[comp.sys.apple] AppleFest

AELevy@DOCKMASTER.ARPA (10/03/87)

Could someone please post an applefest report, no one from Washington
Apple Pi went.  Regards, Allan

bsherman@pro-exchange.cts.COM (Bob Sherman) (04/26/88)

With less than a month to go before Applefest, it's about time for a sneak
preview of what's to be there for the Apple owner.

It's time for Appleworks to move aside as Kevin Harvey and the folks from
STYLEWARE roll out their GS integrated software package, using the GS speed,
and graphics features. Unlike Appleworks which only contains 3 separate
features, "GS WORKS" contains 6 programs in one. Yes, it has the expected
word processor, spread sheet, and data base, but it also has page layout,
graphics, telecommunications, and an 80,000 Webster spell checker and
thesaurus. As an added bonus, it will read and use any files you have
already created with Appleworks. In addition to the Imagewriter it will also
support the Epson printers. (Thanks Kevin for writing the Epson Driver and
getting the GS out of the Imagewriter only syndrome).

TML Systems will have version 1.50 of TML Pascal which sports several new
features along with a few bug fixes.

Big news from BEAGLE BROS as they announce six new additions to the Time Out
family. A thesaurus, Desk tools II, PowerPak, MacroTools, Accountant, and a
Communications package. They also will tell of plans to add "Paint" to the
power of SuperFonts and Graph.

For less than $50, EPYX will allow home video users to add text, graphics,
and special effects to their video recordings with their HOME VIDEO PRODUCER
software.

Dr. Bill Basham, of Diversi-Dos, Diversi-Copy fame (yes folks, he gave up
his medical practice to write software back in 1980) has a new winner with
Diversi-Tune. To show off it's greatness, Basham will have famous jazz
musician Nathen Page, of Orlando, Florida recording a live jazz piano album
right at his Applefest booth. Every note will be recorded with Diversi-Tune
and released on 3.5 disk, making it the first live album ever available on a
computer disk. Show Special price on this dandy is only $55.

There is lots more to be announced that weekend including a special
announcement from Apple (HINT: CONSUMER LINK), but space does not allow for
all of the details here.

The above is copyright 1988 by Miami's Big Apple, 305-948-8000 and
reproduced here with permission of author Bob Sherman.

UUCP: [ ihnp4 cbosgd nosc ] !crash!pnet01!pro-sol!pro-exchange!bsherman
ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-exchange!bsherman@nosc
INET: bsherman@pro-exchange.cts.com
Miami's Big Apple 300/1200 305-948-8000 PCP'able. Strong Apple support

PGOETZ@LOYVAX.BITNET (04/30/88)

    Does anyone have anything interesting to tell us about the upcoming
Applefests?
    Is anyone from the Baltimore/Washington area going to the Boston
Applefest (May 20-2?)?  I'm interested in going.

Phil Goetz
PGOETZ@LOYVAX.bitnet

STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (Alan Stein) (05/22/88)

My very brief report on AppleFest, which I went to yesterday.

I didn't notice too much that was new and exciting, but there was a
good crowd and plenty of vendors, with some specials for Festgoers.
I was hoping to get a steal on a HD, but the best price I saw was
$499 for a 20M Sider.  Some of you who get there on the last day
may get lucky.

The only thing I bought was the Orca/Desktop, which runs APW languages
under a mouse interface and includes debugging aids (thank god).
Unfortunately, although the packaging doesn't say so, for a full
implementation, you need version 1.1 of Orca/M (which I don't have yet
even though I just bought Orca/M about two months ago) for the assembler,
version 1.2 for Orca Pascal.  APW apparently doesn't work under the
desktop yet.  It also claims (inside) to require two 3 1/2" drives or
a HD for a full implementation, but I hope to get by with one 3 1/2"
drive and a couple of 5 1/4" drives.

There were quite a few GS's running GSWorks, which looked good to
me.  I never got to play around with it myself because I didn't have
enough time and patience to wait my turn.

