[comp.sys.apple] APPLE ANNOUNCES GS/OS 5.0--Press Release

REWING@TRINCC.BITNET (05/05/89)

Here's the press release for GS/OS, right off the presses.

New Apple IIGS System Software at AppleFest

NEW SYSTEM SOFTWARE IMPROVES APPLE IIGS PERFORMANCE
AND ACCESS TO THE APPLETALK NETWORK SYSTEM

Boston, Massachusetts.  May 5,1989.  Apple Computer, Inc. announced and
demonstrated at the AppleFest(R) trade show here today new system software
that improves the speed, performance and ease of use of Apple IIGS(R)
computers.  Apple IIGS System Software 5.0 is the first 16-bit operating system
for the Apple IIGS that operates over the AppleTalk(R) network system.  It
provides easier access to network services under an improved native-mode
operating system that serves both individual and networked users.  The new
software will be available this summer.

"The Apple(R) II continues to be an important part of our business,"
said Jean-Louis Gassee, president of Apple Products.  "Products such as
Apple IIGS System Software 5.0 and the Apple II Video Overlay Card, introduced
last month, demonstrate Apple's continued commitment to providing evolutionary
improvements that add functionality and richness to the Apple II computing
experience."

Apple IIGS System Software 5.0 is compatible with applications written for
ProDOS(R) 8 and ProDOS 16 that follow Apple software design guidelines.  It
replaces both System Software Version 4.0 for the stand-alone Apple IIGS and
AppleShare(R) IIGS WorkStation Software for networked IIGS systems,
providing a consistent graphics interface and high performance for both the
individual and networked users.

AppleTalk Network System Compatibility Benefits Users in Schools

The Apple IIGS is used primarily in homes and elementary and secondary
school
 There has been a growing demand from schools for networking solutions
for classrooms, administrative offices and computer labs.  Schools that network
realize economies of time and resources by sharing data and peripherals and
reducing floppy-disk handling.  The AppleTalk network system, which uses
AppleShare software on a Macintosh(R) file server, enables schools to network
their Apple IIGS computers with each other and with Apple IIe, Macintosh and
MS-DOS computers.

System Software 5.0 provides easy access to the AppleTalk network system
through a graphics interface in the Finder(TM), Control Panel and other
utilities.  Compared to the AppleShare IIGS Workstation Software it replaces,
the new software provides more information about and easier access to network
resources.  Sharing data files, printers and other peripherals is easier than
before.  In addition to accessing the network by starting up, or booting, from
their own disks, users may boot over the network.  This means a computer can
operate on the network without its own disk drive .

Apple IIGS System Software 5.0 provides a platform for new network-aware
applications that take advantage of the native-mode operating system.  Because
it is compatible with ProDOS 8 and ProDOS 16, users also have full access to
all existing network applications.

Revised and New Features Improve Apple II

Large portions of the Apple IIGS Toolbox have been revised to provide
greater speed and efficiency.  The Toolbox includes the software for sound,
drawing, scrolling, fonts, menus, dialogs, window manipulation and memory
management.  Compared to System Software Version 4.0, toolbox operations
running under System Software 5.0 are about twice as fast, so the user
experiences a more responsive Apple IIGS.

System Software 5.0 also includes two new toolbox components for developers, a
resource manager and text editor.  These tools make programming for the Apple
IIGS easier and faster.

System Software 5.0 also comes with ExpressLoad development tools.  Developers
who write new programs or modify existing ones with ExpressLoad will offer
users dramatic improvements in program loading speed.

Other new features include an improved SCSI manager (which provides faster
communication with hard drives and CD-ROM drives), an improved AppleDisk(TM)
3.5 driver (which provides quicker access to 3.5 inch disks), faster switching
to and from ProDOS 8 applications and a graphics-based Control Panel.

System Requirements

The stand-alone Apple IIGS System Software 5.0 user requires an Apple IIGS
with 512K RAM,  ROM version 01 and one 3.5-inch disk drive.  (The Apple IIGS
has come with 512K RAM since March, 1988.)

