[comp.sys.apple] BITNET mail follows

MAINT@POMONA.BITNET (04/23/87)

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 87 09:48:01 PDT
From: Network Mailer <MAILER@POMONA>
Subject: Undelivered mail
To: MAINT@POMONA

Your mail was not delivered to some or all of its
intended recipients for the following reason(s):

Transferred files not allowed(Check if it was a bad RSCS node).

Date: 17 Apr 87 23:07:34 GMT
From: "Rick N. Fincher" <ecsvax!ranger@mcnc.ORG>
Subject: Re: Pecan Software development tools for IIGS
Sender: info-apple-request@BRL.ARPA
To: info-apple@BRL.ARPA

The Pecan Pascal systems are the current embodiments of UCSD Pascal.  I
don't know about their current system for the //gs, but their earlier
systems ran under the P-System not Prodos.  If I were you I would not develop
anything for the //gs that runs outside of the Prodos environment.  If
you do you can forget about hard disks, some ram disks, 3.5 inch drives
, desk accessories, etc. etc.  Check with them very carefully before buying
on this point.  TML Pascal and Kayan Pascal are both new Pascal systems
for the //gs that take advantage of the new features and run under Prodos.
That gives them the ability to run all of those Prodos devices, and more
importantly to let other programs coexist with yours.

Rick Fincher
ranger@ecsvax

MAINT@POMONA.BITNET (04/23/87)

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 87 09:48:21 PDT
From: Network Mailer <MAILER@POMONA>
To: MAINT   @POMONA

Your mail was not delivered to some or all of its
intended recipients for the following reason(s):

Syntax error in field-  To
Another network mailer sent an invalid file.

Date: Fri, 17 Apr 87 16:03:07 PST
From: Alan Talampas <atlas@pnet01.CTS.COM>
To: crash!info-apple <@nosc.MIL:crash!info-apple@BRL.ARPA>
Subject: Re:      Software Query

Bag of Tricks II is put out by:

    Quality Software
    21601 Marilla Street
    Chatsworth, CA 91311
    (818) 709-1721

--me mo

MAINT@POMONA.BITNET.UUCP (04/23/87)

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 87 09:47:47 PDT
From: Network Mailer <MAILER@POMONA>
To: MAINT@POMONA

Date: 17 Apr 87 22:38:50 GMT
From: Jim Gilbert <oliveb!felix!jim@AMES.arpa>
Subject: EDASM Linker Doc'n Source
Sender: info-apple-request@BRL.ARPA
To: info-apple@BRL.ARPA

I have found out where to get the documentation on the blasted
ProDOS Assembly Language Toolkit linker.  See page 65 of April 1987
"Nibble," the fine print footnote.

The P.A.C.K. (Programmer's Assembly Language Construction Kit) is
published by Interactive Arts, 2715 Porter St., Soquel, CA,
95073, (408) 475-7047.

It includes EDASM, sample assembly language routines, a linking loader,
and documentation on all of this, including the linker.

$105.  Not such a good deal from my point of view.  (I have a //gs and
APW, which is a better environment anyway.)  But maybe interesting
to someone.

MAINT@POMONA.BITNET (04/23/87)

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 87 09:48:00 PDT
From: Network Mailer <MAILER@POMONA>
To: MAINT@POMONA

Date:     21 Apr 87 02:21:49 GMT
From:     nakada@husc4.harvard.EDU
Subject:  Re: Finding if a file exists on a disk in Applesoft BASIC.
Sender:   info-apple-request@BRL.ARPA
To:       info-apple@BRL.ARPA

>> Can anyone inform me how I can find out if a given file exists on the
>> disk or not through a BASIC (or a ML routine) program?
>>
>> Right now, I am using VERIFY to see if the file name exists.  If it doesn't
>> exists (the desired case), it causes an error.  I use ONERR GOTO and use
>> an error handling routine to deal with it.  The problem is, it seems to
>> clear some GOSUB stacks, and when it encounters a RETURN, it comes back
>> with 'RETURN WITHOUT GOSUB ERROR', even though it was within a subroutine.

This problem is easily overcome using basic.  The key to it is
understanding the error handling in the apple.  The ONERR GOTO
statement is not a conditional gosub statement.  It does, although
save the current program location.  After the proper error correcting
statements are executed in the error routine (in this case, the
creation of a file) a RESUME command should be executed and not a
RETURN.  This will return to the point of the error where the error
has been corrected.

Hope this helps...
paul nakada

nakada@husc4.harvard.edu
nakada@harvsc4.BITNET

MAINT@POMONA.BITNET (04/23/87)

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 87 09:47:36 PDT
From: Network Mailer <MAILER@POMONA>
To: MAINT@POMONA

Date: 20 Apr 87 20:23:19 GMT
From: SilvaNT <ihnp4!drutx!drune!nick@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>
Subject: Re://GS questions, comments
Sender: info-apple-request@BRL.ARPA
To: info-apple@BRL.ARPA

>1.  When I hit a certain series of keys it drops me into an assembler
>monitor.  How do I go about learning what commands the monitor
>understands? I have done some experimenting but this is rough at best.
>Would like a good reference source.  A good tech manual would be nice.
>Does anyone know how to get one?  The same is true for Applesoft(is this
>basic really as weak and archaic as it appears?) as well.  Speaking of
>programming, what is the best language to get for the //gs?  I like pascal
>basic is okay and have been trying to learn C.  But which ever I get I
>would want it to be able to compile.  Of course it should take advantage of
>the newer //gs features.

While the monitor commands are similar to those of the old mini-assembler
there are some differences for 16 bit mode and there are some new commands.
At this time the only source of information on the monitor is found in the
//gs Firmware Reference manual (not yet released but available in draft form
to APDA members). Applesoft has been around for a while, so you should be
able to find a (many) manuals at any bookstore. As for languages, the
'official' languages will be 'C' or 65816 assembly running under APW, but
there are already two native code Pascal compilers availabe (even before
apple C) and a BASIC compiler. To my knowlede, only TML pascal takes
advantage of the GS's toolbox calls.

>2. I just installed a AE gsram card and have a question or two about this.
>First, I have found that when I installed a ramdisk the ramdisk became slot
>5-2.  I have two 3.5 inch drives and they were 5-1 and 5-2.  Now my second
>3.5 inch drive is 2-1.  Why would it do that?

The explanation for this could also be found in the GS firmware ref. manual.

>I have had the Ramdisk lock
>up on me a couple of times when I was playing around with dos and putting
>files in the ramdisk.  Not sure why that is happening.  And last, when I
>copied all of the dos files to ramdisk set the control panel to start from
>the ramdisk then reset the machine it came up saying error with startup
>device.  Can't you run dos from ramdisk?

First, if by dos you mean dos 3.3, it won't work. If Prodos, first make sure
you have formated the ramdisk, and that you include Prodos and possibly a
Startup file on the ramdisk.

                    Nick Silva
                    AT&T-IS

Disclaimer: My opinions are my own, the company doesn't pay me enough to
give those away too!

MAINT@POMONA.BITNET (04/23/87)

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 87 09:47:05 PDT
From: Network Mailer <MAILER@POMONA>
To: MAINT@POMONA

Date: 11 Apr 87 11:01:19 GMT
From: Frank Evans <mnetor!utzoo!dciem!frank@seismo.CSS.GOV>
Subject: HELP!! Interchanging Spreadsheet Files ie DIF <> SYLK or WKS??
Sender: info-apple-request@BRL.ARPA
To: info-apple@BRL.ARPA

I am trying to find a Macintosh
spreadsheet program which can load
"DIF" files and reconvert to "SYLK"
files.

I have a NEC "Starlet Laptop" computer
which uses a version of "Calc to Go"
spreadsheet. This program creates its
own unique format files which can only
be read by itself. However it can also
store the files as "DIF" files which
can be loaded into a Lotus 1-2-3 or
similar spreadsheet program.

My problem is that the Mac spreadsheet
programs such as Jazz, Excell, Crunch
and Multiplan cannot interpret and load
a "DIF" style of file. Therefore I
cannot exchange spreadsheet info and
templates from my NEC "Starlet Laptop"
computer with Excell on my Macintosh.

If anyone knows of any programs which
can load both (SYLK or WKS) and DIF
files or convert one to the other, I
would deeply appreciate it if you would
let me know!!

Thanks for your help.

MAINT@POMONA.BITNET (04/23/87)

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 87 09:47:09 PDT
From: Network Mailer <MAILER@POMONA>
To: MAINT@POMONA

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 87 09:46:43 PDT
From: Network Mailer <MAILER@POMONA>
To: MAINT@POMONA

Your mail was not delivered to some or all of its
intended recipients for the following reason(s):

Transferred files not allowed(Check if it was a bad RSCS node).

> Can anyone inform me how I can find out if a given file exists on the
> disk or not through a BASIC (or a ML routine) program?
>
> Right now, I am using VERIFY to see if the file name exists.  If it doesn't
> exists (the desired case), it causes an error.  I use ONERR GOTO and use
> an error handling routine to deal with it.  The problem is, it seems to
> clear some GOSUB stacks, and when it encounters a RETURN, it comes back
> with 'RETURN WITHOUT GOSUB ERROR', even though it was within a subroutine.

There are two ways I can think of doing this.  One is obtaining an ampersand
routine &gosub &return which will maintain the stack when an error occurs.

Many utilities which make use of the ampersand vector have such a routine.

This method, however, is probably not what you want.

Another way to find a file on disk is to read the entire directory off
of the disk with a subroutine and toss the list of files into an array.

I use such a routine in a Teacher Grading program I wrote and it works well.
If you (or anyone else for that matter) would like to know how this is done,
I would be glad to put the routine on a disk if you send me one w/ return
postage.

