[comp.sys.apple] CDEVs

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (05/15/89)

From article <30690@apple.Apple.COM>, by mattd@Apple.COM (Matt Deatherage):
> In article pnet01!pro-sol!pro-nucleus!hzink@nosc.mil writes:
>>
>>For your information, Jason, the CDEVs subdirectory is handled just like on
>>the Mac, where CDEVs (Contro Panel Documents) are dragged into the system
>>folder and become active upon boot.  [...]
>>
> Not quite.  On the IIgs, you don't have to reboot for them to become active;
> you can simple move them in and out of the CDEVs folder.

Not quite.  CDEVs on the Mac are just like those on the GS, except for their
content.  Clarification: Mac CDEVs commonly contain INITs (akin to
SYSTEM.SETUP files).  A Mac CDEV is accessible immediately after being placed
in the system directory... er, folder.  If it depends on prior execution of
an internal INIT, tough.  It either crashes, or, if implemented correctly,
handles the error gracefully & informs the user.

On the GS, the INITs are totally separate from the CDEVs, but there is no less
of a dependancy.  Try using the AppleShare CDEV or the AppleTalk print driver
CDEVs without the AppleTalk SYSTEM.SETUP(s).  Same results.

>>So, I really wish people would do their homework first before generalizing
>>grossly and making assumptions.  Hope this helps.

Well, after a fashion, it does...

--
Scott Lindsey     |"Cold and misty morning. I heard a warning borne in the air
Claris Corp.      |    About an age of power when no one had an hour to spare"

In article <10152@claris.com> wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) writes:
>Not quite.  CDEVs on the Mac are just like those on the GS, except for their
>content.  Clarification: Mac CDEVs commonly contain INITs (akin to
>SYSTEM.SETUP files).  A Mac CDEV is accessible immediately after being placed
>in the system directory... er, folder.  If it depends on prior execution of
>an internal INIT, tough.  It either crashes, or, if implemented correctly,
>handles the error gracefully & informs the user.
>
>On the GS, the INITs are totally separate from the CDEVs, but there is no less
>of a dependancy.  Try using the AppleShare CDEV or the AppleTalk print driver
>CDEVs without the AppleTalk SYSTEM.SETUP(s).  Same results.

This is true.  I had actually written a paragraph about this, but deleted it
as probably not very relevant to the main point, which is "you don't have to
reboot for CDEVs to take effect, unless the CDEV is designed that way."

However, I didn't know this was the case on the Macintosh.  I don't have all
that many of them and have never played around with them.

>--
>Scott Lindsey     |"Cold and misty morning. I heard a warning borne in the air
>Claris Corp.      |    About an age of power when no one had an hour to spare"
>ames!claris!wombat| DISCLAIMER: These are not the opinions of Claris, Apple,
>wombat@claris.com |    StyleWare, the author, or anyone else living or dead.

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions expressed in this tome
Send PERSONAL mail ONLY (please) to:  | should not be construed to imply that
AppleLink PE: Matt DTS  GEnie: AIIDTS | Apple Computer, Inc., or any of its
CompuServe: 76703,3030                | subsidiaries, in whole or in part,
Usenet:  mattd@apple.com              | have any opinion on any subject."
UUCP:  (other stuff)!ames!apple!mattd | "So there."