[comp.sys.apple] Winging CP/M on a GS

cs472226@umbc5.umbc.edu (David Wood (CS472226)) (05/08/89)

   My mother is now working at her school (preschool and primary
program) with a program which helps her fill out education reports.
I figured if she could run it at home on the GS, she'd finally be
coerced into learning how to use the machine at home so she wouldn't
have to keep bothering me for newsletters, pictures, etc.
   Alas, the program is CP/M, and I know nothing about it.
   However, I can imagine.
   5 1/4" disks, likely standard format (She's working on ][+s!) and the
GS has, among other things, FST capability so it could read virtually
anything it's programmed for (so let's program it already!).
   Is it possible to emulate CP/M on a GS? Can it read CP/M disks? How
hard would it be to write a CP/M FST (assuming you knew how)?

                                                    -David Wood
*  A Mind is a Terrible Thing  ***  Sometime in June, this account     *
* to have Oozing out          ***  turn into a pumpkin. Help this poor *
* your ears...               ***  system addict stay in touch with     *
*      -- The League of     ***  his contacts on UseNET and/or         *
*         Sadistic         ***  BitNET. All contributions will be      *
*         Telepaths       ***  generously accepted through E-MAIL.     *

cbdougla@uokmax.UUCP (Collin Broadrick Douglas) (05/10/89)

To: cs472226@umbc5.umbc.edu.UUCP
Subject: Re: Winging CP/M on a GS
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple
Bcc:

In article <2006@umbc3.UMBC.EDU> you write:

>   My mother is now working at her school (preschool and primary
>program) with a program which helps her fill out education reports.
>I figured if she could run it at home on the GS, she'd finally be
>coerced into learning how to use the machine at home so she wouldn't
>have to keep bothering me for newsletters, pictures, etc.
>   Alas, the program is CP/M, and I know nothing about it.
>   However, I can imagine.
>   5 1/4" disks, likely standard format (She's working on ][+s!) and the
>GS has, among other things, FST capability so it could read virtually
>anything it's programmed for (so let's program it already!).
>   Is it possible to emulate CP/M on a GS? Can it read CP/M disks? How
>hard would it be to write a CP/M FST (assuming you knew how)?
>
>                                                    -David Wood
>*  A Mind is a Terrible Thing  ***  Sometime in June, this account     *
>* to have Oozing out          ***  turn into a pumpkin. Help this poor *
>* your ears...               ***  system addict stay in touch with     *
>*      -- The League of     ***  his contacts on UseNET and/or         *
>*         Sadistic         ***  BitNET. All contributions will be      *
>*         Telepaths       ***  generously accepted through E-MAIL.     *

   You could always get a CP/M card.  Applied Engineering sells them and
   they do work on the GS.  I'm not sure if Apple will ever come out
   with a CP/
   M FST but all that would do is let you read the files under GS/OS.

   My reccomendation would be to buy a CP/M card from Applied Engineering
   so you can run the software on the GS.  By running the software on the GS,
   you could use any extra RAM as a RAM disk to speed things up some.  I
   don't think that the extra speed of the GS will affect CP/M programs
   since the CP/M card has its own processor running independant of the
   GS's processor.

   Applied Engineering
   P.O. Box 5100, Carrolton, TX 75011
   (214)-241-6060

   The card costs $149 through AE but you can probably get a better deal throug
   mail order.

   Of course, if you want to you can take the CP/M card out of the II+ and put
   it in the GS.  But then you'd have to carry the card from school to home
   every day.

					Collin Douglas

STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (Alan Stein) (05/10/89)

 One problem with CP/M is that disk formats are different for different
machines.  Apple's disk format for CP/M is different from any one elses,
so you can't take a CP/M disk from a non-Apple machine and use it on
an Apple.
 On the other hand, if you can transfer it, say by modem, you can work
on the same files and use the same programs.

Alan H. Stein              | stein@uconnvm.bitnet
Department of Mathematics  | stein%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu
University of Connecticut  | ...psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!STEIN
32 Hillside Avenue         |
Waterbury, CT 06710        | Compu$erve  71545,1500
(203) 757-1231             | GEnie       ah.stein

KMILES@CC.USU.EDU ("Kurt Miles, VAX Consultant") (05/10/89)

>   You could always get a CP/M card.  Applied Engineering sells them and
>   they do work on the GS.  I'm not sure if Apple will ever come out

	[stuff deleted]

>   Of course, if you want to you can take the CP/M card out of the II+ and put
>   it in the GS.  But then you'd have to carry the card from school to home
>   every day.

>					Collin Douglas
YOu can't do that if the cpm card is a PCPI Starcard.  it is | | <== theat
much too long for the gs.  I know.  I have one and it doesn't fit.  I ended
up buying another carc (Microsoft), and I wish I had bought an AE card.
The one i have is useless because it won't work with the 3.5" drives, and
I  had to give one of my 5.25" drives to the kids to use on my old II+.
I had to switch to Appleworks for my word processor ( and I really LIKED
WordStar, too.)  (Comments about the relative merits of WordStar, Appleworks,
WordPerfect, etc are not required.  Thank you.)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                               ___    ____               ____     ____   _
                              |   \   |   \     /\      /    \   /    \  |\   |
GreyMan ---->  and the  <---- |    \  |___/    /  \     |  ___   |    |  | \  |
/     \                       |    /  |  \    /====\    |     |  |    |  |  \ |
                              |___/   |   \  /      \   \____/|  \____/  |   \|
Kurt Miles                  :        ..... remember, sometimes the DRAGON wins!
KMILES@USU (Bitnet)         :                                      ------
KMILES@CC.USU.EDU (Internet):

paul@pro-europa.cts.com (Paul Hutmacher) (05/16/89)

Network Comment: to #2276 by pnet01!crash!ucbvax.berkeley.edu!att!occrsh!uokmax!cbdougla

| The card costs $149 through AE but you can probably get a better deal throug
| mail order.

For goodness sakes *don't* rush out and spend $149.00 on an AE Z-80+. It's a
good z-80 but there are scads of folks on local bulletin boards trying to sell
z-80's for twenty bucks or less. Buy one used and play with it for awhile.

paul@pro-europa.cts.com                       |   "Open the pod bay door HAL"
...!crash!pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-europa!paul   |  "Sorry Dave, I can't do that"