Peter Godwin                   |      ...ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!god3
Univ. of Chicago Comp Ctr      |      x9.xpg@uchicago
5824 S. Kimbark Ave, #2419     |      god3%sphinx@uchicago
Chicago, IL 60637              |      Phone #: 312-288-1816

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 87 09:46:17 PDT
From: Network Mailer <MAILER@POMONA>
To: MAINT@POMONA

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 87 09:45:51 PDT
From: Network Mailer <MAILER@POMONA>
To: MAINT@POMONA

Date: 18 Apr 87 19:38:53 GMT
From: Gadi <friedman@topaz.rutgers.EDU>
Subject: Re: (none)
Sender: info-apple-request@BRL.ARPA
To: info-apple@BRL.ARPA

>something that runs with more than just super serial cards.  Further,
>brain-damaged add-on hardware for a terminal program loses (i.e. Softronics).

Whats wrong with Softerm II?  (Softronics..)
The IIc version does not require extra hardware (for most features.).
For 2 of the  switches you use open/closed-apple.  It runs fine
on a IIe (both enhanced and unenhanced) with 128k.
There might be a use for the extra button, but I haven't found
it yet.  (Something to do with emulating the terminal function keys.)

                   Gadi
--
ARPA:                        friedman@topaz.rutgers.edu
UUCP:  {harvard, seismo, ut-sally, sri-iu, ihnp4!packard}!rutgers!topaz!friedman

MAINT@POMONA.BITNET (04/23/87)

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 87 09:45:38 PDT
From: Network Mailer <MAILER@POMONA>
To: MAINT@POMONA

Date: 20 Apr 87 21:03:17 GMT
From: Ralph Hyre <ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.EDU>
Subject: Re: APW and other stuff
Sender: info-apple-request@BRL.ARPA
To: info-apple@BRL.ARPA

In article <3624@think.UUCP> whitney@godot.think.com.UUCP (David Whitney)
 writes:
..
>Next question:
>
>Real Modem Program Programmers Don't Use The Firmware. They get right down
>on the bare metal and use the serial chip directly. On the Apple //c, this was
>easy because it was documented. On the //GS, it's hard because it's not
>documented.
Apple probably hasn't documented because they want you to use the firmware.
The only reasons not to are speed and functionality - Apple and hardware
developers should be able to provide both.

If Apple doesn't provide a needed feature (like sending BREAK, for example)
in Firmware, let them know how to do it right. [Apple provides for CONTROL
and INTERRUPT entry points in newer firmware, firmware developers should agree
on what the byte-size command for 'send BREAK' is.  Apple needs to provide
some guidance in this area.]
--
                    - Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.

Copyright (c) 1987 by Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.
Internet: ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu    Phone:(412)268-{2847,3275} CMU-{BUGS,DARK}
AX25: N3FGW@KA3ORW (AX25), or just c/o W3VC, CMU Radio Club, Pittsburgh, PA

MAINT@POMONA.BITNET (04/23/87)

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 87 17:20:00 EDT
From: "Bruce P. Halpern" <halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.EDU>
To: NYSOKO@weizmann.bitnet, info-apple@BRL.ARPA
Subject: RE: Laser 128 software, reliability, price, etc.

I. Software
Most Apple ][ software will execute, including Apple Pascal 1.3, AppleWorks 1.3
 and 2.0, Sensible Speller, Bookends Extended, etc. SuperMacroworks per se
would not execute, but AppleWorks 2.0 modified with SuperMacroWorks did work
o.k.
II. Reliability
We had an early external disk/controller problem, probably caused by plugging
in the disk when the Laser 128 power was on. Central Point fixed it **UNDER
WARANTEE**, and had it back to us in a week.
III. Prices
Without a monitor or external drive, about $380 to $400, plus shipping. Note
that internal memory expansion to 640 K is now available for <$200.
IV. Our experience has been quite positive. We use it to run an experiment,
A/D input from the Joystick port, and collect the data on disk, several hours
a day. It has been very satisfactory for this purpose.

                Bruce P. Halpern
                Psychology and Neurobiology and Behavior
                Cornell University Ithaca NY 14853-7601  USA
                halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
                halp@CRNLTHRY.BITNET
                D57J@CORNELLA.BITNET

MAINT@POMONA.BITNET (04/23/87)

Date: 18 Apr 87 20:50:17 GMT
From: ihnp4!homxb!houxm!homxc!signal@UCBVAX.Berkeley.EDU
Subject: Writer's Choice Elite for GS
Sender: info-apple-request@BRL.ARPA
To: info-apple@BRL.ARPA

Has anyone seen "Writer's Choice Elite" for the Apple II GS?
This MacWrite-like word processor is supposed to be a companion to
Paintworks Plus.  It was expected  to be out in October, 86.

I tried to use MultiScribe GS, but found it *extremely* buggy and
lacked many advertised features in the early release.  After
complaining to Styleware, they sent me a copy of version 2.0 for
the IIe.  This seems to work ok, but does not allow figures from
Paintworks Plus to be pasted in.  Also, while it has the "look
and feel" of MacWrite, there are enough differences to be
annoying.

                Jim Boddie
                homxc!signal

MAINT@POMONA.BITNET (04/23/87)

Date:     Sun, 19 Apr 87  14:36 EST
From:     SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.EDU
Subject:  Kermit 3.75 files
To:       INFO-APPLE@BRL.ARPA
CC:       DSF2652@ritvax

I finally got around to finding and reading the March 1987 NetMonth
(which by the way you should be able to "subscribe" to from your
local LISTSERV with SUB NETMONTH <your name>).  If you haven't a
copy of Kermit-65 V 3.75 yet and you are west of OHSUVM (the PSUVM-
OHSUVM nodes are HUGE file bottlenecks largely because of requests
to KERMSRV), PLEASE send your request to KERMSRV at UOFT02 (that's
at Toledo and is west of the bottleneck).

From IBM sites:

TELL KERMSRV AT UOFT02 SENDME A2K375.*
TELL KERMSRV AT UOFT02 SENDME A2*.DOC

From VAX sites:

SEND KERMSRV@UOFT02 SENDME A2K375.*
SEND KERMSRV@UOFT02 SENDME A2*.DOC

From nets other than bitnet, send mail (no subject) to
kermsrv@uoft02.bitnet

SENDME A2K375.*
SENDME A2*.DOC

If you happen to be east of PSUVM, then substitute CUVMA for
UOFT02 above.

-----

For Peter Godwin: I keep getting "illegal address," but I'm still
learning how to send mail across nets and yours is more complicated
than most.  Send me another message and I'll try once more to see
if I can figure out your return address.

MAINT@POMONA.BITNET (04/23/87)

Date: 20 Apr 87 05:43:56 GMT
From: Jack Fine <ptsfa!pbhyc!jdf@ames.arpa>
Subject: //gs wordprocessors
Sender: info-apple-request@BRL.ARPA
To: info-apple@BRL.ARPA

I have been following this news group carefully trying to get as much
insight as I can on programs for the //gs.  I bought appleworks but I am
not sure that was the best choice although it is an integrated package and
does work with the gsram nicely.  I did buy Paintworks plus and it is nice
especially the color printing (my son and I had fun this easter making
paper easter eggs.) but I have had problems with it locking up on me as others
have mentioned with the lasso and in other cases as well (double clicked
and missed target.  Menu did a funny shade change with two choices
indicated at once and whole thing quit responding.)  Don't get me wrong I
really like the program but hope they fix the problems and offer an
inexpensive upgrade.

Now to my point.  I would really like to get a good mac-like wordprocessor.
I took a look at Wordperfect but it doesn't support pulldown menus (didn't
have the thesaurus built-in either).  Multiscribe for the //gs has some
nice features but wasn't as smooth as I would like and it didn't have a spell
checker or a thesaurus.  Mousewrite was very hard to get the mouse to work
properly and just didn't have as nice a user interface as Multiscribe.  It
did have a minimal dictionary spell checker.

In someways I am spoiled with ms-dos based software.  It will be nice when
a really good mouse interface with full pulldown windows wordprocessor is
available that also has all the features that have been around for a long
time on other systems.  Like a thesaurus and a spell checker, color screen
and text changer an undo command and of course if it can incorporate
Paintworks plus graphics that would be real nice too.  Anyone know of a wp
that will do this now or is it a matter of waiting?

Jack

MAINT@POMONA.BITNET (04/23/87)

Date: Sat 18 Apr 87 16:49:02-EST
From: Doug Reuben <S.D-REUBEN%KLA.WESLYN%WESLEYAN.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.EDU>
Subject: 2400 Baud modem for sale
To: Info-Apple@BRL.ARPA

Subject: For Sale
To: DSF2652@RITVAX.BITNET

A friend on mine without Net access wants to sell his Courrier 2400 baud
modem so that he can get a U.S. Robotics Courrier HST.

He has only had it a month, and it is in perfect working order. He is asking
$300 for it, or your best offer.

If anyone is interested, please e-mail me, and I will put you in touch with
him.