The same thing happened with AppleLink -- Personal Edition (I guess
that's the official name).  It uses its own software, which is ready
for the Apple II series now and is scheduled to be out for the Mac
next Fall.  (It's hard to believe that Apple actually did something for
the II before the Mac, but apparently they have.)  It looks like
an imitation of CompuServe and the like, but with graphics and
support from Apple, including things like, hopefully, their tech notes.
I'd be happier if they simply transferred the information their sending
to AppleLink to CompuServe and other networks -- how many do we need to
join?

ARPA:   stein%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu        Alan H. Stein
BITNET: STEIN@UCONNVM                          University of Connecticut
UUCP:   ...ihnp4!psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!STEIN        at Waterbury
CompuServe: 71545,1500  Genie:  ah.stein       Department of Mathematics

STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (Alan Stein) (09/16/88)

I hope some of those visiting Applefest will post reviews here
expeditiously.

Alan H. Stein    Department of Mathematics
The University of Connecticut at Waterbury

Internet: stein%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu
BITNET:   STEIN@UCONNVM
UUCP:    {rutgers psuvax1 ucbvax & in Europe mcvax} !UCONNVM.BITNET!STEIN
Compu$erve: 71545,1500       Genie:  ah.stein

david@jc3b21.UUCP (David Quarles) (09/18/88)

From article <8809152206.aa16208@SMOKE.BRL.MIL>, by STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (Alan Stein):
> I hope some of those visiting Applefest will post reviews here
> expeditiously.
>

> Alan H. Stein    Department of Mathematics
> The University of Connecticut at Waterbury

	YES ... YES ... YES

	PLEASE ... PLEASE ... PLEASE

Those of us that cannot attend anxiously await  N E W S  of new
products.

I have watched the new products newsgroup but NOONE seems to post there
and I would like to add my request to the above.

     D. QUARLES /// SAINT PETERSBURG JUNIOR COLLEGE /// ST. PETE, FLORIDA

rs.MILler@pro-newfrontier.UUCP (Randy Miller) (09/26/88)

Now that AppleFest San Francisco is now history...why not hold an AppleFest in
Chicago?  A good many Apple II publishers are located here (TimeWorks,
MindScape, Polarware-Penguin, to name a few).  Also, those of us who can't
afford to fly to Boston or San Francisco, would have a chance to see "what's
new", as well as hobnob with the "big boys."  Any takers?
Randy Miller
rs.miller@pro-newfrontier

carlb@pro-avalon.cts.COM (Carl Boernecke) (09/27/88)

rs.miller@pro-newfrontier.cts.com (Randy Miller) writes:
|Now that AppleFest San Francisco is now history...why not hold an AppleFest
|in Chicago?  A good many Apple II publishers are located here (TimeWorks,
|MindScape, Polarware-Penguin, to name a few).  Also, those of us who can't
|afford to fly to Boston or San Francisco, would have a chance to see "what's
|new", as well as hobnob with the "big boys."  Any takers?

Sounds like a good idea, but I'm still waiting for an AppleFest down here in
San Diego -- I seriouly doubt that will happen, but I can hope, and wish that
one day it may happen.

       |--------------------------( Carl Boernecke )-------------------------|
Send   | UUCP: crash!pro-avalon!carlb     InterNet: carlb@pro-avalon.cts.com |
E-Mail | ARPA: crash!pro-avalon!carlb@nosc.mil     ProLine: carlb@pro-avalon |
to --> |   ProLine [pro-avalon] - (619) 271-0131 - 300-2400 bps - 24 hours   |

dseah@wpi.wpi.edu (David I Seah) (03/21/89)

A bunch of us are thinking of going to AppleFest  this May, and were wondering
if we could qualify for the "Family Discount (Up to four individuals)".  They
don't take blood, do they? :)

jm7e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Jeremy G. Mereness") (03/24/89)

> *Excerpts from ext.in.info-apple: 23-Mar-89 Re: Why, why, why? Bob*
> *Sherman@handies.ucar (1816)*

> Many developers detest the promotors for adding Mac to Applefest. They
> were willing to pay rent to reach Apple users, but since many Apple
> users are boycotting because of the addition of MAC to the Applefest,
> they feel many of the people that pass by their booth will not be
> interested in their products, hence the cost of each person they reach
> goes way up.