Networked systems require Apple IIGS computers with at least 768K RAM, ROM
version 01 and appropriate LocalTalk(TM) cables.

Price and Availability

Suggested retail price and further details will be available when the
product is released this summer.

Apple, the Apple logo, Apple IIGS, AppleFest, AppleTalk, ProDOS, AppleShare and
Macintosh are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc.
Finder, AppleDisk and LocalTalk are trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc.

News
Apple Press Releases
5-5-89

|Disclaimer: Disclaimers are for sissies and...what??? Me??? SUED?!?!?!   |
|Internet: REWING@APPLE.COM  <-NEW!!--------------Rick Ewing              |
|BITNET: REWING@TRINCC-----------------Systems Engineer, Apple Computer   |
|Applelink: EWING--------------------100 Ashford Center North, Suite 100  |
|Compu$erve: [76474,1732]--------------------Atlanta, GA 30338            |
|GENIE: R.EWING---------------------------Talknet: (404) 393-9358         |
|USENET: ...ihnp4!psuvax!trincc.bitnet!rewing                             |
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

blackman%phoenix@PRINCETON.EDU (Scott Michael Blackman) (05/06/89)

Hmm.  It looks like there are no new FST's included with the system 5.0.
Is this correct?  I'm disappointed.

shawn@pnet51.cts.com (Shawn Stanley) (05/07/89)

blackman%phoenix@PRINCETON.EDU (Scott Michael Blackman) writes:
>Hmm.  It looks like there are no new FST's included with the system 5.0.
>Is this correct?  I'm disappointed.

So am I.  Apple made a big enough deal in telling us all about FST's and how
great they are.

UUCP: {uunet!rosevax, amdahl!bungia, chinet, killer}!orbit!pnet51!shawn
INET: shawn@pnet51.cts.com

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (05/07/89)

From article <8905060535.AA00678@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, by blackman%phoenix@PRINCETON.EDU (Scott Michael Blackman):
> Hmm.  It looks like there are no new FST's included with the system 5.0.
> Is this correct?  I'm disappointed.

Technically speaking, yes there is a new FST.
AppleShare.

--
Scott Lindsey     |"Cold and misty morning. I heard a warning borne in the air
Claris Corp.      |    About an age of power when no one had an hour to spare"

blochowi@cat28.CS.WISC.EDU (Jason Blochowiak) (05/07/89)

Parik Rao wrote:
> o    graphic control panel.  A NDA look-alike.  Its a program called
>      GS.OS.DEV in the SYSTEM subdirectory, and a entire subdirectory
>      called CDEVS is devoted to it.

	If this is right (and I'm assuming it is), why is there a subdirectory
for CDEVs? I know that some people really don't like the way the Mac works
with things like DAs (having to add/remove the resource chunks from the
System file), but it seems there's a bit of a difference... Or is Apple
planning on keeping things "the way they are" regarding the structure of the
system disk? I prefer the subdirectory arrangement, but it seems like the
system software is slowly but surely drifting towards that of the Mac.
		Jason Blochowiak (blochowi@garfield.cs.wisc.edu)
			"Not your average iconoclast..."

gerardo@wpi.wpi.edu (Gerardo Leute) (05/07/89)

>Price and Availability
>
>Suggested retail price and further details will be available when the
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>product is released this summer.

Is this to mean that they will charge something for the new GS/OS? It was
kinda nice that they didn't so far...

--
Gerardo Leute			"Home is where the heart lies,
   gerardo@wpi.bitnet		 but when the heart lies, where is home?"

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (05/08/89)

In article <2237@wpi.wpi.edu> gerardo@wpi.wpi.edu (Gerardo Leute) writes:
>Is this to mean that they will charge something for the new GS/OS? It was
>kinda nice that they didn't so far...

You're mistaken.  A2D6013 definitely was not given away for free.

The contents of the disks were eventually posted on various information
services (ALPE, Genie, maybe others).  Perhaps the same will be done
with the new release (it wasn't as of a few days ago).

