[comp.sys.apple] Mac vs. // support

kadickey@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kent Andrew Dickey) (05/10/89)

First, I don't think I understand why this Mac system software release
was cross-posted here to comp.sys.apple--this is the //-oriented group.

But I'm glad they did because it gives me a chance to point out:
although the Apple people on the net who work with the // say they can't
tell us ANYTHING at all about Apple's directions for the //-line, in the
Mac section, they are telling us their plans for the next 2 years!  And
details too!  I hope this double-dealing by Apple eventually catches up
with them and teaches them a lesson.

I mean, if the // is really going to be dumped--just say so!  Leading us
on hoping for a //gs+ won't help any at all if it never materializes.

So, since we now know where Apple is taking the Mac, can someone please
tell us where the // is going?

[And note I didn't cross-post this to the mac conferences--what do they
care about the //?...]

			Kent Dickey
kadickey@phoenix.Princeton.Edu
kadickey@PUCC

marc@lakesys.UUCP (Marc Rassbach) (05/10/89)

In article <8265@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> kadickey@phoenix.Princeton.EDU () writes:
>with them and teaches them a lesson.

With me, Apple and their "new" policies will not get my business.   I will not
buy a Mac, nor any Apple product.   Apple "abandon its roots" in favor of
a profit, so they will not make a profit off of me.  I just hope the lack
of openness with C'}the consumer will bring them to their knees, as their
previous openness brought them to greatness.

(Yea, yea.  The market has changed from the old days.   Just let me sit
here with my 48K and be happy  :-)   :-)   )

--
Marc Rassbach     marc@lakesys	              If you take my advice, that
"I can't C with my AI closed"                 is your problem, not mine!

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) (05/10/89)

In article <8265@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> kadickey@phoenix.Princeton.EDU () writes:
>First, I don't think I understand why this Mac system software release
>was cross-posted here to comp.sys.apple--this is the //-oriented group.
>
>But I'm glad they did because it gives me a chance to point out:
>although the Apple people on the net who work with the // say they can't
>tell us ANYTHING at all about Apple's directions for the //-line, in the
>Mac section, they are telling us their plans for the next 2 years!  And
>details too!  I hope this double-dealing by Apple eventually catches up
>with them and teaches them a lesson.

As the person who cross-posted the original announcement, I did so because
System 7.0 is important for anyone interested in Apple computers.  Changes
which Apple makes to the Mac and Apple II systems ultimately affect all
Apple users.

Although I cannot talk about what is coming down the road, Jean-Louis
Gassee spoke at the Dev Converence last night and did say publically
that there are Apple II software and hardware products in engineering
at this moment that will be released in good time.  He also stated that
Apple will be producing more Apple II cpus in Q1 1990 than Q1 1989.

Mark B. Johnson                                            AppleLink: mjohnson
Developer Technical Support                         domain: mjohnson@Apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.         UUCP:  {amdahl,decwrl,sun,unisoft}!apple!mjohnson

"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"
                                                         - Richard Bach, _One_

>at this moment that will be released in good time.  He also stated that
>Apple will be producing more Apple II cpus in Q1 1990 than Q1 1989.

Counting all the IIgs+ upgrade kits (or not)? :-)))

If the IIgs+ isn't at least shown at AppleFest in September, Apple may
find find itself in possession of lots of overripe fruit and other
produce (figuratively if not literally).

Did anyone else notice the numbers in the A+/InCider (June '89, p. 20)

1988 Educational software sales:

Macintosh $5.0 million
Commodore 64 $5.4 million
Apple 2 $80 million!!!  (Time to buy stock in Video Technologies)

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (05/12/89)

Please note that with the pre-announcement of System Disk 5.0 Apple has
made a similar move with the GS as they have with the Mac.  While SD 5.0
doesnt have the functionality of Mac SD 7.0, it is indeed an early announcement
as the final product may be as many as 4 months away.
--
Larry W. Virden	 674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817
n8emr!lwv@cis.ohio-state.edu (Internet)