[comp.sys.apple] Applefest & System Disk 5.0

LWELCH@COLGATEU.BITNET (05/10/89)

Dave Seah writes:

>Let me add that GS/OS 5.0 sounds like two buckets of fun!  However significant
>the announcement is, ya still can't get a hold of it until summer.  *sigh*

>That's why I put GS/OS 5.0 under "Not a Significant Release"!
-------------
I think that System Disk 5.0 IS a significant announcement (note: it won't be
released until summer).  The new system disk shows that Apple is standing
behind the Apple // line.  The system disk speeds up Appleworks GS overall,
making it twice as fast as under 4.0 (plus loading all of it in half a minute
with the new version by CLARIS).

This kind of speed is the same improvement over 4.0 that the Transwarp //GS
gave users.  Apple has made Appleworks //GS a usable piece of software without
any changes in the hardware.  With a Transwarp //GS and System 5.0, Appleworks
//GS will be amazing compared to now.

The internal improvements in System Disk 5.0 (especially the new Text toolset)
will make programming with System Disk 5.0 much easier than it is now.  Steve
Glass talked about making programming a Desktop Program as easy as Applesoft
programs are easy to write.  I find it hard to imagine it being THAT easy to
program (PASCAL in ROM?), but it will make life easier for programmers.  The
new disk also shows Apple's support of SCSI hard disk drives.  I would hope to
see a built-in SCSI interface in the new //GS.

Also, for those who wondered if there would be an Applefest this fall,
Cambridge had notices up that next year's Applefest would be in Boston on May
11th.  The fact that Apple has announced the new System Disk early instead of
waiting until it can be released shows that they are committed to improving the
Apple // line.  They may also be keeping the System Disk from being
overshadowed by a new Apple //GS+ announcement this fall.

I feel that System Disk 5.0 is the most important announcement made at
Applefest.  It certainly was the most fun to play with (those who were with me
complained about how much time I spent with it).  Apple has increased the speed
of the //GS for Desktop programs as much as the Transwarp & has done so with no
hardware changes.  When the CPU is speeded up as well, the Apple //GS will no
longer be a Mac-toy, but a powerful system all on its own.

|  Chip Welch                                "Apple ][ Forever!"             |
|  Chipmunk Computer Systems                                                 |
|  CU Box L3058                         BITNET:  LWELCH@COLGATEU.BITNET      |
|  Hamilton, NY 13346                   GEnie:   C.WELCH3                    |