[comp.sys.apple] //gs & Hard Disk Frustrations

shatara@memit.dec.com (Chris: 223-8753, TECHNOLOGY OFFICE, MLO1-4/T35) (05/15/89)

I'm having some strange problems with a putting a hard drive on a //gs.

The Configuration:

	//gs
	1.25 meg (Apple Exp card)
	RGB monitor
	3.5" drive
	5.25" drive
	AST VISION PLUS CARD
	MDIdeas stereo card
	Apple SCSI card tied to Seagate 30Meg drive
	GSOS

I just got the disk set up and spent the past few days putting software
onto it.  I had the slots and the control panel set up as follows:

	SLOT	CARD		CONTROL PANEL

	7	AST VISION	"YOUR CARD"
	6	SCSI		"YOUR CARD"
	5	empty		SMART PORT
	4	empty		default
	3	empty		default
	2	MDIdeas		default
	1	empty		default

	boot slot = 6

All is fine so far.

After many frustrating hours of running into software which I could not
put on the hard disk and have run successfully, I decided to change the
configuration to allow scanning to determine the boot device. I changed the
cards as follows:

	SLOT	CARD		CONTROL PANEL

	7	AST VISION	"YOUR CARD"
	6	empty		default
	5	empty		SMART PORT (default)
	4	SCSI		"YOUR CARD"
	3	empty		default
	2	MDIdeas		default
	1	empty		default

	boot slot = SCAN

Now the problem I have is when I boot GS/OS from EITHER the HARD DISK or the
3.5"disk, the drive bootS and gets me to the finder but I have no control
over the mouse!  Inserting a 3.5" disk will result in the volume name to
appear on the desk top but without mouse control I can't do anything. If I
didn't know better I'd say that you can't have the SCSI card in SLOT 4,
contrary to the documentation.

1) Has anyone run into this before?

2) Is there anything wrong with the logic about?  This seemed like the
best comprimise.

I'm really getting frustrated with all this.

any help would be appreciated.

/chris

IRPGMR7@OUACCVMB.BITNET (05/15/89)

Chris,

This is going on the assumption that your SCSI card is Rev C.:

You mentioned placing the SCSI card in slot 4 ---  you're right it will
disable your mouse on the //gs.  Slot 4 is reserved for the mouse as the
default.  Select "Your Card" for slot 4 disables this ability.

If this helps any (it works on my gs) here's my config:

7   Apple SCSI    > Seagate ST277N Hard Drive (65 Meg)
6   Internal      > Laser 5.25" Drive
5   Smartport     > AppleDisk 3.5"
4   Internal
3   Internal      > 1 meg Apple Expansion, RamKeeper, 1 meg GS-Ram +
2   Internal      > Avatex 2400
1   Internal      > ImageWriter I

On occasion I have used 2 GS-Ram pluses along with 2 2 Meg expansions
with the RamKeeper.   Neither configuration gave me any problems...
(By the way ----  that's 16 Meg.  the reason I don't leave em in there
is because I don't like the heat in the GS although I do have a System
Saver on it.)

However, I do boot from an AEROM disk (ROM Disk) that has RunRun on it.
I didn't like having to boot ProDOS 16 everytime I wanted to use
AppleWorks or any other ProDOS 8 program.  I then run (from RunRun) the
Prodos file in the root directory of the first partition of the hard
drive.  (Hope you kept track of that)

David William Wrage  a.k.a.  The Frenchman

'I don't have a nifty saying yet, but I'll think of one.....'

US Mail:                               Userid:

134 East Beechwood Estates             IRPGMR7@OUACCVMB.BITNET
Athens, Ohio  45701
United States of America

dvac@drutx.ATT.COM (Daniel Vachon) (05/16/89)

In article <8905141942.AA18398@decwrl.dec.com>, shatara@memit.dec.com writes

> Now the problem I have is when I boot GS/OS from EITHER the HARD DISK or the
> 3.5"disk, the drive bootS and gets me to the finder but I have no control
> over the mouse!
> 1) Has anyone run into this before?

 Yeah.  The mouse needs to be set up for slot 4.  Try putting your SCSI card
in slot 7.  A friend of mine has a gs and SCSI Warp drive, the Apple SCSI card
sits in slot 7, 3-1/2" drives in 5, mouse in 4, floppies in 6, etc...

> /chris

Later -Dan Vachon-

blochowi@cat24.CS.WISC.EDU (Jason Blochowiak) (05/17/89)

In article <8905141745.aa09521@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> IRPGMR7@OUACCVMB.BITNET writes:
> [All sorts of stuff I didn't include]
>However, I do boot from an AEROM disk (ROM Disk) that has RunRun on it.
>I didn't like having to boot ProDOS 16 everytime I wanted to use
>AppleWorks or any other ProDOS 8 program.
	There was an article in Nibble (the most recent one, I think) that
lets you boot either ProDOS 8 or 16, depending on the status of the Caps Lock
key (source is, of course, included, so you can change which modifier key is
used). I've installed it, and it's really nice...
>David William Wrage  a.k.a.  The Frenchman

		Jason Blochowiak (blochowi@garfield.cs.wisc.edu)
			"Not your average iconoclast..."