[comp.sys.apple] Protected mamory

folta@tove.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) (05/12/89)

I sincerely hope that the virtual memory in 7.0 IS NOT one large space
shared by all processes--just like my present Mac but with more memory.

That is the one thing I HATE HATE HATE about the Mac (which I am otherwise
crazy about :-)).  One errant program crashes the entire system.  To
come home from UNIX (with harmles core dumps) to the Mac (with heart-wrenching
system bombs) can be traumatic.  And even worse: you cannot tell which
program caused the crash! It might have been caused by a program you ran a
half hour ago (or at least that is my experience).

I would rather have the system and applications protected from each other
without any virtual memory than have TONS of virtual space with crashes
being that much more spectacular.

Wayne Folta          (folta@tove.umd.edu  128.8.128.42)

phil@Apple.COM (Phil Ronzone) (05/17/89)

In article <17452@mimsy.UUCP> folta@tove.umd.edu.UUCP (Wayne Folta) writes:
>I sincerely hope that the virtual memory in 7.0 IS NOT one large space
>shared by all processes--just like my present Mac but with more memory.
>
>That is the one thing I HATE HATE HATE about the Mac (which I am otherwise
>crazy about :-)).  One errant program crashes the entire system.  To
>come home from UNIX (with harmles core dumps) to the Mac (with heart-wrenching
>system bombs) can be traumatic.

If you have the hardware resources, have you considered A/UX? I develop all
my Mac applications under A/UX, including XCMDs. If I want an actual
Mac binary, I transfer the source over to LSC.

A/UX is also more stringent in 32-bit clean, no-no memory accesses and
priviliged instructions etc. -- helps keep your app inline for 7.0 and
later releases.

|Philip K. Ronzone, Apple Computer, 10440 Bubb Rd, MS 58A, Cupertino, CA 95014|
|{amdahl,decwrl,sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual,unisoft,...}!apple!phil             |
| All "IMHOs" disclaimed and copyrighted. | Self defense is a human right ... |