[comp.sys.apple] Catalogs

j_p@pro-lep.cts.com (Jason Perez) (05/15/89)

    Is there a way to read filenames in a Prodos catalog listing from within a
Applesoft BASIC program?  I've written a slide show program to display super
hires pictures from basic and would like the program to get the filenames from
the disk w/out me entering them.  Thanks,
                                        Jason

aragorn@blake.acs.washington.edu (Michael Owen) (05/16/89)

In article <8905151519.AA08688@crash.cts.com> pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-lep!j_p@nosc.mil writes:

>    Is there a way to read filenames in a Prodos catalog listing from within a
>Applesoft BASIC program?  I've written a slide show program to display super
>hires pictures from basic and would like the program to get the filenames from
>the disk w/out me entering them.  Thanks,
>                                        Jason

There sure is.  Since you can open any type of file in ProDOS with the
OPEN pathname, tXXX command, reading and processing directories are a synch.
Here's a sample program:

10 D$ = CHR$(4)
20 F$ = "/disk/directory": REM  Enter the path of the DIR file here
30 PRINT D$"open"F$",tdir"
40 PRINT D$"read"F$
50 INPUT I$: REM  Get directory name
60 INPUT I$: REM  Get column headers
70 INPUT I$: REM  Get blank line
80 INPUT I$: REM  Get file info
90 IF I$ = "" THEN 130: REM  End of directory?
100 C = C + 1: REM  Increment file counter
110 L$(C) = I$
120 GOTO 80
130 PRINT D$"close"
140 PRINT C" file(s) read:": PRINT
150 IF NOT C THEN END
160 FOR I = 1 TO C
170 PRINT L$(I)
180 NEXT

When you use this program, you're reading in the 80-column file info, formatted
as follows:

Column		Use
------		---
1		Locked or unlocked
2-16		Filename
18-20		Filetype
23-28		Blocks used by file
31-39		Modification date
41-45		Modification time
48-56		Creation date
58-62		Creation time
64-71		Logical end of file
73		Subtype identifier (A = load Address, R = Record length)
75-79		Load address (hex)
76-79		Record length (decimal)

       />    The Broken Blade           Aragorn III (Michael Owen)
      /< ________ ______________        aragorn@blake.acs.washington.edu
C=====[*>_______/|______________>       Starfleet HQ: (206) 783-5589
      \<                                3/12/24 8N1 24 hrs - A ModemWorks BBS