[comp.sys.apple] AppleTalk & IIgs

delton@pro-carolina.cts.com (Don Elton) (05/08/89)

I know I should probably read this up in my developer docs somewhere but does
anyone know off hand what is required as a minimum configuration (hardware &
software) to make use of AppleTalk for file transfers between a IIgs and a Mac
SE?

UUCP: [ sdcsvax nosc ] !crash!pro-carolina!delton
ARPA: crash!pro-carolina!delton@nosc.mil
INET: delton@pro-carolina.cts.com

Pro-Carolina: 803-776-3936 (300-2400 baud, login as 'register')
     US Mail: 3207 Berkeley Forest Drive, Columbia, SC  29209-4111

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (05/09/89)

In article <8905080136.AA20888@crash.cts.com> pnet01!pro-sol!pro-carolina!delton@nosc.mil writes:
>I know I should probably read this up in my developer docs somewhere but does
>anyone know off hand what is required as a minimum configuration (hardware &
>software) to make use of AppleTalk for file transfers between a IIgs and a Mac
>SE?

	If you are using GS/OS, then when system disk 5.0 is released (If you
	are a developer you might have access to developmental releases, Matt
	D. or Dave Lyons would know more about this (hint!)), you could
	set up your SE as a file server and install AppleShare on your GS/OS
	system and simply drag the files over using the IIGS Finder.  All this
	can be done on a 512k IIGS.

Cary Farrier

--
+--------------+-------------------+
| Cary Farrier | farrier@apple.com | Ok, how's this for net traffic?
+--------------+-------------------+

REWING@TRINCC.BITNET (05/10/89)

Actually, you could drag copy something from the file server on
System 3.2, but this was *not* a kosher way to access the server.  Appleshare
was not meant for the Finder. In fact, it is possible for Finder to prompt
you with the dialog box "Please insert the disk "File Server"".  What happens
is that the Finder would screw up on any file or subdirectory that didn't
follow standard ProDOS naming conventions...real inconvenient on an Appleshare
server.  The new GS/OS 5.0 will change all that.  And thank God.  Since
I have no modem on my GS, most of the telecommunications programs I have
(ProTerm, ApplelinkPE, etc., but Zlink can!) can't handle a straight serial
connection to the our Northern Telecom SL-1 phone switch.  So I do most
of my downloads from the mac, and then use Apple File Exchange to swap
the files the the GS.  Having a common server download volume will make
my life *so* much easier.

--Rick Ewing
  Apple Atlanta