      Thanks,

      -Doug Reuben

REUBEN@WESLYN.BITNET
REUBEN%WESLYN.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA
..(rutgers!) seismo!weslyn.bitnet!reuben (UUCP)

-------

MAINT@POMONA.BITNET (04/23/87)

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 87 01:23:27 PST
From: Mike Kao <mkao@pnet01.CTS.COM>
To: crash!info-apple <@nosc.MIL:crash!info-apple@BRL.ARPA>
Subject: Jasmine SCSI revisited

According to input from various reliable sources, the Jasmine SCSI drives will
work fine with Apple //'s equipped with the Apple SCSI card or equivalent.
Apparently, the 50/25 pin discrepancy is not a problem since the cable is 50
to 25 pins. That leaves only the software to format the disk. Does anyone know
of any PD stuff that will do this? Incidentally, I heard that ONLY Prodos will
work on it. Why? I have no idea...there MUST be a way to use other OS's...
|       Mike "The Metalhead" Kao:                                            |
|       UUCP: {akgua,hp-sdd!hlpabs,sdcsvax,nosc}!crash!pnet01!mkao           |
|       ARPA: crash!pnet01!mkao@nosc.arpa                                    |
|       INET: mkao@pnet01.CTS.COM                                            |
|____________________________________________________________________________|

MAINT@POMONA.BITNET (04/23/87)

Date: Fri, 17 Apr 87 16:03:07 PST
From: Alan Talampas <atlas@pnet01.CTS.COM>
To: crash!info-apple <@nosc.MIL:crash!info-apple@BRL.ARPA>

Bag of Tricks II is put out by:

    Quality Software
    21601 Marilla Street
    Chatsworth, CA 91311
    (818) 709-1721

--Alan

DSF2652@RITVAX.BITNET (05/18/87)

Please delete me from this list.  Thanks.

KJKINNEL@MTUS5.BITNET (08/25/87)

Date:         Tue, 18 Aug 87 22:50:01 EST
From:         Kevin Kinnell <KJKINNEL@MTUS5>
Subject:      The Apple //GS
To:           ADVISE-L@NDSUVM1

I'm part of a programming group working on some tutorial software for
the Chem dept. here at MTU.  The machine we are programming is the
Apple //GS.  (It's a fairly nice machine, for a micro.  Except when it
isn't...)

Our problem is that there is little or no literature out there with example
code in it.  We have TML Pascal and APW Assem and 'C' (which doesn't work) but
example code for some of the 'Toolbox' routines is non-existant.  Trying to
wade through the explanations of these routines is like swimming through
molasses -- you get there eventually, but it's slow, sticky going.  Some
code fragments in some language would be very helpful.

If anyone knows of any material on the //GS other than the Tech Ref, the
Toolbox refs, the APW manuals or the TML Pascal manual (all of which we
have and none of which has examples for many of the routines we need)
PLEASE send me a note!

Thanx,
Kevin
KJKINNEL@MTUS5  BITNet
(906) 487 2549  Office voice
 Kevin Kinnell       ADVISE-L@NDSUVM1     8/18/87 The Apple //GS

BHUBER@ECLA.USC.EDU (08/26/87)

One of the better (best?) practical references for Pascal that I have found is
a book called "Oh. Pascal".  It provides usable code (Pascal, of course)
segments for all kinds of neato things that every programmer uses, e.g.,
binary search algorithms, various sorting techniques, etc.  It is written in
unconventional English, and for a programming text that means it is readable
and usable rather than techie language.

I agree with your assessment of APW C, and have (temprarily, hopefully) shelved
it until a better release.  Maybe it is just me, but the code produced is
huge and SLOW.  My preference now is Orca Pascal (just released by Byteworks)
over TML (both versions).  Orca Pascal appears to be very clean, compact, fast,
but suffering from lack of documentation for the more esoteric (read as use of
tools, special calls, etc.) stuff.

Have a nice day,
Bud

CN0001JT@UKCC.BITNET (09/30/87)

Forgive my lack of being totally informed, but there is a note up that
says "Kermit 3.79 is up" _____ can I safely assume that means
on APPLE2-L fileserver ?
Response directly to me would be better, since most of the others
know the answer.

Question #2:

            What is the maximum size for a file that is going to be sent
      to APPLE2-L ??   Is 75K bytes too large  or can it handle 120+K ?

                      " Jeff "  CN0001JT @ UKCC

                             Forgive the lack of a logo. It is
                             still under construction ________

STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (10/21/87)

Backup Instructions Obtained From CompuServe

Here's how to make a working backup copy of Music Studio that does not
ask you to insert the master disk.  In order to make an unprotected copy
you need:
    1)Any disk copy program that will ignore bad blocks on the disk.
          Copy II+ and Glen Bredon's volume copy program from Prosel will
          work fine.
    2)A ProDOS block/sector editor.  Block Warden (Prosel), Copy II+
          sector editor, or the Bag of Tricks II Zap program will work.
          If you don't have access to one of these programs, a program
          that will do the job can be found in DL3 in the file PBE.EXE.
          The documentation for this program is in the file PBE.DOC.

To make the working copy:
    1)Copy the original program disk to another 3.5" disk, telling
          the copy program to ignore the error on block 7.
    2)Use the block editor to find byte $14 in block $44D (1101).
          You can also search the disk for the byte sequence: 0C 00 C9
          01 00 F0, which will uniquely find the the proper byte.
    3)Change the byte from F0 to 80.
    4)Write the block back to the disk.
    5)You now have a de-protected copy of Music Studio!

Several people have had trouble getting this program to work on a hard
disk.  Here are some tips to help out:
    1)Make sure that you boot into ProDOS 16 from the hard disk.
    2)Copy any files from the Music Studio /SYSTEM subdirectory that
          don't exist on the hard disk to the appropriate subdirectory
          on the hard disk.  Make sure to delete the /SYSTEM subdirectory
          in the Music Studio subdirectory, as having two systems on the
          hard disk can cause problems.
    3)If all else fails, the program should run from the root
          directory of the hard drive.

I would like to stress that these instructions are provided to allow
archival backups only.  If anyone can figure out how to make backups of
any other copy-protected IIgs programs, please post the info here or leave
me E-mail.

                      Rodney Somerstein 73167,2165

                    Deluxe Paint // Backup

Well Mates can you believe I found a common denominator in the
Electronic Arts protection scheme that envolves Prodos 16 and
Super Hi-Res Graphics......  Any way here is how to break the
protection on Deluxe Paint ][

1. Copy the program key disk with Copy][ Plus full disk copy
(note you will have to format the target disk first).

2. Break out your copy of Prosel's Block Worden and get it up and
running and working on your COPY of Deluxe Paint ][ I.E. Make it
so that it will be reading and writing to that disk.

3. Read in Block $412

4. Enter the Edit mode and move the
cursor to Byte $169
5. It should be over a byte that reads $A8.... Change this to $EA

6. Exit the Edit mode by pressing ESC and Write this block back
out to the disk.

7. You now have a copy of Deluxe Paint ][ that you can back-up
using the normal copy programs for the 3.5 drives.

Remember, this is only for making a working backup for yourself.
                    David Dutcher
            71500,2467

Here's how to make a working backup copy of Paintworks Plus that does not
ask you to insert the master disk.  In order to make an unprotected copy
you need:
    1)Any disk copy program that will ignore bad blocks on the disk.
          Copy II+ and Glen Bredon's volume copy program from Prosel will
          work fine.
    2)A ProDOS block/sector editor.  Block Warden (Prosel), Copy II+
          sector editor, or the Bag of Tricks II Zap program will work.
          If you don't have access to one of these programs, a program
          that will do the job can be found in DL3 in the file PBE.EXE.
          The documentation for this program is in the file PBE.DOC.

To make the working copy:
    1)Copy the original program disk to another 3.5" disk, telling
          the copy program to ignore the error on block 7.
    2)Use the block editor to find the sequence of bytes: C9 06 09
          D0 01.  This sequence is in block $291 (657).  You can also
          have the program search the entire disk for these bytes.
    3)Change the five bytes to EA's (NOP, or no-operation
          instructions).
    4)Write the block back to the disk.
    5)You now have a de-protected copy of Paintworks Plus!

Several people have had trouble getting this program to work on a hard
disk.  Here are some tips to help out:
    1)Make sure that you boot into ProDOS 16 from the hard disk.
    2)Copy any files from the Paintworks /SYSTEM subdirectory that
          don't exist on the hard disk to the appropriate subdirectory
          on the hard disk.  Make sure to delete the /SYSTEM subdirectory
          in the Paintworks subdirectory, as having two systems on the
          hard disk can cause problems.
    3)If all else fails, the program should run from the root
          directory of the hard drive.

I would like to stress that these instructions are provided to allow
archival backups only.  If anyone can figure out how to make backups of
any other copy-protected IIgs programs, please post the info here or leave
me E-mail.

                      Rodney Somerstein 73167,2165

The following document describes the method for making a backup copy
of Writer's Choice elite that does not require the use of the master
(key) disk.  To complete the archival backup procedure, you will
need:
      1)  A disk copy program that is capable of ignoring bad blocks
          on a disk. Copy II+ and Glen Bredon's volume copy program
          from Prosel will do the trick.
      2)  A ProDOS block/sector editor. The Copy II+ sector editor,
          Prosel's Block Warden or Beagle Bros' Pro-Byter will work.
          The file PBE.EXE in DL3 will also work.

To make the de-protected backup:
      1)  Copy the original program disk to a blank 3.5" disk.  If
          you use Copy II+, version 7.0 or higher and copy straight
          from the master disk to the new backup, it will
          automatically ignore the block 7 error. If you are using
          another copy program, you may have to manually force the
          error to be ignored.
      2)  Use the block editor to locate the sequence of Hex bytes:
          C9 07 00 D0 01. This sequence can be found in block $523
          (1315), byte $73 (115). If the block/sector editor is
          capable of searching for hex bytes, you could have it
          search the entire disk for this sequence.
      3)  Change the five bytes to EA's (NOP, or No Operation
          instructions).
      4)  Write the block back to the disk.
      5)  You have now created a de-protected copy of Writer's
          Choice elite.

This procedure is intended to produce an archival backup copy ONLY
of Writer's Choice elite.  NOTE: If you like the fonts used in
Writer's Choice elite, and you are using MultiScribe GS or
DeluxePaint II, you can interchange the fonts between programs
simply by copying each font file to the /SYSTEM/FONTS subdirectory
of the program disk you want them on.

