[comp.sys.apple] Give 'em all a GS!

sk2f+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Seth D. Kadesh") (05/01/89)

     Here's a novel idea.  It is my opinion that we could only benefit
from a large user base.  If all of those 8 bit apples magically became
GS's, we would have a lot more marketing clout.  More people would
develop for the GS, because there would be more people to buy their
products.  Instead of a computer with an uncertain future, we could
become a solid and credible base upon which innovation would grow.
     Of course, this is just a thought.  No one at Apple would consider
something like this.  Notice I have not mentioned feasibility and cost.
It would have to be low cost, and highly accessible.  Why are there any
IIes still out there!!??!  If Apple had pushed harder for the IIe -> GS
conversion kit, it might have sold more.  This isn't even considering
the IIs and II+s, or the IIcs.

  -seth
   sk2f+@andrew.cmu.edu
tHe mAd ScienTisT, and other carnations.  Live, on tour in a city near
you.  I have a headache.

jeffrey@ccnysci.UUCP (Jeffrey L Bromberger) (05/06/89)

In article <IYKtGyy00WE1M17ksY@andrew.cmu.edu> sk2f+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Seth D. Kadesh") writes:

>Why are there any
>IIes still out there!!??!  If Apple had pushed harder for the IIe -> GS
>conversion kit, it might have sold more.  This isn't even considering
>the IIs and II+s, or the IIcs.
>
>  -seth

Seth, I strongly suggest that you take a good look around.  ]['s (in
the form of + & e) have been in classrooms since I was in High School
(1981).  IMHO, the schools (didn't I hear that they represented the
largest ][ base?) won't ditch their machines and software just to make
the GS people happy.  BTW, how many of these ][e's out there in
schools were never 'enhanced'?  I'm willing to bet that many of them
weren't, even after the upgrade chips became widely available.
Midwood High School (in Brooklyn, NY) still had 4 of the old black
Bell&Howell ]['s running - boy, were they nice machines!

From the terminal of a happy ][e (or //e :-) user.
--
Jeffrey L. Bromberger
System Operator---City College of New York---Science Computing Facility

sk2f+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Seth D. Kadesh") (05/07/89)

In article <1871@ccnysci.UUCP> ccnysci!jeffrey@nyu.edu ("Jeffrey L
Bromberger") writes:

] In article <IYKtGyy00WE1M17ksY@andrew.cmu.edu> sk2f+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU
("Seth D.
] Kadesh") writes:
] >
] >Why are there any
] >IIes still out there!!??!  If Apple had pushed harder for the IIe ->
GS
] >conversion kit, it might have sold more.  This isn't even considering
] >the IIs and II+s, or the IIcs.
] >
] >  -seth

] Seth, I strongly suggest that you take a good look around.  ]['s (in
] the form of + & e) have been in classrooms since I was in High School
] (1981).  IMHO, the schools (didn't I hear that they represented the
] largest ][ base?) won't ditch their machines and software just to make
] the GS people happy.  BTW, how many of these ][e's out there in
] schools were never 'enhanced'?

       You missed my point (I wasn't very clear).  Everybody loses if
the Apple II line is dropped.  The II (+ e c) are not so dissimilar that
they can't be grouped together and considered "one" machine.  The
indtroduction of the GS (funny I should talk introduction - its been
here for at least 3 years now - right?) represents a major break from
the family.  But this break is only good if people support it.  And the
more people purchase the GS, the more it is supported.  If the GS is not
supported, its only going to look like a IIe with some fancy colors.
     As for the schools, they have almost nothing to lose by upgrading
their machines.  I certainly wouldn't ask them to do it to make the GS
people happy.  But the GS represents the future for the entire Apple II
line.  If it dies, they all do (I'm not talking about third parties and
user bases and stuff like that).  And with very few exceptions, most
software will run on the GS.  Typical school hardware (printers, etc.)
will also function well with the GS.  As for throwing away the machine
itself (the IIe or II+ in question) - you've got a nice, new GS to play
with.

btw, my high school enhanced all of their IIes.  they now have mostly
GS's.  too bad they don't know what to do with them (learning how to use
Appleworks is the standard course)

] Jeffrey L. Bromberger
] System Operator---City College of New York---Science Computing Facility
] Anywhere!{cmcl2,philabs,phri}!ccnysci!jeffrey	jeffrey@ccnysci.BITNET

 - seth kadesh
sk2f+@andrew.cmu.edu
tHe mAd ScienTisT, and other carnations.

) (05/11/89)

Network Comment: to #3235 by pnet01!crash!nyu.edu!ccnysci!jeffrey

>Midwood High School (in Brooklyn, NY) still had 4 of the old black
>Bell&Howell ]['s running - boy, were they nice machines!

Hey! I went to an elementry that had 2 Bell&Howells and I never could get half
my programs I wrote to run on them....

Even though I don't have an enhanced //e (yet) I am looking into it. I doubt I
would ever upgrade (update?) to //gs for the plain reason that it costs too
much and I don't NEED to. Why should I when the computer and software I have
suit me fine the way it is. (You stated so about the school systems as well)

Most of my schools I have attended have Apple // series computers. Out of all
the computer labs that were used, I saw a remarkable *2* in Austin, Tx.

Both of which were restricted for use by instructors only, and both of those
instructors were as computer-illiterate as...as...well, you get the picture.

Jason Hughes
| panther@pro-lep                    |   "Either the goddam bit is there,   |
|      Don't Drink and Purr.         |     or it's not there!"              |