[comp.sys.apple] Prodos Limitations

STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (Alan Stein) (05/10/89)

  Several people have responded to my inquiry about why I haven't been
able to use more than 40 megs out of my 45 meg hard drive.  Thanks.
  The answer seems to be that apparently GS/OS insists on a relatively
round number of megs when it formats a hard drive.  The low level format
seems to leave between 41 and 42 megs out of the 45, and then the high
level format rounds things off to 40 megs.
  I guess I can live with that.

  Someone else had a question about high capacity hard drives under
Prodos 8.  My understanding was that Prodos 8 will only recognize
two SCSI devices per card.  At 32 Megs apiece, that would mean that
an uncustomized version of Prodos 8 will only use up to 64 Megs.

Alan H. Stein              | stein@uconnvm.bitnet
Department of Mathematics  | stein%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu
University of Connecticut  | ...psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!STEIN
32 Hillside Avenue         |
Waterbury, CT 06710        | Compu$erve  71545,1500
(203) 757-1231             | GEnie       ah.stein

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (05/10/89)

In article <8905100033.aa06016@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (Alan Stein) writes:

>  Several people have responded to my inquiry about why I haven't been
>able to use more than 40 megs out of my 45 meg hard drive.  Thanks.
>  The answer seems to be that apparently GS/OS insists on a relatively
>round number of megs when it formats a hard drive.  The low level format
>seems to leave between 41 and 42 megs out of the 45, and then the high
>level format rounds things off to 40 megs.

	As I said in my post before, GS/OS is not the limitation. The
	limitation is inherent in the old ProDOS filing system.  ProDOS
	can only format a volume up to 32Mb.  Therefore if you want to use
	your entire drive, partition it.

Cary Farrier

shawn@pnet51.cts.com (Shawn Stanley) (05/11/89)

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) writes:
>In article <8905100033.aa06016@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (Alan Stein) writes:
>>
>>  Several people have responded to my inquiry about why I haven't been
>>able to use more than 40 megs out of my 45 meg hard drive.  Thanks.
>>  The answer seems to be that apparently GS/OS insists on a relatively
>>round number of megs when it formats a hard drive.  The low level format
>>seems to leave between 41 and 42 megs out of the 45, and then the high
>>level format rounds things off to 40 megs.
>
>	As I said in my post before, GS/OS is not the limitation. The
>	limitation is inherent in the old ProDOS filing system.  ProDOS
>	can only format a volume up to 32Mb.  Therefore if you want to use
>	your entire drive, partition it.

Forgive me, but this just seems a little bizarre.  On one hand, Alan says he
can format his hard drive to 40 Mb.  On the other hand, Cary says that's
because ProDOS can only format a volume up to 32 Mb.

You guys are 8 Mb apart in your discussion!

One valid point is that no matter what ProDOS does with the volume when you go
to use it, you should be able to do a low level format to the entire drive.
As someone mentioned earlier, the unformatted and formatted drive space can be
two totally different numbers, depending a lot on your controller and the
formatting method it uses, etc.  I rather think that's part of the answer
here.

UUCP: {uunet!rosevax, amdahl!bungia, chinet, killer}!orbit!pnet51!shawn
INET: shawn@pnet51.cts.com