                       --- Allan C. Reichert  76167,370

ARPA:   stein%uconnvm.bitnet@wiscvm.wisc.edu       Alan H. Stein
BITNET: STEIN@UCONNVM                          University of Connecticut
UUCP:   ...ihnp4!psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!STEIN        at Waterbury
CompuServe: 71545,1500  Genie:  ah.stein       Department of Mathematics

FARRAR@OUACCVMB.BITNET (12/05/87)

  Does anyone have a /RAM device driver (or other patches for ProDos) that
would allow an Apple II+ with the A.E. Transwarp card to use part of the
RAM on the card as a 64K ramdisk?  I am encouraged that it should be
possible since there is an AppleWorks patch program (PLUS-WORKS) that
can use the "//e like auxiliary bank capability" of Transwarp to
give 55K desktop on a 64K II+.

  Any hints on how to do this would be greatly appreciated.

-------
ARPA:    FARRAR%OUACCVMB.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu       J. C. Farrar
BITNET:  FARRAR@OUACCVMB                    Ohio University, Athens, OH

STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (12/13/87)

     Niko Schuessler ga.nes@isumvs,
>     About the ProDos error I had earlier using Kermit 3.7(5 or 9)--
>someone suggested I set the prefix before i use the Modem command.

>   The modem command works when I exit kermit (it starts up on boot)
>and BRUN it again.  I don't have to do anything with the prefix..
>Why?

  When you set various parameters, you are actually changing the machine
language code in memory.  That is why you can BSAVE Kermit set up for your
individual parameters and not need the INIT file anymore.

ARPA:   stein%uconnvm.bitnet@wiscvm.wisc.edu       Alan H. Stein
BITNET: STEIN@UCONNVM                          University of Connecticut
UUCP:   ...ihnp4!psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!STEIN        at Waterbury
CompuServe: 71545,1500  Genie:  ah.stein       Department of Mathematics

ANDY@MTUS5.BITNET (03/07/88)

This is a test file for info-app....

JCKASPER@MTUS5.BITNET (03/28/88)

Date:         Mon, 28 Mar 88 04:09:02 EST
From:         "John C. Kasperski" <JCKASPER@MTUS5>
Subject:      PC Hard Disk on GS...
To:           "Anyone that can help..." <Info-Apple@brl.arpa>

     I remember reading sometime ago about someone who had hooked up a SeaGate
ST225N hard drive directly to the Apple IIxx (I think it was a GS, but I don't
remember off hand.)  Could someone please fill me in on exactly how to did
this.  I seem to remember the person saying that they used the CMS controller
card, is this right?  How much is this ST225N hard drive?  What about the
ST251N (the 40 meg version, I believe)?  Will this work, and if so how much
does it cost?  How exactly did they do this???

    A couple of days ago I got a got a flyer from PERLIN Electronics concerning
the MegaBoard hard disk controller that they sell (I had sent them
a letter asking for more info.)  For those who don't know what the MegaBoard
is, it allows you to use PC hard drives on your Apple computer.  The card
costs a pretty penny, $200 with shipping, but considering that a you can get a
20 meg PC hard disk for over $300 less than the Sider 20 meg it might be worth
it.  The flyer that I got listed a few systems that they had, the least
expensize being a Lapine LT-200 20 meg hard drive system for $500.00.  Has
anybody heard anything about this hard drive controller?  Does anyone have
one?  Com'on those of you in Europe, they claim (in the flyer) that Apple
users in Europe have used their card "enthusiastically" for over 2 and half
years now?  Someone must have heard something?  How well will this card hold
up?

      John C. Kasperski, "Jc"                        JCKASPER @ MTUS5

                      Michigan Technological University

JCKASPER@MTUS5.BITNET (03/28/88)

Date:         Mon, 28 Mar 88 04:09:02 EST
From:         "John C. Kasperski" <JCKASPER@MTUS5>
Subject:      SHRConvert...
To:           "Anyone that can help..." <Info-Apple@brl.arpa>

     Does anyone know how I could get a hold of Jason Harper - the author of
SHRConvert.  I would like to get the updated copy of this program that will
allow IBM graphics to be transfered into the GS super hi-res screens.  I do
not have an account on any of the national information services (such as Genie
or Compuserve).  All I have is this Bitnet acct.  Does anyone out there have
Jason Harper's address?  Better yet, does anyone have the recent edition of
SHRConvert that allows IBM graphics to be imported?  And could you mail it to
me?  (I have Jason's freeware program, but that doesn't support IBM.)

Date:         Mon, 28 Mar 88 04:15:02 EST
From:         "John C. Kasperski" <JCKASPER@MTUS5>
To:           "Anyone that can help..." <Info-Apple@brl.arpa>

    Is anyone else having any problems with the new ProTERM (2.0)?  The Kermit
protocal and the mainframe Kermit protocal here at Michigan Technological
University don't seem to agree totally.

    As fas as downloading, there is no problems... it's the uploading where the
two disagree.  Uploading works, except for sending the last block.  Either the
mainframe here doesn't like what it's getting in this last block or Kermit
doesn't like the reply its getting back.  Does anyone know what the problem
might be.  I tried changing every single option on our mainframe, but nothing
has worked.  I know that I'm not the only one who has this problem... a friend
of mine in North Dakota told me he was having the exact same problem.

Does any one know what's wrong or how to fix it?

      John C. Kasperski, "Jc"                        JCKASPER @ MTUS5

                      Michigan Technological University

p.s.: The other protocal's (X-Modem Standard, at least) seem to be working ok.
      And I'd love to use it with the mainframe... but Kermit is the only thing
      that our mainframe supports.

tclark@hawk.ulowell.edu (Claude Funston) (03/29/88)

I downloaded Version 2.0 of SHRConvert from GEnie recently.
I'm not sure what graphics format IBM uses but SHRC can read:

		Apple II HiRes, DHR
		C64 Doodle, Koala, PS (b/w)
		MAC Screenmaker, MACPaint
		RLE (Run Length Encoded)
		GIF (CIS Graphics Exchange)
		$C0 Compressed SHR
		$C1 Uncompressed SHR

	and Converts to:

		$C1 Uncompressed
		$C0 Paintworks Plus V1.0+
		$C0 _PackBytes
		$C0 Apple Preffered
		GIF

	Jason Harper
	1480 Michelle Ct. #A
	Colorodo Springs, CO
		80916

				The ShareWare charge is a WELL WORTH $15

				Hope this helps

				Tom Clark

JCKASPER@MTUS5.BITNET (04/09/88)

Date:         Sat, 09 Apr 88 10:15:33 EST
From:         "John C. Kasperski    (Otherwise known as 'Jc')" <JCKASPER@MTUS5>
Subject:      Re: HELP!!!!
To:           Info-Apple@BRL.ARPA

>From: unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (60164000)

>In an issue a few months ago (probably March or April), I saw an ad for
>a card that would make IBM HARD DRIVES WORK ON THE APPLE! I remember almost
>no specifics, but I believe the card was for under $200. It had the card,
>SOFTWARE, and, I believe, cables included.

The hard drive controller that you mentioned is the MegaBoard from Perlin
Electronics...  Yes, it will allow you to hook up IBM drives to an Apple.

>It was said to work with "ST" drives (like the "ST225N" you speak of) with
>up to 64 megabytes [must have partitioning built in].

No, it will not work with the SeaGate ST225N... The "N" series of drives by
Seagate are genuine SCSI drives.... (or at least good SCSI clones).  They will
not work with the MeagBoard.  In fact these aren't the only drives that won't
work.  The 30 meg. ST238 is a RLL drive and although it will supposedly work...
you will only be able to get 20 megs out of it with the MegaBoard controller.

>This really sounds like a good card, and when I get enough money to buy a
>hard drive, I will probably seriously consider this option rather than buying
>a hard drive specifically for the Apple (too !@#$ much money!!).

Actually to tell you the truth... you won't really save that much money buying
this hard drive... Especially if you buy one of the packages that Perlin
Electronics has already made up.  Their least expensive package is a 20 meg.
Lapine LT-200 hard drive... It sells for $499... (plus tax and shipping).
Considering that you can get a 20 meg Sider for about $550 it's not really that
much cheaper.  Of course you could always buy the hard drive from somplace
else... But then you would also have to buy or make a power supply and case.

That's why I think I'm going to get the ST225N drive... and... despite the lack
of response I recieved regarding the cry for "HELP!!!" I posted a week ago
asking about this drive I was able to gather a few prices and write them all up
document like I said I was going to.  This summary lists all of the prices I
found regarding hard drives and the various ways that you could install a hard
drive to your Apple.  (I found 4 main ways.)  I also included a list of all the
companies I cited in the summary and their phone numbers in case anyone was
interested in more info.   If anyone wants a copy of this hard disk summary
please send me your userid and node.  Hopefully I will be able to reach all
those who ask for this from my BITNET acct.  I was going to post this summary
directly to Info-Apple but after looking at how long it was... (over 150 lines)
I decided that I better not.  :)

  <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
  <  John C. Kasperski, "Jc"                     Bitnet: JCKASPER @ MTUS5  >
  <                                                                        >
  <                   Michigan Technological University                    >
  <                                                                        >
  <  Disclaimer:  The only foolish question, is the one that goes unasked. >
  <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
 JCKASPER MTUS5  4/09/88
 John C. Kasperski   Info-Apple@BRL.ARPA  4/09/88*HELP!!!!

