[comp.sys.apple] Lisas

edber@pro-generic.cts.com (Ed Berlot) (05/11/89)

Hal M Writes

>Subject: Desperately Seeking Lisa Support

>Dear Friends,

>        We have just had a Lisa computer donated. It has 2 ram & a hard disk
>but very little software. (1) We are in desperate need of software and
>manuals. Also, we have (2) questions about turning this early mac into a real
>mac. Is this possible? (3) we need a printer. (4) Does anyone know of a Lisa
>users group? (5) Does anyone know of anyone in Managua who is familiar with
>Lisa's or who could give some support to the ORD?
>       Please respond either here or e-mail to hmuskat.
        Thanks.
-halM-

And another user writes :

>From: pnet01!crash!tut.cis.ohio-state.edu!mailrus!ulowell!m2c!wpi!andrewb
>(Andrew J Bastien)
>Have you tried calling Apple?  I know they're not much help, but they should
>be able to point you in the right direction.  And don't forget your local
>dealer!  If he can't perform the necessary surgery, he probably can tell
>where it can be done.

>I hope this helps some.

Well first off Apple? HAHA HA HA. IN Canada we have one guy in the ENTIRE
Apple Canada network who knows ANYTHING remotely technical about Lisas. If it
wasn't for him, I wouldn't have known that Apple doesn't charge dealers for
parts for the Lisa.  It cost me a mediocre $85.00 from one of the few remaing
dealers that know ANYTHING about Lisas to replace my powersupply and check the
unit over. That was impressive.

Now over to HAL M's Questions.

1)Software and manuals will be tough in most cases I would suggest calling
Sun Remarkting in Utah (who Apple has seemed to given all development and
support work to), they can help you out the most . Lisa software is almost non
existant, I stumbled across the entire 7/7 office system for 20 bucks a
module. The catch? They were on 5.25 disks. I called Apple about exchanging
them for 3.5's HA! Don't make me laugh.

2)Turning it into a QUASI Mac is easy and semi expensive. They now have
something(Sun remarketing) called Macworks + , which they sell for $200 US, I
understand that this is  a combination of the original Macworks which allowed
you to run most Mac software, plus the combination of HFS(as opposed to MFS)
being built in. I currently use a hack on MFS that gives me HFS, it works, but
its slow and memory hungry. With 2 mbs of memory, you are doing VERY WELL!
I suspect you have the 10mb Widget machine(incidently  ANDREWB.. if he has a
hard disk, its probably a Lisa 2.. I don't belive that a lot of Lisas made it
out before the conversion).

3) Printers.. no problem, the Lisa has 2 serial ports and probably 3 parallel
ports. The Parallel ports are for running Profiles and you may have a hard
time running anything else out of them. The serial ports will support any
printer, but Apple only supports the Imagewriter. I'm sure you can find Cheap
IW I's almost anywhere.

4) Lisa Users group? Hmm interesting, there was a small conference on Bix
about Lisas, but it was generaly dead all the time. Perhaps this is one of the
few times Apple can help you, or you can contact your local Mac users group,
they may have a few people who remember what a Lisa was.

5) That last question is a toughy. You ask me for all the support you need, I
don't claim to be an expert, but I probably know a bit more about the machine
the clowns at Apple. I can be reached via here, or the Proline Network E-Mail
system.

I hope this helps.

| Edber@Pro-Generic             BIX: Edber      Genie :Edber               |
| I used to love her but I had to kill her...                              |