Oh, for God's sake.
Well, is anyone going to the Kansas Apple developer's "convention" mentioned in
A2-Central?

jeremy mereness
=============
jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Arpanet)
r746jm7e@CMCCVB (vax.... Bitnet)

rdlanctot@instr.okanagan.bc.ca (Ryan Lanctot) (03/26/89)

A friend of mine was thinking of going to Applefest in September and was
wondering what the difference was between CPS/Applefest and Applefest
(I assume they are held in Two parts).  Could someone explain the difference,
if any, to me?  He was also very anxious to attend the show if/when the new
computer is to be announced.  If such a thing were to occur, when would you
expect it to happen, in May in Boston of in September?  Thanks in advance.

Ryan Lanctot
<rdlanctot@instr.okanagan.bc.ca>

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (03/27/89)

Anyone even know if there will BE a fall AppleFest - my sources say no.

--
Larry W. Virden	 674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817
75046,606 (CIS) ; LVirden (ALPE) ; osu-cis!n8emr!lwv (UUCP)

bsherm@umbio.MIAMI.EDU (Bob Sherman) (03/28/89)

in article <956@n8emr.UUCP>, lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) says:

> Anyone even know if there will BE a fall AppleFest - my sources say no.

As of today, Cambridge insists there will be a fall fest Sept 22-24
at Brooks Hall, although I like you have my doubts.. They claim Apple
will have new product to show there, but would not give any details..

I will share with you the other info gather today in my conversation
with them and some other industry sources just in case you don't see
it on CIS..

Here are the latest facts, direct from Cambridge Marketing.
There are at least 8 Apple well known vendors that were in last years
Applefest that will not be back this spring. Others such as Broderbund and
Electronic Arts have cut back on size of their booths by 50% or more.
At this time, only one new Mac vendor has signed up for a booth.

Among those that will NOT attend are Activision, TML, and MDIdeas.

Cambridge wants the record set straight, it was not them who's idea it
was to add Mac vendors to the show. The orders came direct from
Cupertino. Apple said about 25% of their display would be Mac oriented,
and they wanted 25-30% of the show and seminars to be the same way
with the percentage going to as high as 50% Mac in the future.

Apple has disbanded their K-12 comsumer marketing section, and now has
only the K-12 Educational section left. They wanted educational people
visible at the show, hence Gifford will do a keynote instead of Sculley.
These are just the facts mam/sir. Please don't flame me.

--
  Internet  -- bsherm%umbio@umigw.miami.edu
  UUCP      -- {uunet!gould}!umbio!bsherm

mikes@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu (Michael Steele) (04/29/89)

Is anyone on the net going to Applefest?  If you are, send me mail!  I'll be
there Friday and Sat.

Has anyone tried formatting a SCSI drive that has an access time of approx
20ms?  I was considering getting a 20ms 65 meg SCSI harddrive.

Does anyone know what's going to be released at Applefest: ie ORCA/C and
Appleworks GS 1.1?  Maybe the 10Mhz version of TWGS?

						Thanks Michael Steele
						    mikes@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu
--
Michael Steele		mikes@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu
			mikes@ncsuctix.ncsuvx.ncsu.edu

STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (Alan Stein) (05/03/89)

  I still haven't received my admission ticket to Applefest, even though
I sent in my form well before the deadline.  Has anyone else had that
problem?

  I would like to suggest that those of us going to Applefest plan to
meet at a central location each day at noon (?).  We could perhaps
eat lunch together.  One location to meet might be by the GEnie or
A2-Central booth.

