[comp.sys.apple] Large HD's under ProDOS 8

djhill@rodan.acs.syr.edu ( Number_6 **) (05/09/89)

Here's yet another question for you folks out there in netland.  How
does ProDOS 8 deal with large (read: >200Mb) hard disks.  At the moment
I run a BBS on a 20Mb chinook (which I love by the way), but it's just too
damn small.  I've spotted a nice 340 Mb SCSI drive (Miniscribe) but I'm
wondering how ProDOS 8 can deal with a drive this size.  I know each
P8 volume can only be 32 Mb but even if I can get partitioning software
that's still almost 10 drives!  I'm not sure but it seems that there
might not be enough slot/drive spaces for that.  Anyone know the max.
number of drives on P8?  Are there likely to be any problems hooking this
beast to an Apple SCSI card?
        I don't have a GS so GSOS isn't really a big help here.  THanks

Douglas J. Hill                        "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped,
   djhill@rodan.acs.syr.edu       indexed, briefed, de-briefed or numbered!
   RSDJH  @ SUVM (BITNET)           ...My life is my own."

blochowi@cat28.CS.WISC.EDU (Jason Blochowiak) (05/09/89)

In article <1533@cmx.npac.syr.edu> djhill@rodan.acs.syr.edu writes:
>Here's yet another question for you folks out there in netland.  How
>does ProDOS 8 deal with large (read: >200Mb) hard disks.
	Well, it depends on what slot you have it in...
>I've spotted a nice 340 Mb SCSI drive (Miniscribe) [...]
	Yick. The one MiniScribe mech I have seeks kind of loudly, but it's
about 2 years old.
>[each] P8 volume can only be 32 Mb but even if I can get partitioning software
>that's still almost 10 drives!
	Ok, if the SCSI card goes in slot 5, ProDOS 8 will be able to support
4 partitions (it will map the last two to slot 2), giving you 128Mb of storage,
which isn't too shabby, but certainly doesn't take full advantage of the
drive. If it goes into any other slot, you'll only have 64Mb. I don't think
it'd be possible to have more than one SCSI card hooked up to the same drive
(I bet it's possible, but I think the partitioning is handled on each card) to
solve your problem.
	You can get two SeaGate 277N mechs for ~$900, and that'd push you up
to the 128Mb limit.
	I think that it'd be possible to patch ProDOS to spread the
partitions out even more, but that could cause problems with any programs
that bypass ProDOS' device interface and go to the SmartPort interface. I
doubt that any BBS program does this, but there are some utility programs
that do it (not many, tho'). Anyways, even if you get that to work, you'd
have a maximum of 7 partitions (and you'd have to borrow someone's gs to do
that because, if I remember right, the Apple //e SCSI utilities (which come
with the SCSI card) won't do that many, but the Advanced Disk Utilities
will - anyways, it'd be a temporary problem), which is what, 224Mb? Definitely
better, but it seems like it'd be something of a waste (not using 116Mb?
Sheesh). Anyways, I suppose that might be something to look into...
>Are there likely to be any problems hooking this beast to an Apple SCSI card?
	As long as it's SCSI, there should be no problems with the card
communicating with the drive.
>Douglas J. Hill

		Jason Blochowiak (blochowi@garfield.cs.wisc.edu)
			"Not your average iconoclast..."