JCKASPER@MTUS5.BITNET (04/12/88)

Date:         Tue, 12 Apr 88 00:23:27 EST
From:         "John C. Kasperski    (Otherwise known as 'Jc')" <JCKASPER@MTUS5>
Subject:      Hard Disk Summary
To:           Info-Apple@brl.arpa

Well, I originally stated that I wasn't going to bother posting this directly
to Info-Apple, but after I unsuccessfully attempting to E-mail it to one of
it's first requesters about 5 times I realized that posting it would be the
only sensible thing to do.   If you are not at all interested in hard disks
or you already own one... there is no need for you to read any further and
you may discard this piece of mail.   For those of you that did ask for the
hard disk summary I mentioned... well here it is.  First, I must admit, this
is by no means a complete list and I'm accepting any comments and suggestions
about things I left out from anyone out there who is willing to give them...
Also, I do not claim to be a writer and I actually hate writing... so don't
be surprised if this seems crude and unprofessional... because it IS. :)

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
|                             HARD DISK SUMMARY                              |
|                          (Price comparision guide)                         |
|                       Written up by: John C. Kasperski                     |
|                       Bitent address: JCKASPER @ MTUS5                     |
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

     Well I've investigated all, or nearly all, the possible options there are
in hooking up a hard disk to an Apple //xx computer.   I've found that there
are basicly 4 different options that you can take.  (NOTE: This report is for
20 megabyte drives only!)  These options vary quite a bit as far as price and
their pro's and con's.  At the end of this list of these options, I included a
list of all those companies I cited along with their corresponding addresses
and phone numbers in case you wish to get further information or order a hard
disk.

Option 1.  Apple, Sider, CMS hard disk.

Hard Ware
Needed         Price  Company     Comments
-----------    -----  -------     ----------------------------
Apple HDsc    $1200?  Apple       Con: Very expensive, no software, only
                                       ProDOS
Apple II       $119   Apple       Pro: Expandability, Apple II SCSI card will
SCSI card                              allow you to hook up multiple devices.

Sider 20 meg   $549   Programs    Pro: Partioning (I think) and multiple
                      Plus (A+)        operating systems

CMS 20 meg     $579   Quality     Pro: Partioning and multiple operating
CMS SCSI              Computers        systems
controller     $ 95     (A+)

Option 2.  MegaBoard and one of their pre-built systems

Hard Ware
Needed         Price  Company        Comments
-----------    -----  -------        ----------------------------
MegaBoard &    $499   Perlin         Pro: Partioning into 2 drives
Lapine LT 200         Electronics         Allows multiple operating systems
(20 meg)

MegaBoard &    $599   Perlin         Pro: Same as stated above.
SeaGate ST225         Electronics
(20 meg)

Option 3.  Buy just the MegaBoard from Perlin Electronics and buy the hard
           hard disk, case, & power supply from someplace else.  (The least
           expensive 3rd party dealer in IBM hardware I found was JDR
           Microdevices... PLEASE tell me if you find prices for lower than
           those that I listed. )

Hard Ware
Needed         Price  Company        Comments
-----------    -----  -------        ----------------------------
MegaBoard      $200   Perlin         Pro: Same as above
                      Electronics    Con: You will have to build the system
Case & Power   $50    JDR                 yourself
Supply                Microdevices   Con: Limited to 64 megs... 2 (32 megs)
Lapine LT-200  $199   JDR
                      Microdevices

                                    <OR>

MegaBoard      $200   Perlin         Pro: Same as above
                      Electronics    Con: Same as above
Case & Power   $50    JDR
Supply                Microdevices
SeaGate ST225  $259   JDR
                      Microdevices

Option 4.  Buy an Apple II SCSI card and install a SeaGate ST225N drive
           directly to your Apple

Hard Ware
Needed         Price  Company        Comments
-----------    -----  -------        ----------------------------
Apple II       $119   Apple          Pro: EXPANDABILITY.... will allow you to
SCSI card                                 hook up multiple devices.
Case & Power   $50    JDR            Con: Only ProDOS... NO SOFTWARE...
Supply                Microdevices        Limit of 32 Meg... no partioning.
                                          You will have to build the system
                                          yourself
SeaGate 225N   $330   Hamiliton      Pro: Low price, it is a SCSI drive!!!
                      Avnet               WILL work with Apple II SCSI card
                                     Con: The cable may have to be re-wired
                                          Apple II SCSI card is 25DB pin &
                                          ST225N is 50 pin.

     Well, that's the 4 main options that I've found.  Whatever you decide will
probably depend on 1) how much you are willing to spend, 2) whether you want to
be able to use multiple operating systems (i.e. ProDOS, DOS 3.3, UCSD Pascal,
CPM... etc), and 3) whether you want to be able to expand your system so that
you can add on a second hard drive, and 4) whether you want to go through the
hassel of trying to build the sytem yourself and save a few dollars of buy it
alread built.   As far as my own personal self... I haven't gotten a hard disk
yet, but I think I've made up my mind on what option 1-4 I plan to take.  First
in regards to the 4 decisions I mentioned a bit ago, I am looking for the least
expensive drive, all I want/need in ProDOS, yes, I want expandibility... and no
I don't mind going through the hassel of trying to build my own system.  My
option therefore is... 4.  the SeaGate 225N drive which I asked about on
Info-Apple recently, but did not get a single reply back.   Why am I choosing
this option... it's still going to cost over $500 for it?   Well, basicly
becuase of the possiblity of expandability.  The Apple II SCSI card can
recognize up to 7 devices in ProDOS 16 and 4 in ProDOS 8 so therefore, I could
have up to 7 20 meg ST225N drives hooked up and running off of my GS.  Of
course I don't think I'll even do this.  I'll only have 6, and the 7th device
will be the new Apple CD ROM.  :)  (Dream on... I know.)  That would certainly
be one impressive system. :)

    PLEASE let me knw what your comments are concerning what I cited here...
and if you know of any lower prices than the ones I listed.   I know A+ had a
hard disk evaluation a few months ago, but they did not consider options 2-4 at
all.   You may wish to look at this writeup however if you are considering
option 1.  I beleive it was in their Nov 87 issue or around then... but I'm not
sure.

    PERLIN Electronics                 Programs Plus  (A+ magazine)
    7394 Calle Real, Suite E           75 Research Drive
    Goleta, California  93117          Stratford, Conn.  06497

      1-800-223-9443  (Orders only)      1-800-832-3201  (Orders only)

    CMS Enhancement, Inc.              Quality Computers (A+ magazine)
    1372 Valencia Ave.                 15102 Charlevoix
    Tustin, California  92680          Grosse Pointe, MI  48230

      (714) 259-9555                     1-800-443=6697  (Orders only)

    SeaGate Technology                 Hamilton Avnet
    920 Disc Drive                       (National distributor for Seagate)
    Scotts Valley, CA  95066
                                         1-800-521-3387
      1-800-468-DISC

    JDR Microdevices
    110 Knowles Drive
    Los Gatos, California  95030

      1-800-538-5000

DISCLAMIER:  I am not an employee of any of the firms just mentioned and
             none of them know of the claims I have made in this document.
             All these opinions are entirely my own.  I deny any responsibility
             of any increase or decrease in sales of any of these companies
             I listed.  And my intent of this document is just to give a
             list of the prices and data that I have found to anybody that
             is interested.

NOTE: It has come to my attention that the CMS SCSI driver works fine with the
      ST225N and as far as cost wise, it is also $25 cheaper on the average
      then the Apple II SCSI card.  I am trying to get more information about
      this, but so far have been unable to reach the person who sent me this
      information originally.  If JeffJ at Pro-Avalon is reading this, could
      you send me a more complete address so that I can reach you via E-mail.

  <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

jetzer@studsys.mu.edu (jetzer) (04/13/88)

In article <8804120248.aa03770@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA>, JCKASPER@MTUS5.BITNET writes:

> becuase of the possiblity of expandability.  The Apple II SCSI card can
> recognize up to 7 devices in ProDOS 16 and 4 in ProDOS 8 so therefore, I could
> have up to 7 20 meg ST225N drives hooked up and running off of my GS.  Of
> course I don't think I'll even do this.  I'll only have 6, and the 7th device
> will be the new Apple CD ROM.  :)  (Dream on... I know.)  That would certainly
> be one impressive system. :)

Hmmm... I thought that the SCSI protocol could handle 7 devices, one of which
is the host computer.  That would limit you to 5 HDs, plus the CD ROM.

Of course, I may be wrong and it is actually that SCSI can handle 8 devices,
one of which is the host computer.

Anyone know for sure?

--
Mike Jetzer
"If you can't be right, be forceful"

JCKASPER@MTUS5.BITNET (04/25/88)

Date:         Mon, 25 Apr 88 01:44:25 EST
From:         "John C. Kasperski   (Otherwise known as 'Jc')" <JCKASPER@MTUS5>
Subject:      Hard disks revisited - OPTION 5!!!
To:           Info-Apple@brl.arpa

>                              And also whoever posted the the message about
>the Segate st-225 drive thing how do you connect it? and how much does all of
>parts cost for it.
>
>        Thanks,
>         Steve S. Glantz
>         S4g@psueclb

Well, I was the one who posted that "thing" and I do agree I ought to expand on
it a little.

First though, all of those of you out there that have asked for the hard disk
summary I mentioned that I had written up, I posted it to this discussion list
some time ago (referred to in above comment).  If you did not get this posting
let me know and I'll mail you a copy directly.

In that summary I listed 4 different ways to go about hooking up a hard disk to
an Apple.  What I was trying to do was compare the general prices of the
different possibilities.  In that summary, I also mentioned that I was thinking
about chosing option 4... well... I decided not to go this route, but I will go
into detail explaining what you would need if you were considering option 4.

