[comp.sys.apple] System Disk 5.0 memory requirements

LWELCH@COLGATEU.BITNET (05/10/89)

>Cary Farrier writes:

        If you are using GS/OS, then when system disk 5.0 is released (If you
        are a developer you might have access to developmental releases, Matt
        D. or Dave Lyons would know more about this (hint!)), you could
        set up your SE as a file server and install AppleShare on your GS/OS
        system and simply drag the files over using the IIGS Finder.  All this
        can be done on a 512k IIGS.
-------------

I was under the impression that for Appleshare use with System Disk 5.0, you
needed at least 768K.  Is this true?  Do you happen to know the size of all the
files that Install System Files in the Installer (including Finder) would take
up on disk?  Unfortunately, I don't have a developmental release to play with.

Chip

|  Chip Welch                                "Apple ][ Forever!"             |
|  Chipmunk Computer Systems                                                 |
|  CU Box L3058                         BITNET:  LWELCH@COLGATEU.BITNET      |
|  Hamilton, NY 13346                   GEnie:   C.WELCH3                    |
`----------------------------------------------------------------------------'

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (05/10/89)

In article <8905092335.aa05254@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> LWELCH@COLGATEU.BITNET writes:
>I was under the impression that for Appleshare use with System Disk 5.0, you
>needed at least 768K.  Is this true?  Do you happen to know the size of all the
>files that Install System Files in the Installer (including Finder) would take
>up on disk?  Unfortunately, I don't have a developmental release to play with.

	You should only need 512k.  If somebody finds that it doesn't run
	on their 512k system then let me know. I don't know the total size of
	all the files installed by "Install System Files", because it varies.
	When the disk is released, it will be easier to tell.

Cary Farrier

In article <30424@apple.Apple.COM> farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) writes:
>In article <8905092335.aa05254@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> LWELCH@COLGATEU.BITNET writes:
>	You should only need 512k.  If somebody finds that it doesn't run
>	on their 512k system then let me know. I don't know the total size of
>	all the files installed by "Install System Files", because it varies.
>	When the disk is released, it will be easier to tell.
>
>Cary Farrier

"Hey, Cary!"  :-)

Seriously, AppleShare usage of 5.0 does require 768K, at least according to
the press releases and information sheets released by Apple.

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions expressed in this tome
Send PERSONAL mail ONLY (please) to:  | should not be construed to imply that
AppleLink PE: Matt DTS  GEnie: AIIDTS | Apple Computer, Inc., or any of its
CompuServe: 76703,3030                | subsidiaries, in whole or in part,
Usenet:  mattd@apple.com              | have any opinion on any subject."
UUCP:  (other stuff)!ames!apple!mattd | "So there."

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (05/11/89)

In article <30470@apple.Apple.COM> mattd@Apple.COM (Matt Deatherage) writes:

>"Hey, Cary!"  :-)
>
>Seriously, AppleShare usage of 5.0 does require 768K, at least according to
>the press releases and information sheets released by Apple.

	You are absolutely right, Matt.  Leave it to me to trust the word
	of the AppleTalk/AppleShare "guru" in my team...

Cary Farrier