[comp.sys.apple] renaming comp.sys.apple, again

hartkopf@tramp.Colorado.EDU (HARTKOPF JEFFREY M) (05/13/89)

In article <1085@n8emr.UUCP> lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) writes:

>Murphy - honestly, I didnt talk mark into making those cross postings!
>But here again is an example of what I was trying to tell folks a couple
>of weeks ago when I posted a request for discussion about a rename of the
>comp.sys.apple group to comp.sys.apple2.  I have received approx 7 msgs
>agreeing that this should be done, 2 msgs stating that it would be too hard
>and 2 who wanted to know why I wanted to do it.
>
>Not too resounding.  Sigh...

I agree.  We have now seen an excellent example of the reason to rename
comp.sys.apple to comp.sys.apple2.  This newsgroup is for the Apple II, not
the Apple.  My dad went into an Apple computer store the other day, looking
for product information for a project he was working on, and was told by the
saleswoman that "we have two kinds of computers: Apples and Macs."  He almost
laughed at her.  Since when are Macs not Apples?  And since when have we
dropped the "II"?

-- Jeff Hartkopf

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (05/14/89)

In article <8803@boulder.Colorado.EDU> hartkopf@tramp.Colorado.EDU (HARTKOPF JEFFREY M) writes:
>We have now seen an excellent example of the reason to rename
>comp.sys.apple to comp.sys.apple2.

Bogus reasoning.  I complained to Mark about the cross-posting,
and he said that he was well aware that this was an Apple II newsgroup
but posted the Mac info here anyway.  With an attitude like that,
even if the group had been named "Apple-II-only-dammit" the problem
would still have occurred.