Option 4. UPDATE: First of all, I found out that the CMS SCSI card WILL work
with this setup as well as Apple's card and in fact, it will work even better
because it comes with software (I believe), it WILL allow partitioning, and you
can get it for only $95 dollars (Quality Computer's ad in A+).   BUT...  how do
you go about hooking the ST225N up once you get it.  First of all, you must
remember that if you get a ST225N from Hamilton Avnet like I was thinking
that's all you are going to get... a ST225N.  There is no case, no cables, no
power supply... nothing but the drive.  You can purchase a case and power
supply combo from JDR Microdevices for about $50, BUT that still leaves you
with the problem about cables.  The CMS SCSI card may come with cable but it
will not be the type you want.  The CMS cars has a DB-25 pin on the back of it,
but the ST225N has a BR-50.  Now, this is no real major problem because Apple
has a SCSI System cable that WILL do this conversion.  The cable number, in
case you are interested, is M2556 or at least that's what is printed on all of
the SCSI phamplets I picked up at the local Apple dealer.  After trying to look
up the price of this cable I found that it had been renamed to M0206.  BTW: the
price of the M0206 was $50.  Now once you spent approx. $530 on all this,
remember you still got to put it all this together and hope it works, how do
you go about daisy chaining a second SCSI device.  Well, the CMS card I guess
has the ability to daisy chain two devices off of it, 2 DB-25 ports.  This will
be the easiest way, but you are going to have to spend another $50 on the Apple
cable.  The drive I believe, can be put in the same case as the first drive.
The only other way to daisy chain an additional SCSI device is to attach a
Y-cable to the end of Apple's SCSI cable.  A Y-BR-50 cable with a female end
for Apple's SCSI cable and 2 male ends for the drives.  I could not find such a
cable and I don't even know if this set up will work.  It *should* work, but I
was about to fool around and try it out.

Someone mentioned something about Shugart drives?  What are these?  Perhaps
they could be another possibility.  Could someone explain exactly what these
drives are and any place that sells them?  I will post any additional
information I can find... once I find out what I'm looking for.  :)

Now that I've given up on option 4, what am I going to do about getting a hard
disk?   Well... I going to choose *OPTION 5*.

Option 5.  Buy a CMS SCSI card and hook up a low priced Mac SCSI hard drive.

The CMS card, like I mentioned earlier sells for only $95 mail order from
Quality Computers (Ad in A+)... it can probably be gotten for less other places
though.  As far as what drive am I going to get...  well Hamilton Avnet sells a
nice, LOW PRICED, hard disk system called the "Apple Crate".  The Apple Crate
is a ST225N (or ST251N or ST277N) in a case, with it's own power supply, fan,
and SCSI input and output ports (solves problem with dasiy chaining).  These
ports are also DB-25 so that all you need is a the standard cable that comes
with the drive to hook it up to the CMS SCSI card, NO SPECIAL CABLING NEEDED!
This drive is supposed to be used with the Mac's, but since it is a SCSI
drive it *should* run fine on the Apple ]['s with a SCSI card.  (The reason I
say *should* is that I have not actually used one yet.. but I do plan on
getting one in the near future.)   Speaking of purchasing, Hamilton Avnet will
not sell these drive to the end users (you and me), they will only sell them to
distributors.  Now, as the price... that will depend on what the distributor
you go to decides to sell the drive to you for.  I have no idea what price they
are going to sell the drives for, but I think I'm going to be dissappointed in
it.  While talking to the regional director of my area at Hamilton Avnet, she
leaked out the price that they sell the drives to distributors, actually she
was going to sell one to me at that price till she found out that I wasn't a
distributor.  Anyway... I won't reveal what this price was... but I will say
that it was under $450.  :)

If you are interested in this... your best bet would be to call Hamiton Avnet
and get the name of their nearest distributor to you.  By the way, let me know
what final price you get on these drives... I'm curious how much the mark up
is.  My net-address is listed at the bottom of this posting.

Well, I hope this helps clarify the misconception I arose about the ST225N as
being an easy answer to all your problems about hard drives.  If I wasn't set
on the SCSI aspect of this whole thing, I would probably turn to option 2 or 3
with the MegaBoard.  This is an option that's always open... of course getting
an Apple 20 meg HD-SC is always an option too.  :)   BTW: Does anybody know of
any other cheap Mac SCSI hard drives?  They could probably be used in place of
the Apple Crate.  Let me know what your comments are...

  /////////////////////////////////////
  |  John C. Kasperski, "Jc"                     Bitnet: JCKASPER @ MTUS5  |
  |                Michigan Technological University                       |
  |  Disclaimer: Yes, I know I end a lot of my sentences with '...'        |
  |              It's my own personal trademark... Copyrighted 1988.       |
  /////////////////////////////////////

HEINEKEN@MTUS5.BITNET (05/03/88)

Date: 2 May 1988, 18:57:16 EST
From: Steve King                                              HEINEKEN at MTUS5
To:   INFO-APPLE at BRL.ARPA

I'm having a spot o' trouble with Talk Is Cheap.  Seems it's dropping
characters.  Here's my setup:

Apple //e (unenhanced)
Apricorn Super Serial Imager (SSC clone, down to the DIP switches)
Prometheus ProModem 2400G

Yes, I *DO* have interrupts turned on (turning them off gets me NO CHARACTERS
at all), and other interrupt-driven term programs (like Dick Atlee's
KERMIT-A2, v2.98) work just fine.

I've played with the DCD controls on the SSI and on the modem; no change
whatsoever in the situation.  I even played with DTR, just on the off
chance that might do something useful.  No dice.

Anyone with a similar problem?  Any solutions?  Is Don Elton reading this,
by any chance?  Don:  It's a nice program and I'm tempted to send you money.
But not if I can't fix this problem!

                                                --Steve King
                                                  HEINEKEN @ MTUS5.bitnet

erict@pnet01.cts.COM (Eric Taneda) (05/03/88)

Unenhanced //e's turn off interrupts while scrolling.  Running at 2400, you
will inevidably lose characters.  Try getting it enhanced (it's not *that*
expensive)...  Or if the other side can send nulls after the carriage returns,
it may help (by not sending REAL data until the //e's interrupts are enabled
again.

UUCP: {cbosgd hplabs!hp-sdd sdcsvax nosc}!crash!pnet01!erict
ARPA: crash!pnet01!erict@nosc.mil
INET: erict@pnet01.cts.com

HEINEKEN@MTUS5.BITNET (05/03/88)

Date: 3 May 1988, 09:25:06 EST
From: Steve King                                              HEINEKEN at MTUS5
To:   INFO-APPLE at BRL.ARPA

>Unenhanced //e's turn off interrupts while scrolling.  Running at 2400, you
>will inevidably lose characters.  Try getting it enhanced (it's not *that*
>expensive)...  Or if the other side can send nulls after the carriage returns,
>it may help (by not sending REAL data until the //e's interrupts are enabled
>again.

I don't think this is my problem.  I'm losing characters in the MIDDLE of
lines, not at the beginning.  And, come to think of it, I'm only losing
characters on certain systems.  I'm running at 2400 baud now and I'm not
losing anything.  If I call a local BBS at 1200 I'll lose some characters.
But only unimportant ones, like in message headers.  I never lose parts of
the actual messages.  I'll have to think on this some more; it's obviously a
lot more complicated a problem than I thought!  Maybe terminal emulation
problems...

                                                     --Steve King
                                                       HEINEKEN @ MTUS5.bitnet

HEINEKEN@MTUS5.BITNET (05/08/88)

Date: 7 May 1988, 12:59:46 EST
From: Steve King                                              HEINEKEN at MTUS5
To:   INFO-APPLE at BRL.ARPA

I'm having no problems getting files from LISTSERV @ BROWNVM.  Then again,
I'm also on Bitnet.  I'd guess you might have a gateway problem.

A couple weeks back there was some talk of cross-posting the APPLE2-L
files to an ARPAnet newsgroup.  If that's happened, is it possible that
ARPA users have been locked out from using the Bitnet fileserver at
BROWNVM on the assumption that they should get the stuff off of their own
network?

                                              --Steve King
                                                HEINEKEN @ MTUS5.bitnet

JCKASPER@MTUS5.BITNET (06/01/88)

======================================================================== 10
Date:         Tue, 31 May 88 23:09:26 EST
From:         "John C. Kasperski   (Otherwise known as 'Jc')" <JCKASPER@MTUS5>
Subject:      Test
To:           Info-Apple@brl.arpa

This is a test!  Please disgard.  Thank you for your support.  :)

Jc

 John C. Kasperski   Info-Apple@brl.arpa  5/31/88 Test

HEINEKEN@MTUS5.BITNET (06/01/88)

Date: 1 June 88, 11:07:59 EST
From: Steve King                                     HEINEKEN at MTUS5
To:   INFO-APPLE at BRL.ARPA

Speaking of the no-slot clock, is this messed up in any way by the addidtion
of an accelerator board or the Zip Chip?  Does it generate its timing
internally (as would be sensible) or does it just count pulses of the system
clock (in which case an accelerator might make it run fast...)

                                              --Steve King
                                                HEINEKEN @ MTUS5

HEINEKEN@MTUS5.BITNET (06/02/88)

Date: 1 June 88, 16:51:15 EST
From: Steve King                                     HEINEKEN at MTUS5
To:   INFO-APPLE at BRL.ARPA

David Whitney -- Sure, I'd like to see your current version of Z-Link.  You
can upload what you've got now and then send major updates as they come along.

As for money, well, I for one won't send you any unless the program surpasses
what I'm currently using (AE Pro and a semi-private version of Kermit).
For example, I haven't sent anything towards the author of Talk Is Cheap
(Don Elton?) because I just don't (actually, can't; wrong ROMs) use the
program.  Probably some of the 99 GEnie subsribers feel the same way about
Z-Link.