  If those of you who would like to meet send me your input, I'll
post a concensus on Thursday.

Alan H. Stein              | stein@uconnvm.bitnet
Department of Mathematics  | stein%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu
University of Connecticut  | ...psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!STEIN
32 Hillside Avenue         |
Waterbury, CT 06710        | Compu$erve  71545,1500
(203) 757-1231             | GEnie       ah.stein

guest@tree.UUCP (PRAO) (05/06/89)

 Well, looks like AppleFest - Boston - 1989 wasn't the end all to computer
fairs, eh?  Pretty lame actually.  GS/OS v5.0 was announced (NOT released!),
and basically some other stuff. NO Zip chip GS, Sword Of Sodan nor Test Drive
II gs was not shipping.  Pretty disappointing if you ask me.

  Lets see about Sys Disk v5.0...

o    Appletalk support (yipee, wowzers)
o    Resource Manager (toolset #34?)
o    super-loader (EXPRESSLOAD, 21 block P16 file).  A super-loader?
o    graphic control panel.  A NDA look-alike.  Its a program called
     GS.OS.DEV in the SYSTEM subdirectory, and a entire subdirectory
     called CDEVS is devoted to it.  Its basically a form of your
     CONTROL PANEL NDA, but looks alot like the *ICK* Mac control panel.
o    Rewrite of tools to support speed
o    Bigger files (START [finder] is 189 blocks, GS/OS itself is bigger)

Umm,I think thats it?!?   Oh yeah, something like FASTFONT in the system
subdirectory, not sure what it does.  Font Editor?

Anyways, theres a press release which kind of says a bit more, but sort of
does not :).  Will have to wait and see for the gods at Apple *snicker* to
tell us more about this product.  No GS+ however, a curse on Sculley and his
tribe.

SellsWorth writes...

>Needed---
>  The wizard passwords to Moria GS
>  Any info on faster linkers for APW/ORCA
>  Any good news about TML making new Pascal compilers
>  A GS+

Concerning a fast linker, John Brooks (of Tomahawk, Hunt For Red October, 3200
pictures, and a variety of fantastic programs) has written a TurboLinker for
APW/Orca.  Andy Nicholas is a bit more versed in its history, but from what
I've used it its F A S T with a capital FAST!  Hopefully it'll make it into
the pd market, it really is nice.  Hey, but Orca/M v2.0 is out, lets try that
out.

Parik Rao                                            AppleLink  - AFA PARIK
 PARIK
-------------------------------------------------------------------------eek---

STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (Alan Stein) (05/06/89)

  I just came back from Applefest and was somewhat disappointed that
Apple did not announce the GS+ yet, although there was some statement
from Sculley about a new Apple II product this year and more products
in development.
  System Disk 5.0 was being demonstrated and it was deliciously faster
than 4.0.  Let's hope they release it quickly.

Alan H. Stein              | stein@uconnvm.bitnet
Department of Mathematics  | stein%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu
University of Connecticut  | ...psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!STEIN
32 Hillside Avenue         |
Waterbury, CT 06710        | Compu$erve  71545,1500
(203) 757-1231             | GEnie       ah.stein

nakada@husc4.harvard.edu (Paul Nakada) (05/06/89)

i actually thought it was a pretty damn good success..  considering
the sentiment about the death of the apple ][, i was warmed by all the
enthusiasm..

some highlights..

zip chip 8..  i bought one.. should be here very early june...  it
looked pretty fast..  the demo was a series of normal hires screens,
(maybe partial hires screens) being displayed sequentially in a bit
mapped animation sequence..  the front end was written in basic, with
a ( i assume) machine language memory move routine to shuffle the
images..  the normal speed version shows artifacts of the apple's
weird hires memory order (things filled in like venetian blinds)..
the zip version was pretty smooth,, with little or no venetian blind effect...

