[comp.sys.apple] ShrinkIt problems

andyt@pro-exchange.cts.com (Andy Thomason) (05/06/89)

To: Andy Nicholas
I hope that this is newsworthy to you.  It is ported from Washington Apple Pi
in Washington, D.C.  [btw: 301/986-8085]
[W.A.Pi address header - Dan Hughes]
Has any one noticed this major bug in Shrinkit 2.01 (I don't know about the
latest version since I just downloaded it this session.) Anyway, after
launching Shrinkit from the GS Finder, shrinking a file and do any other
business I may have in the program, I quit and bomb into the Finder. Every
Time! The bomb come when I attempt to run another 8-bit program, usually
Mousetalk. Then one a warm reboot, I lose my hard disk and the Finder show
just my ROM disk mounted. NO hard disk at all. It is necessary to Shut down
and turn off my hard disk and the computer in order to restore my Hard disk. I
am going to test out the new version of Shrinkit later tonight, but if it
causes the same problem, I'm going back to Blu 2.28. Maybe the mavens of WAP
downloading have been too rash in accepting this Shrinkit as the new standard
and summarily discarding a dependable old standby.

[W.A.Pi address header - Dale Smith/reply to Dan Hughes]
I have been using ShrinkIT in much the same way as you but nover encountered
the bug - I usually go to ProTERM as a followon program.  Hey, maybe it's
telling you "Don't use Flounder"  :)) - I will check it out some more.  Of
course I NEVER use Finder except to activate/deactivate drivers/DAs.

Well, I just did the following (contrary to my normal practice):

        Boot into ProSel-16
        Goto Device 1
        Select Finder from the */SYSTEM directory
        Launch ShrinkIT 2.02
        Unshrink the GEnie.BITS.SHK file
        Type the GENIE.BITS file
        Quit ShrinkIT 2.02 back to Finder (waiting impatiently of System 5.0!)
        Launch ProTERM from /RAM5/PT
        ** !! NO CRASH !! **
        Now online with that (but only 2/3 of the scrollback I normally have).

It seems to me there may be something else causing the problem.  Actually, I
have been told that the bug fixes in v2.02 are for obscure and infrequently
encountered bugs, not something that would be as common as this.
[... more notes about updates.]
Any ideas may be posted to me here or to Dale Smith (dales@pro-novapple).
Thanks...

)-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-(
( UUCP: crash!pro-exchange!andyt          )  "I THINK too much, therefore...
) ARPA: crash!pro-exchange!andyt@nosc.mil (                ...I AM too much!"
( INET: andyt@pro-exchange.cts.com        )  --------/|
)  -all addresses also apply to pro-south (   ------/_|   _________
(-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-)    ----/  |ndy |homason

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (05/08/89)

Note that anyone using a hard disk and GS/OS should try to locate the
SCSI driver patchs by Glen Bredon.  I dont have them, but they are for
folks using an Apple SCSI controller at least - I dont know about CMS
controllers, etc.

I dont think they are for the First Class Perphs. controller.
--
Larry W. Virden	 674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817
75046,606 (CIS) ; LVirden (ALPE) ; osu-cis!n8emr!lwv (UUCP)

shankar@bedrock.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Son of Knuth) (05/09/89)

In article <1081@n8emr.UUCP> lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) writes:

>Note that anyone using a hard disk and GS/OS should try to locate the
>SCSI driver patchs by Glen Bredon.  I dont have them, but they are for
>folks using an Apple SCSI controller at least - I dont know about CMS
>controllers, etc.

Presumably, these patches are for more efficient SCSI drive access - right?

Does anybody know where these patches are available?
And as long as we're at it, does Glen Bredon have an ArpaNet address?

---
Subash Shankar             Honeywell Systems & Research Center
voice: (612) 782 7558      US Snail: 3660 Technology Dr., Minneapolis, MN 55418
shankar@src.honeywell.com  srcsip!shankar

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (05/09/89)

In article <21563@srcsip.UUCP> shankar@bedrock.UUCP (Son of Knuth) writes:
>In article <1081@n8emr.UUCP> lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) writes:
>>
>>Note that anyone using a hard disk and GS/OS should try to locate the
>>SCSI driver patchs by Glen Bredon.  I dont have them, but they are for
>>folks using an Apple SCSI controller at least - I dont know about CMS
>>controllers, etc.
>
>Presumably, these patches are for more efficient SCSI drive access - right?
>
>Does anybody know where these patches are available?
>And as long as we're at it, does Glen Bredon have an ArpaNet address?

	I *STRONGLY* advise people *NOT* to use somebody elses SCSI patches
	with System Disk 5.0.  It may have been alright with 4.0, the SCSI
	driver provided was an interim driver, but with 5.0 the patches will
	most likely fail, if you are lucky.  If not then things might get
	quite messy.

Cary Farrier

--