[comp.sys.apple] Prodos Limitation

STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (Alan Stein) (05/08/89)

  After suffering with only 40 megabytes on my hard disk for months, I
decided to bite the bullet, back up my hard disk completely and try to
figure out why I was only getting use of 40 megabytes rather than the
entire capacity, which is closer to 41 megabytes (wow, what a difference).
  Following the advise I've received on this board, I did another low
level format and, checking with the formatting program from A2-Central,
found that I had 82028 blocks, or roughly 41.014 megs.  When I booted
GS/OS, I got a message that the device was unformatted (meaning no high
level format), so I tried formatting it then and got the telling message
that "the file system won't use the entire capacity of the drive" (not the
exact wording, but close), and it only formatted it for 40 Megs.
  I tried another low level format and then a high level format through
Advanced Disk Utilities, with the same result.
  How have others managed to get more than 40 megs formatted?
  Would another low level format, followed by a high level format with
Copy II Plus do it?  (I wouldn't think so, since Copy II Plus is a
Prodos 8 application.)

Alan H. Stein              | stein@uconnvm.bitnet
Department of Mathematics  | stein%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu
University of Connecticut  | ...psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!STEIN
32 Hillside Avenue         |
Waterbury, CT 06710        | Compu$erve  71545,1500
(203) 757-1231             | GEnie       ah.stein

V2071A@TEMPLEVM.BITNET ("George A. Piotrowski") (05/08/89)

>   After suffering with only 40 megabytes on my hard disk for months, I
> decided to bite the bullet, back up my hard disk completely and try to
> figure out why I was only getting use of 40 megabytes rather than the
> entire capacity, which is closer to 41 megabytes (wow, what a difference).
>   Following the advise I've received on this board, I did another low
> level format and, checking with the formatting program from A2-Central,
> found that I had 82028 blocks, or roughly 41.014 megs.  When I booted
> GS/OS, I got a message that the device was unformatted (meaning no high
> level format), so I tried formatting it then and got the telling message
> that "the file system won't use the entire capacity of the drive" (not the
> exact wording, but close), and it only formatted it for 40 Megs.
>   I tried another low level format and then a high level format through
> Advanced Disk Utilities, with the same result.
>  How have others managed to get more than 40 megs formatted?
>   Would another low level format, followed by a high level format with
> Copy II Plus do it?  (I wouldn't think so, since Copy II Plus is a
> Prodos 8 application.)
>
> Alan H. Stein              | stein@uconnvm.bitnet
> Department of Mathematics  | stein%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu

Alan,
     Did you try partitioning your hard drive with the Advanced disk
Utilities.  Since ProDOS can only format up to 30 megs per volume, this
is usually the alternate.  I don't have a hard drive myself, but
everything I have read about the bigger drives say you have to partition
them into 2 or more volumes.  Your message doesn't state whether you have
tried this or not.    Good Luck!

          George A. Piotrowski
                                             The Opinions expressed
                                             are my own and do not
       Bitnet:      V2071A@TEMPLEVM          have anything to do with
       Genie:       G.PIOTROWSKI             Temple University.
       Compuserve:  74046,1304               (Well, not much)

SAC.2001CS-SCTC@E.ISI.EDU (05/09/89)

My Apple hard drive experance is limited to 20 meg's but I have a lot
of MS-DOS experance with hard drives.

  There is a "small" item not covered in or by the salesman.  Hard drive
overhead.  Room required by the hard drive for operation.  Some are
greatter then others.  We use a MFM 140 meg hard drive that Preps
(low-level) then formats to 112 Meg.  And thats ALL your going to get
out of it, then knock off for bad sectors and operating system.....

  When you shop or check specs for a hard drive, watch for the FORMATED
capacity.  Thats going to be your Play ground if you buy it...

Lee Coin
Small Computer Center
K.I. Sawyer AFB, MI
SAC.2001CS-SCTC@E.ISI.EDU

(Ya, I know, hes in Michigan and his e-mail is USC???  YOU should work
for the Goverment.)

Begin forwarded message
Date:         Mon, 08 May 89 10:25:08 EDT
From:         "George A. Piotrowski" <V2071A%TEMPLEVM.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
To:           Info-Apple@BRL.MIL
Subject:      Re: Prodos Limitation

>   After suffering with only 40 megabytes on my hard disk for months, I
> decided to bite the bullet, back up my hard disk completely and try to
> figure out why I was only getting use of 40 megabytes rather than the
> entire capacity, which is closer to 41 megabytes (wow, what a difference).
>   Following the advise I've received on this board, I did another low
> level format and, checking with the formatting program from A2-Central,
> found that I had 82028 blocks, or roughly 41.014 megs.  When I booted
> GS/OS, I got a message that the device was unformatted (meaning no high
> level format), so I tried formatting it then and got the telling message
> that "the file system won't use the entire capacity of the drive" (not the
> exact wording, but close), and it only formatted it for 40 Megs.
>   I tried another low level format and then a high level format through
> Advanced Disk Utilities, with the same result.
>  How have others managed to get more than 40 megs formatted?
>   Would another low level format, followed by a high level format with
> Copy II Plus do it?  (I wouldn't think so, since Copy II Plus is a
> Prodos 8 application.)
>
> Alan H. Stein              | stein@uconnvm.bitnet
> Department of Mathematics  | stein%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu

Alan,
     Did you try partitioning your hard drive with the Advanced disk
Utilities.  Since ProDOS can only format up to 30 megs per volume, this
is usually the alternate.  I don't have a hard drive myself, but
everything I have read about the bigger drives say you have to partition
them into 2 or more volumes.  Your message doesn't state whether you have
tried this or not.    Good Luck!

          George A. Piotrowski
                                             The Opinions expressed
                                             are my own and do not
       Bitnet:      V2071A@TEMPLEVM          have anything to do with
       Genie:       G.PIOTROWSKI             Temple University.
       Compuserve:  74046,1304               (Well, not much)

          --------------------

End forwarded message

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (05/09/89)

In article <8905080800.aa24758@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (Alan Stein) writes:

>  How have others managed to get more than 40 megs formatted?

	The ProDOS file system actually is the limiting factor here,
	not the whole of GS/OS.  ProDOS had a limit of 32Mb, and therefore
	the ProDOS FST, which provides access to volumes formated under
	the ProDOS file system, limits the volume size to 32Mb.

	I suggest partitioning your hard drive into two partitions.  You
	can do this using the Advanced Disk Utility on the /System.Tools
	volume.

Cary Farrier

--