they also had a full blown appleworks/timeout setup (didn;t everyone?)
which was quite impressive...  spreadsheet recalcs were up to PCAT
speeds, and i was equally impressed with a 30 page timeout page
preview which took less time than MS Word 3.0 on the mac... (i know
they are quite different, but still)
so that's why i got one.. ($179)...  i'll tell you how it goes when i
get it..

the new apple video overlay system was everywhere....  i like the
excitement that seemed to be shown by apple..  they were really
pushing this product..  as far as i can tell, it looks like a shot in
the arm for us apple ][ forever fanatics...

the main idea behind the card is to give full control of a laserdisc
player to the apple (//c ro above)..  this includes direct access to
hundreds (thousands?) of individual clips of video...
the cards other purpose is to integrate computer generated video and
laserdisc video in some useable form.....  this basiclly involved
putting menu bars over video, or a video backdrop to the finder.. i'll
let others elaborate..

tutortech (a hypercard-a-like whicha may have predated hypercard)
showed a short demo of ABC's election 88 disc interfaced with
tutortech..  this is how i envision the use of the overlay board...
the user could easily browse through many clips covering numerous
issues and news stories..  there were definitely some bugs.. but the
concept is intriguing.. (and cheap too!)

applied ingenuity...   they make the innerdrives..  pretty much you
basic overpriced apple harddrive maker.. but we're getting closer..
they are really trying to cut the price down to affordable prices..
I managed to get alittle info on the upcoming //c innerdrive..  this
is for the rumormill, but it's straight from an AI engineer...

the innerdrive //c will replace the //c's internal 5.25 drive..  the
5.25 can then be moved outboard, still functioning as slot6 drive 1..
the innerdrive will then directly interface to the bus (through some
sort of piggyback scheme..) and should be compatile with zip and
rocket chips...  this appears to give them the edge over the smartport
drives, because it avoids the bottleneck created at the smartport..
but alas ... it's still vapoerware... so who am i to judge...

bill basham was in prime form...  he's such a wonderful person.. and
his diversitune program was selling like hotcakes...  i was amazed to
see him being asked to sign copies as they sold.. he's definitely a
class act...

hyperstudio was selling like crazy as well.. it's a hypercard
lookalike with sound capabilities..  i didn;t see this to extensively,
so i'll defer...

laser was pretty blah...

apple DTS was out in force...  i really felt that they cared about the
people there..  saw Dave Lyons, but he was pretty busy the whole
time..

GSOS v5.0..

i don;t have a GS, but i use Mac's a lot..   i was impressed by the
Finder, and its increased speed...  there are definitely some
insightful ideas included in this package...  the Mac's chooser is
gone..  it's where it always shoukd have been, in the control panel...
the getinfo boxes are paged with tabs...  ever see how useless a Mac
getinfo dialog is?  a great insight....
Appletalk/Appleshare is in full glory... I've seen a classroom of Mac
II's served off a Mac..   what a sight it would be to see 3 times as
many GS's served off the same mac for the same price...

and to top it off...  the nada chair..  you have to wear one to
believe it..  anyone who has seen or has one will understand..  those
who havn't... just plain won't understand...

i can't wait til SF applefest..  i'll be there....

-paul nakada
--
 __
|     Paul Nakada  '89   #8-)  |

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (05/08/89)

Paul, one of the things that a friend who was there mentioned was a
program called genesys.  Naturally, those wimpless folks wont like it, but
for the window interface, mouse pointer folks, there is coming this fall
a program which allows you to build window source code by point and click.
I have been told that a) it is VERY slick and b) a demo disk is available.
There is also a demo disk from the 386 microsystems folks - anyone have
these and able to share them?

Also, Zip folks are talking a 8 mhz Zip gs this summer, AE is talking about
a new series of hard drives and First Class Perphs have 2 neat things - a
faster - much faster - hard drive series which uses hardware cacheing to
get some incredible (under 19 ms access) timings and an even newer D9
driver which allows 1:1 skewing for some incredible thruputs - there was
a 20,000 block a minute verify timings talked about (the Apple SCSI controller
can typically get about 2000-3000).  I forget what all else was discussed.
--

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (05/09/89)

In article <302@tree.UUCP> guest@tree.UUCP (PRAO) writes:

>o    super-loader (EXPRESSLOAD, 21 block P16 file).  A super-loader?

