[comp.sys.apple] IIgs Replacement Battery

edward@pro-harvest.UUCP (System Administrator) (05/02/89)

Maybe there is some hope for those users who have experienced the
mind-wrenching terror of a failed GS battery. :)  Here's a message that I
pulled from the A2RT on GEnie, which announces a easy-to-install replacement:

----------
Category 4,  Topic 5
Message 64        Sat Apr 29, 1989
OA.VAN                       at 10:45 EDT

News Release follows:

Nite Owl Productions 5734 Lamar Mission, Kansas 66202 (913) 362-9898 Bob
Shofstall April 27, 1989

------->  IIgs Replacement Batteries <---------
         "Slide-on" for easy installation

Mission, Kansas - Nite Owl Productions is now shipping TADIRAN - Lithium
replacement batteries for the IIgs computer. These batteries are identical
to the original equipment battery except that they contain special "slide-
on" terminal connectors which do not require soldering.

Battery replacement is simple. The original battery is removed by cutting
its wire leads leaving a length of wire (about 1/2 inch) sticking out and
still soldered to the computer board. The new battery can be slid onto the
old battery leads.

These new batteries are available for immediate shipment at the following
prices which include shipping and handling. Overseas orders should include
an additional $2 for shipping.

 Quantity                    Price
  1-9                        $9.35
  10-100                     $7.85
  100+                       $7.15

The original equipment batteries supplied in the IIgs tend to run out of
juice after a littel more than 2 years. This new product should help reduce
horror stories of computer dealers charging customers for a complete new
motherboard for their computer when all it needs is an inexpensive battery.

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------
end of press release

The above press release came to the office recently and I thought that it
would be good information for here. Any typos and mispellings are mine
(sorry <grin>)

Tom Vanderpool
 ------------

I've seen the price of this same battery, sans these connectors, at Newark
Electronics for about $5, so this price isn't too outrageous; Newark has a
minimum order of $25, and few users would want or need more than one battery
at a time.  I haven't seen the instructions for this replacement kit, but I
hope that they tell you -not- to dispose of the battery in your trash: Apple
dealers have specific instructions on how to properly dispose of them, but the
general GS-owning population may not realize that lithium batteries are
considered hazardous material by the Government.

 ProLine: edward@pro-harvest               | pro-harvest +1 312 253 8239
   UUCP: crash!pro-harvest!edward          | 24 hour operation
   ARPA: crash!pro-harvest!edward@nosc.mil | 300/1200/2400 bps
InterNet: edward@pro-harvest.cts.com       | Online since 1 April 1989

dseah@wpi.wpi.edu (David I Seah) (05/05/89)

In article <8905030757.AA17406@crash.cts.com> pnet01!pro-sol!pro-newfrontier!pro-nfmail01!pro-harvest!edward@nosc.mil writes:
[DESCRIPTION OF "SLIDE-ON" BATTERY DELETED]
>...I haven't seen the instructions for this replacement kit, but I
>hope that they tell you -not- to dispose of the battery in your trash: Apple
>dealers have specific instructions on how to properly dispose of them, but the
>general GS-owning population may not realize that lithium batteries are
>considered hazardous material by the Government.

How does one dispose of lithium batteries?  Burn 'em/flush 'em/bury 'em/
microwave 'em/feed 'em to the cat/mail 'em to MacWeek/snort 'em?

I probably wouldn't feed 'em to the cat :)

Dave Seah (dseah@wpi.wpi.edu, dseah@wpi.bitnet);
Disclaimer:  I WAS KIDDING, YOU LITERAL-MINDED WHUZZAT!
	     Non-whuzzats need not take offense.

edward@pro-harvest.UUCP (System Administrator) (05/09/89)

Network Comment: to #472 by obsolete!m2c!wpi!dseah%husc6.harvard.edu

>How does one dispose of lithium batteries?  Burn 'em/flush 'em/bury 'em/
>microwave 'em/feed 'em to the cat/mail 'em to MacWeek/snort 'em?

Uh, um, well, yeah, that's a good question.  I don't know exactly how the
batteries should be disposed; incineration is probably the best way, if you
can handle breathing the by-products.  Just don't bury 'em: lithium and water
is an interesting combination.  Personally, I'm mailing mine to Mac the Knife.
:)

Disclaimer: Don't Try This At Home, Kids!

 ProLine: edward@pro-harvest               | pro-harvest +1 312 253 8239
   UUCP: crash!pro-harvest!edward          | 24 hour operation
   ARPA: crash!pro-harvest!edward@nosc.mil | 300/1200/2400 bps
InterNet: edward@pro-harvest.cts.com       | Online since 1 April 1989

m.tiernan@pro-angmar.UUCP (Michael Tiernan) (05/14/89)

Network Comment: to #375 by obsolete!pnet01!pro-harvest!edward%nosc.mil

No!!!!  You don't just throw the batteries away!  You are supposed to send
them to Apple!  Yes, seriously, they are condsidered hasardus waste and as I
gather, the agreement with the government to use them states that they have to
dispose of the old ones!  Someone at Apple have this info?  I remember it in
A+ a while back.

<< MCT >>

BCS Apple/Boston Connection     [MCT] (617) 893-5681
GEnie                           M.Tiernan
AppleLinkPE                     M Tiernan
BCS Net                         Michael Tiernan
obsolete!pro-angmar!m.tiernan@bloom-beacon.mit.edu
obsolete!pro-angmar!m.tiernan@bu-it.bu.edu
pro-angmar!m.tiernan@obsolete.uucp
m.tiernan@pro-angmar.cts.com