REWING@TRINCC.BITNET (05/08/89)

The reason for a subdirectory for cdevs is to prevent something that is
a big problem for some power users on Macintosh:  Gigantic System Folder
Clutter.  When you get like me and have about 22 cdevs, things can get
a little out of hand in the system folder.  So we buried them one level
deeper so that all you'll see in the system folder is a folder called
"cdevs", much like the "das" folder now.
--Rick Ewing
  Apple Atlanta

REWING@TRINCC.BITNET (05/08/89)

I don't think that distribution of GS/OS 5.0 will change from the usual
dealer and user grgroup method.  Of course, of you want a boxed shrinked-
wrapped copy with a manual, then that's another story...

--Rick Ewing
  Apple Atlanta

hzink@pro-nucleus.UUCP (Harry Zink) (05/11/89)

Network Comment: to #342 by pnet01!crash!BRL.MIL!puff!cat28!blochowi%speedy.wisc.edu

For your information, Jason, the CDEVs subdirectory is handled just like on
the Mac, where CDEVs (Contro Panel Documents) are dragged into the system
folder and become active upon boot.  Furthermore, DAs and Fonts don't need to
be added to system of the Mac anymore (unless you want to) with such neat
utilities as Suitcase II that allow you to place them in folders.

As a matter of fact, what IS bad about the GS system software drifting towards
the Mac (as you so deftly put it)?  The Mac OS (HFS) definitely beats Prodos
hands down, and if you look at GS/OS (not running with the Prodos FST) it IS
already an exact clone of the Mac HFS OS - it includes resource and data
forks and all the other goodies the Mac possesses.

So, I really wish people would do their homework first before generalizing
grossly and making assumptions.  Hope this helps.

+
        hzink@pro-nucleus
        crash!pnet01!pro-nucleus!hzink : UUCP
                                                +

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (05/13/89)

In article <8905110836.AA23244@crash.cts.com> pnet01!pro-sol!pro-nucleus!hzink@nosc.mil writes:
>Network Comment: to #342 by pnet01!crash!BRL.MIL!puff!cat28!blochowi%speedy.wisc.edu
>
>As a matter of fact, what IS bad about the GS system software drifting towards
>the Mac (as you so deftly put it)?  The Mac OS (HFS) definitely beats Prodos
>hands down, and if you look at GS/OS (not running with the Prodos FST) it IS
>already an exact clone of the Mac HFS OS - it includes resource and data
>forks and all the other goodies the Mac possesses.
>
>So, I really wish people would do their homework first before generalizing
>grossly and making assumptions.  Hope this helps.

Actually, I much prefer GS/OS over HFS. Not only does HFS have to carry
around extra baggage in order to suppert MFS (death to all working directories!)
but GS/OS has legitimate support for alternate file systems and devices. HFS
has this to some degree, but it's not supported. Overall, GS/OS is much
cleaner, general, customizable, and, in many cases, faster.

INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions

In article pnet01!pro-sol!pro-nucleus!hzink@nosc.mil writes:

>For your information, Jason, the CDEVs subdirectory is handled just like on
>the Mac, where CDEVs (Contro Panel Documents) are dragged into the system
>folder and become active upon boot.  Furthermore, DAs and Fonts don't need to
>be added to system of the Mac anymore (unless you want to) with such neat
>utilities as Suitcase II that allow you to place them in folders.

Not quite.  On the IIgs, you don't have to reboot for them to become active;
you can simple move them in and out of the CDEVs folder.

>So, I really wish people would do their homework first before generalizing
>grossly and making assumptions.  Hope this helps.
>
>+
>        hzink@pro-nucleus
>        crash!pnet01!pro-nucleus!hzink : UUCP
>                                                +

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions expressed in this tome
Send PERSONAL mail ONLY (please) to:  | should not be construed to imply that
AppleLink PE: Matt DTS  GEnie: AIIDTS | Apple Computer, Inc., or any of its
CompuServe: 76703,3030                | subsidiaries, in whole or in part,
Usenet:  mattd@apple.com              | have any opinion on any subject."
UUCP:  (other stuff)!ames!apple!mattd | "So there."