	ExpressLoad loads executable code in "Express" format alot faster
	than the normal system loader.  In order to take advantage of it,
	the executable file must be in express format, so you won't notice the
	advantage with current files.

>o    graphic control panel.  A NDA look-alike.  Its a program called
>     GS.OS.DEV in the SYSTEM subdirectory, and a entire subdirectory
>     called CDEVS is devoted to it.  Its basically a form of your
>     CONTROL PANEL NDA, but looks alot like the *ICK* Mac control panel.

	An NDA (that's why it looks like one).  It is called
	*/System/Desk.Accs/CtlPanel.NDA.  It is not simply a control
	panel clone however.  It supports CDEVS.

>o    Rewrite of tools to support speed

	Actually the tools were re-written to increase speed, and increase
	speed they did!

>Umm,I think thats it?!?   Oh yeah, something like FASTFONT in the system
>subdirectory, not sure what it does.  Font Editor?

	Fast font improves font rendering on screen.

>Anyways, theres a press release which kind of says a bit more, but sort of
>does not :).  Will have to wait and see for the gods at Apple *snicker* to
>tell us more about this product.  No GS+ however, a curse on Sculley and his
>tribe.

	Well, Murph, do you still think that rumors are healty?

Cary Farrier

--
+--------------+-------------------+
+--------------+-------------------+

In article <302@tree.UUCP> guest@tree.UUCP (PRAO) writes:

> Well, looks like AppleFest - Boston - 1989 wasn't the end all to computer
>fairs, eh?  Pretty lame actually.  GS/OS v5.0 was announced (NOT released!),
>and basically some other stuff. NO Zip chip GS, Sword Of Sodan nor Test Drive
>II gs was not shipping.  Pretty disappointing if you ask me.

After about four hours tonight on both the net and AppleLink PE it's becoming
readily apparent that Parik's knowledge about this disk is about 1/10th of
what's necessary to knowledgably post at the level he's posting...

>  Lets see about Sys Disk v5.0...
>
>o    Appletalk support (yipee, wowzers)

Ah, another "It's not important to me, so it's not important" one.  True, many
home users don't have AppleShare capabilities (large understatement).  But many
schools do, and lots and LOTS of people have been asking for us to make GS/OS
and AppleShare work together.  We listened; now they do.  This also means we
will no longer require our network developers to use ProDOS 16 for their
AppleShare applications.

>o    Resource Manager (toolset #34?)

No, it's tool #30.  TextEdit is #34, and is new for 5.0.  It allows text editing
in a desktop environment, including multiple fonts/styles/sizes, full support
of the editing commands (menus and control keys), as well as both desktop and
textual-retrieval methods.  If you use TaskMaster, it will handle just about
everything for you as well.

>o    super-loader (EXPRESSLOAD, 21 block P16 file).  A super-loader?

ExpressLoad allows specially processed OMF files (pre-processed and slightly
expanded) to load many times faster than the standard Loader.  AppleWorks GS
with all modules loads four times faster just due to ExpressLoad.  Expressed
files are fully compatible with the standard Loader, which is still present
to handle files not handled by ExpressLoad.

>o    graphic control panel.  A NDA look-alike.  Its a program called
>     GS.OS.DEV in the SYSTEM subdirectory, and a entire subdirectory
>     called CDEVS is devoted to it.  Its basically a form of your
>     CONTROL PANEL NDA, but looks alot like the *ICK* Mac control panel.

The Control Panel NDA is a file called "CtlPanel.NDA" (yes, the ProDOS FST
does allow for lower-case names in files now!) in the *:System:Desk.Accs folder.
CDEVs are the short-hand name for Control Panel modules.  They are present
in the *:System:CDevs folder, and can include init code as well as code that
operates when the NDA is selected.  The CDev format isn't available yet, but
they are entirely resources (the data forks are empty).