                                                    --Steve King
                                                      HEINEKEN @ MTUS5

SCP@cup.portal.com.UUCP (06/04/88)

The No-Slot clock runs on its own clock, and is unaffected by any accelerators.
I currently use it on a Laser 128EX and it works fine at all 3 speeds.

kamath@reed.UUCP (06/05/88)

In article <8806011115.aa08363@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> HEINEKEN@MTUS5.BITNET writes:
>From: Steve King                                     HEINEKEN at MTUS5
>
>Speaking of the no-slot clock, is this messed up in any way by the addidtion
>of an accelerator board or the Zip Chip?  Does it generate its timing
>internally (as would be sensible) or does it just count pulses of the system
>clock (in which case an accelerator might make it run fast...)
>
>                                              --Steve King
>                                                HEINEKEN @ MTUS5

The clock does indeed have it's own oscillator.  All that need be done is
access the data lines with the correct timing and sequence. Since the CPU
thinks it's a ROM (With usually 450 ns access time), this isn't a problem.
I still haven't figured out why it didn't work with my other //e and 65802.

Note that if it *ddid* run off the system clock, it would not make any
difference, as accelerator cards and the chips do their own timing, not muck
with the system clock (which would be a *REALLY* stupid thing to do.).

Sean Kamath

--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs ihnp4}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET: reed!kamath@PSUVAX1.BITNET

HEINEKEN@MTUS5.BITNET (06/07/88)

Date: 7 June 88, 09:43:45 EST
From: Steve King                                     HEINEKEN at MTUS5
To:   INFO-APPLE at BRL.ARPA

Todd South -- Hey, ease up, guy!  Phil Goetz's article looked, to me anyway,
like a HUMOR piece!  Smile!  It's amusing!

BTW, REAL nice flame gun...  :-)

                                                --Steve King
                                                  HEINEKEN @ MTUS5.bitnet

HEINEKEN@MTUS5.BITNET (06/18/88)

Date: 18 June 88, 10:58:18 EST
From: Steve King                                     HEINEKEN at MTUS5
To:   INFO-APPLE at BRL.ARPA

> Anyone have the codes the arrow keys on a //e put out?  I want to try
> to simulate them on my ii+
> Thomas C. Murphy

Sure, here they are, along with some other keys that may be of interest.
All numbers are in decimal.

Left arrow (BS)            08       ^H
Right arrow                21       ^U
Down arrow (LF)            10       ^J
Up arrow                   11       ^K
ESC                        27       ^[, ^{
                           28       ^backslash, ^|
                           29       ^], ^}
                           30       ^6, ^^  (control-caret)
                           31       ^-, ^_

The open-apple and closed-apple keys don't generate ASCII codes.  Instead,
they're wired to the game paddle buttons.  Paddle(0) is open-apple,
Paddle(1) is closed-apple.  (I could have these reversed...)

                                                 --Steve King
                                                   HEINEKEN @ MTUS5.bitnet

jason@lakesys.UUCP (Jason) (06/20/88)

In article <8806181111.aa25040@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA>, HEINEKEN@MTUS5.BITNET writes:

> The open-apple and closed-apple keys don't generate ASCII codes.  Instead,
> they're wired to the game paddle buttons.  Paddle(0) is open-apple,
> Paddle(1) is closed-apple.  (I could have these reversed...)
>
>                                                  --Steve King
>                                                    HEINEKEN @ MTUS5.bitnet

	Open-Apple is button #0 and Option (or Closed-Apple) is button #1.
It does, however, seem slightly misleading that you said Paddle(0), which
could be construed to mean pdl(0), yaknow? Btw, this is NOT meant as a flame,
just a minor point...

	Jason
"Not your average iconoclast"

JCKASPER@MTUS5.BITNET (06/20/88)

Date: 19 June 88, 23:44:39 EST
From: John C. Kasperski   (Otherwise known as 'Jc')  JCKASPER at MTUS5
To:   INFO-APPLE at BRL.ARPA

I have a real simple question here.... What devices can be hooked up in a
SCSI chain?  I know SCSI-type hard disks (CMS, Apples, AppleCrate), and
the Apple CD Rom, and another Apple with another SCSI card or a Mac with its
SCSI port, but can anything else be used?

  <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

HEINEKEN@MTUS5.BITNET (06/21/88)

Date: 20 June 88, 17:51:04 EST
From: Steve King                                     HEINEKEN at MTUS5
To:   INFO-APPLE at BRL.ARPA

> I learned about that particular original //e ROM bug reading Don Elton's
> comments on this list.  Since TIC supports only Super Serial Card (or close
> clone) or IIgs internal port, I assume the ROM doesn't do the scrolling
> and TIC doesn't lose characters on the unenhanced //e, but I've not
> tested that.
> (Murphy A. Sewall)

Nope, TIC _does_ use the firmware scrolling, and loses characters in the
process unless you have the enhanced ROMs.  I just got mine enhanced about
a week ago.  Before, TIC lost characters, after it didn't.  I'll accept that
as proof...  :-)

I won't even bother to flame Apple for FORCING this upgrade (a simple matter
of swapping 3 ROMs and the CPU, then sticking a little "Enhanced" sticker over
the power light) to be dealer installed.  I'm not saying that they shouldn't
be flamed for it, just that it's not worth my time.

                                                   --Steve King
                                                     HEINEKEN @ MTUS5.bitnet

SWGRAHAM@MTUS5.BITNET (06/24/88)

Date: 23 June 88, 22:25:15 EST
From: SWGRAHAM at MTUS5
To:   INFO-APPLE at BRL.ARPA

>   AMACS sells for $75, but it's worth about $279.  It is a VERY
>   accurate implementation of EMACS/Jove/GNU/whatever.

 I thought Stallman was very adamant about EMACS being in the public
 domain. If someone does an implementation of it, shouldn't the
 the implementation be public domain also?

                                  --Sid Graham
                                  swgraham@mtus5.bitnet

blume@netmbx.UUCP (Heiko Blume) (06/24/88)

certainly tape drives with scsi exist, i also read about plotters and printers.
but i think anything can be conected (i.e. other computers or whatever),
because its a sort of bus rather than a specialized interface.
--
Heiko Blume                    # DOMAIN: blume@netmbx.UUCP { BITNET: ( mixed }
Seekorso 29                    # BANG  : ..!{backbone}!netmbx!blume

HEINEKEN@MTUS5.BITNET (06/25/88)

Date: 24 June 88, 12:14:51 EST
From: Steve King                                     HEINEKEN at MTUS5
To:   INFO-APPLE at BRL.ARPA

>                                                           Does
> anyone know of a utility for DOS 3.3 that will let you work at the
> byte level on an apple diskette and fiddle with the binary data in
> the file?
> Leigh Calnek

Try The Disk Doctor, from Penguin Software.  This is a very easy-to-use
disk recovery program for DOS 3.3.  I'm not sure if it will help in this
case, but it might.  There are also innumerable sector editors out for DOS
3.3, some of them even public domain.  A local users group can probably
set you up with one of these.

                                              --Steve King
                                                HEINEKEN @ MTUS5.bitnet

HEINEKEN@MTUS5.BITNET (07/08/88)

Date: 7 July 88, 16:29:59 EST
From: Steve King                                     HEINEKEN at MTUS5
To:   INFO-APPLE at BRL.ARPA

Okay, I give up.  I'd like to write a BBS program in BASIC (yes, BASIC.  I
haven't the money for a better language...) with some assembly language
routines, but I'm getting stuck on the modem I/O.  Actually, I'm getting
stuck even before that.  I can't seem to get my serial card's firmware to
function with my modem!  I mean, even the simple "Type this in and it
works" demos from the manual aren't working.  Here's my setup:

Enhanced Apple //e
Prometheus ProModem 2400G (Hayes compatible)
Apricorn's Super Serial Imager serial card in slot 2.

The SSI is supposed to be compatible with the Apple's SSC down to the DIP
switches.  There's an additional SSI switch that controls SSC emulation;
I've made sure that's in SSC emulation mode.  (The other setting allows for
fancy graphics commands which I don't need for the modem.)  I have yet to find
a terminal program that doesn't work with this configuration.  2 flavors of
Kermit, ASCII Express, TIC, and Zlink all work fine.

I figured I'd use the SSC commands (they're the same on the SSI) to control
the card for I/O.  (I'd rather control it by twiddling bits in registers, but
I don't have anything to tell me which bits do what!)  Okay, fine.  Test run.
Get to the BASIC prompt, and (I'm putting my keystrokes in <brackets>):

]<IN#2>
]<^a>
APRICORN SSI:<Tcr>                <== The cr shows carriage return

This is supposed to throw me into terminal mode.  I get a cute little
underscore cursor on the screen.  Fine.  I type something.  Anything.
The cursor goes bye-bye.  The transmit and receive (TD and RD) lights on
the modem show that nothing is getting to it.  Normally, these lights are
active when I'm typing Hayes commands to the modem, or when I'm just feeding
it garbage.

So I try a short BASIC program to see if it works from there.  Heck, all
of the examples in the book are from BASIC, so why shouldn't it work?

10 PRINT CHR$(4);"IN#2"
20 PRINT CHR$(1);"T"
30 PRINT "Hello"

Nothing.  It hangs.  No blinky lights.  Hit RESET to continue.  I've tried
using other commands listed (including ^A3S to chain the 80-col in for I/O),
but terminal mode always hangs the system.

Since other programs work just fine, I assume that I'm not doing some crucial
initialization of the card.  But what do I need to do?  Oh, dear Apple, why
don't you include technical docs with your products?  (I've got the 1985
printing of the Super Serial Card User's Manual here.  I can't find anything
less recent.)  The Apricorn docs aren't much better.  Any ideas?  This is
the first time I've delved into the murky world of Apple telecommunications
and I've got a feeling that it shouldn't be this frustrating...