GS.OS.DEV is a new file for 5.0 that is a break-out and speed enhancement of the
GS/OS Device Manager, giving fantastic speed improvements for character I/O
as well as many other device manager activities.  (This was mentioned at
AppleFest, but hasn't made it to the network -- too many people who weren't
there are busy downplaying it all.)

>o    Rewrite of tools to support speed

QuickDraw and its dependents (Window Manager, etc.) are greatly sped up.  This
has little effect on developers except that the programs they've always written
will work faster.

>o    Bigger files (START [finder] is 189 blocks, GS/OS itself is bigger)

The Finder is larger, but it does more things better.  GS/OS is a little larger
but several new system calls have been added, as well as a completely new
SCSI Manager (with HD and CD-ROM drivers) that speeds up SCSI I/O by five
times (16 MB/second under 4.0 vs. 80 MB/second under 5.0 - with no additional
hardware required).

>Umm,I think thats it?!?   Oh yeah, something like FASTFONT in the system
>subdirectory, not sure what it does.  Font Editor?

FastFont is a pre-shifted version of Shaston 8 that allows all Shaston 8 drawing
(which is a large portion of all text drawing) to be much faster.

>Anyways, theres a press release which kind of says a bit more, but sort of
>does not :).  Will have to wait and see for the gods at Apple *snicker* to
>tell us more about this product.  No GS+ however, a curse on Sculley and his
>tribe.

So since it didn't say more, we'll just make it up.  Good strategy.

>Parik Rao                                            AppleLink  - AFA PARIK
> PARIK
>-------------------------------------------------------------------------eek---

I'm sorry to post something that looks so incredibly like a flame, but it's
more than a little annoying to listen for many hours to someone who doesn't
know very much about the system telling everyone how insignificant it is.
Did he mention that switching from ProDOS 8 to GS/OS takes about 4 seconds?
Did he mention that TaskMaster now handles controls in windows, including
sending events and keystrokes to controls - an enhancement that can make
programming the GS in the desktop almost as easy as AppleSoft BASIC?  Did he
mention the Scatter Read routine in the AppleDisk3.5 driver that allows an
effective 1:1 interleave on 3.5" disks?  Did he mention scrolling menus?  Did
he mention the scrolling CDA menu?  Did he mention pop-up menus?  Did he
mention extensive changes to Miscellaneous Tools, Desk Manager, Sound Manager,
Window Manager, Menu Manager, Control Manager (object oriented), QuickDraw
Auxiliary (now with SeedFill and CalcMask), Line Edit, Font Manager, List
Manager, and a complete rewrite of Standard File?  Did he mention new Print
Manager calls?  Did he mention new features in the Installer and ADU?  Did he
mention a faster Memory Manager?  Did he mention new additions to APW later
this year to support all this, including a new shell, new linker, REZ compiler
(and DeREZ utility), Express utility (soon to be built into the linker)?  Did
he mention GS/OS drivers for AppleTalk, RPM and AFP?  Did he mention renamable
devices?

I think not.  But I did, because I want you to know this thing is not "just
another system disk."  This is "just another system disk" like GS/OS is
"just another ProDOS".

It's not available yet - we're telling you about our plans similar to the
announcements of Macintosh 7.0 at the Developers Conference today.  Except
we're much closer to release than they are.  :-)

Again, I apologize for any anger in this message, but I've read enough messages
from people who don't know about 5.0 denigrating it that a strong response is
absolutely necessary, or I'll probably hurt Dave (who's trying, nobly, to keep
my emotions in check).

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions expressed in this tome
Send PERSONAL mail ONLY (please) to:  | should not be construed to imply that
AppleLink PE: Matt DTS  GEnie: AIIDTS | Apple Computer, Inc., or any of its
CompuServe: 76703,3030                | subsidiaries, in whole or in part,
Usenet:  mattd@apple.com              | have any opinion on any subject."
UUCP:  (other stuff)!ames!apple!mattd | "So there."

nicholaA@moravian.EDU (05/11/89)

>The Control Panel NDA is a file called "CtlPanel.NDA" (yes, the ProDOS FST
>does allow for lower-case names in files now!) in the *:System:Desk.Accs folde
>CDEVs are the short-hand name for Control Panel modules.  They are present
>in the *:System:CDevs folder, and can include init code as well as code that
>operates when the NDA is selected.  The CDev format isn't available yet, but
>they are entirely resources (the data forks are empty).

Matt & Crew -- How is the lowercase in filenames handled? (exactly) -- are
the actual filenames out on the drive in lowercase, can the FST just HANDLE
lowercase names and then it converts them to uppercase, or does it physically
store the name as "CtlPanel.NDA" out in the directory entry?  If it _does_
do this (physically store it), then how can ProDOS/8 read those files?
Or, will we see a newer version of ProDOS/8 to which upper and lower case is
different (and significant)??

Humor me if this was explained at one of the many technical sessions at
Applefest to which I was unable to go..  :-)

>Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc.

andy

----
Andy Nicholas                 CsNET: shrinkit@moravian.edu
Box 435                    InterNET: shrinkit%moravian.edu@relay.cs.net
Moravian College               uucp: rutgers!lafcol!lehi3b15!mc70!shrinkit
Bethlehem, PA  18018          GEnie: shrinkit
----                   AppleLink PE: shrinkit

bh1e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Brendan Gallagher Hoar) (05/11/89)

One thing to note is that on the Mac, while you CAN name a file FILE or
file, you can't have BOTH of them located in the same subdirectory.  I
guess that means that CTRLPANEL.NDA and CtrlPanel.NDA on the GS probably
would be the same file.

Probably...

Brendan Gallagher Hoar          Carnegie Mellon University
Apartment 517                   Mellon College of Science
4614 Fifth Avenue               INET:  bh1e+@andrew.cmu.edu
Pittsburgh, PA  15213           (412) 268-8958

mattd@APPLE.COM (Matt Deatherage) (05/11/89)

The two bytes VERSION and MINVERSION in each directory entry have never been
used by ProDOS 8; these are now used to flag lower-case letters in a similar
method to the way AppleWorks uses the auxtype to keep lower-case in document
names.

The only time ProDOS 8 used those fields was in opening subdirectories; P8
v1.8 (on 5.0) no longer does this.  So anyone using lower-case letters in
subdirectory names will require the use of ProDOS 8 1.8 in the 8-bit world
to read them.

--Matt

prl3546@tahoma.UUCP (Philip R. Lindberg) (05/16/89)

From article <783@ultb.UUCP>, by lmb7421@ultb.UUCP (L.M. Barstow):
> I can't believe anyone was disappointed in AppleFest...
> System Disk 5.0 was reason enough to be happy...
> As my friend has it...'I was going to buy a TransWarp GS, but with this
> release, why bother?'

WOW!!   I can hardly wait!!!!	(It's that fast??!??)

> It's that fast.  The introduction conference and the Prorgrammers ins
> and outs (on Sunday) showed basically what they did and how they did it,
> and it's IMPRESSIVE.

> the tones of the voices, the winks in their eyes, and certain other
> factors, leave no doubt...the GS+ exists in development and will be out
> soon.  I got enough subtle information to convince me of that.
 ...		(lots of other "NEAT stuff coming" comments deleted)

> Les Barstow     LMB7421@RITVAX.BITNET

You've got me drooling!!	(Now I've got to sit on my hands 'til it
				 comes out....)

|	     The Apple //'s will live forever!!		  |
|  Phil Lindberg	    snail mail: 13845 S.E. 131 ST |
| INET: prl3546@tahoma.UUCP		Renton, WA 98056  |
| UUCP: ..!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!shuksan!tahoma!prl3546	  |