                                                --Steve King
                                                  HEINEKEN @ MTUS5.bitnet

dbs@mtunj.ATT.COM (d.b.schonfeld) (07/08/88)

In article <8807071709.aa09272@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> HEINEKEN@MTUS5.BITNET writes:
>Get to the BASIC prompt, and (I'm putting my keystrokes in <brackets>):
>
>]<IN#2>
>]<^a>
>APRICORN SSI:<Tcr>                <== The cr shows carriage return
>
>This is supposed to throw me into terminal mode.  I get a cute little
>underscore cursor on the screen.  Fine.  I type something.  Anything.
>The cursor goes bye-bye.  The transmit and receive (TD and RD) lights on
>the modem show that nothing is getting to it.  Normally, these lights are
>active when I'm typing Hayes commands to the modem, or when I'm just feeding
>it garbage.

A common cause of this problem is how the dcd lead is handled. Pin 8
on the RS 232 is either ignored or followed by the SSC card. Assuming
this is the same for your serial card, there should be a dip switch which
controls whether or not carrier detect is enabled. You should try setting
the switch to "IGNORE" or "DCD detect disabled". See if this works. You
might also want to see if the terminal ready lead (I believe it is  pin
6 offhand) is ignored.

>So I try a short BASIC program to see if it works from there.  Heck, all
>of the examples in the book are from BASIC, so why shouldn't it work?
>
>10 PRINT CHR$(4);"IN#2"
>20 PRINT CHR$(1);"T"
>30 PRINT "Hello"
>
>Nothing.  It hangs.  No blinky lights.  Hit RESET to continue.  I've tried
>using other commands listed (including ^A3S to chain the 80-col in for I/O),
>but terminal mode always hangs the system.

As far as I know, once you send the card into terminal mode, it is running
a program (read/write loop) separate of basic. Try taking out line #20 in
the above program. You might want to put in a "PR#2" too, otherwise it
will definitely hang on line 30.

Hope this helps!

Dan Schonfeld
dbs@cord.att.com, dbs@cord.uucp, ihnp4!cord!dbs

"Why are there so many songs about rainbows?" -- Kermit

SWGRAHAM@MTUS5.BITNET (07/15/88)

Date: 14 July 88, 16:23:57 EST
From: SWGRAHAM at MTUS5
To:   INFO-APPLE at BRL.ARPA

>All right, folks.  I have ALL of the triforce fragments, and have found the
>baddy Gannon in the last labyrinth of the Legend of Zelda.
>How do I kill the sucker?  He just keeps zapping me and disappearing!
>What do I need to use to annihilate the guy?
>mantis (Mike Elness)

  Make sure you have the bow and the silver arrow.
  Run around the room, avoiding fireballs and slashing at
  where you think Gannon is. When (and if) he becomes visible,
  shoot the silver arrow at him. Keep this up until he dies.

       --- Matt Graham
           c/o swgraham@mtus5.bitnet

SWGRAHAM@MTUS5.BITNET (07/26/88)

Date: 25 July 88, 15:46:35 EST
From: SWGRAHAM at MTUS5
To:   INFO-APPLE at BRL.ARPA

 I've got a Macintosh in my office that I'm baby sitting
for a few months. I'd like to get some public domain or
shareware programs for it. In particular, does anyone know
where I can

    1. get a DEARCing utility for the Mac?

    2. get a program to display GIF files on the Mac?

More generally, is there an analog of APPLE2-L for the Mac
that is available on Bitnet?

Thanks in advance,

Sid Graham
swgraham@mtus5

HEINEKEN@MTUS5.BITNET (07/27/88)

Date: 27 July 88, 08:40:55 EST
From: Steve King                                     HEINEKEN at MTUS5
To:   INFO-APPLE at BRL.ARPA

>The article even went on to envision Apple supporting two, high-end pc lines
>utilizing two distinct technologies; a RISC environment supporting UNIX on the
>Mac, and parallel processing on the //. Why not? The potential is there!

The header was mucked, so I can't give credit to the author of this line.
(Doesn't matter, he pulled it from an article, anyway... :-)

A RISC environment on the Mac?!  Um, last I looked the 68000 was *VERY MUCH*
CISC.  There are a LOT of complex instructions there.

                                                --Steve King
                                                  HEINEKEN @ MTUS5.bitnet

>>The article even went on to envision Apple supporting two, high-end pc lines
>>utilizing two distinct technologies; a RISC environment supporting UNIX on the
>>Mac, and parallel processing on the //. Why not? The potential is there!
>
>A RISC environment on the Mac?!  Um, last I looked the 68000 was *VERY MUCH*
>CISC.  There are a LOT of complex instructions there.
>
>                                                --Steve King
>                                                  HEINEKEN @ MTUS5.bitnet

Rumor has it that future Mac's will migrate to the Motorola 88000 family
which IS RISC (and, I suppose will have a 68000 emulation mode -- after all
at 17 MIPS, the 88000 has the power to run an entirely software based emulation
that would be as fast as today's Mac II).

Even simpler would be to add an 88000 coprocessor (after all why IS the
Mac II designed with a multi-channel bus?  The appropriate use of Nubus
really makes coprocessors equals so a Mac based on an 88000 with a 68000
"coprocessor" board would be nearly indistinguishable from a Mac built around
a 68000 with an 88000 "coprocessor" board.

Murph Sewall     Sewall@UCONNVM.BITNET
Business School  sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut {rutgers psuvax1 ucbvax & in Europe - mcvax}
                 !UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL                        [UUCP]

-+- My employer isn't responsible for my mistakes AND vice-versa!

"It might help if we ran the MBA's out of Washington." - Adm Grace Hopper

jm7e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Jeremy G. Mereness") (07/30/88)

>Date: 27 July 88, 08:40:55 EST
>From: Steve King                                     HEINEKEN at MTUS5
>To:   INFO-APPLE at BRL.ARPA

>>The article even went on to envision Apple supporting two, high-end pc lines
>>utilizing two distinct technologies; a RISC environment supporting UNIX on the
>.>Mac, and parallel processing on the //. Why not? The potential is there!

>The header was mucked, so I can't give credit to the author of this line.
>(Doesn't matter, he pulled it from an article, anyway... :-)

>A RISC environment on the Mac?!  Um, last I looked the 68000 was *VERY MUCH*
>CISC.  There are a LOT of complex instructions there.
>
>                                                --Steve King
>                                                  HEINEKEN @ MTUS5.bitnet

Sorry about the mucked header; my host software bombed and I wan't sure whether
anything made it to the net at all. I reposted it, but it didn't arrive until
today.

I thought calling the 68000 a RISC machine was kind of funny, too. But I got my
information from the Gasee interview in Open-Apple, and that is what Weishaar
called the 68000. Maybe there's something I'm missing here....

Capt. Albatross
jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu

============
Looking forward to a GS+...
disclaimer: These opinions are mine and will remain so until more intelligent
or insightful or informed people are kind enough to show me the error of my
ways
because in the barbecue of life, a mind is a terrible thing to baste.

SWGRAHAM@MTUS5.BITNET (07/31/88)

Date: 30 July 88, 19:33:31 EST
From: SWGRAHAM at MTUS5
To:   INFO-APPLE at BRL.ARPA

 >Is there a way to unarc text or binary files originally prepared on an ibm
 >system on an apple IIe system?

Use the program Dearc, which is available on Apple 2-L as

Apple2-L 88-00645   991 88/05/16   DE-ARC.2E v1.0

>------------  pro-sat  ------------  satellite television bbs  -----------
>UUCP: [ hplabs!hp-sdd sdcsvax nosc ] !crash!pro-sat!wen
>ARPA: crash!pro-sat!wen@nosc.mil           Voice Phone (619)697-7540
>INET: wen@pro-sat.CTS.COM     USMail:2537 Honey Springs Rd, Jamul, CA 92035

Sid Graham
swgraham@mtus5.bitnet

In article <8807290919.aa20744@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (Murph Sewall) writes:
>at 17 MIPS, the 88000 has the power to run an entirely software based
>emulation that would be as fast as today's Mac II

Hm, I doubt that.  A RISC instruction accomplishes much less than a CISC
instruction, so it takes more of them than a 1-to-1 ratio.  However, such
an emulation might perform acceptably enough to be useful anyway.

SWGRAHAM@MTUS5.BITNET (08/02/88)

Date: 1 August 88, 12:26:53 EST
From: SWGRAHAM at MTUS5
To:   INFO-APPLE at BRL.ARPA

<lakesys!jason@CSD1.MILW.WISC.EDU> (Jason) writes:

>> In article <1172@cod.NOSC.MIL>, rupp@cod.NOSC.MIL (William L. rupp) writes:
>>
>> of much more powerful applications than the 64 K of the Apple II.  And,
>> as much as I joke about MS-DOG, I mean DOS, it is far superior to DOS
>> 3.3 or ProDOS.  Come on, ProDOS doesn't even have a 'type' or 'more'
>> command the last time I looked.

>    Uh, ProDOS doesn't have ANY "commands." BASIC.SYSTEM's simple CLI
>has some commands, not including 'type' or 'more'. However, because of it's
>expandability, people have written type (haven't seen a more, tho') for it.
>Aside from that, there are other command shells which have 'type' built-in (I
>should probably write 'more' just to be spiteful :), amongst other things.

The file

APPLE 2-L 87-00265  Handy ProDOS commands Run under BASIC.SYSTEM

contains both a "more" and "type", and it also contains a "copy" command.

Sid Graham
swgraham@mtus5.bitnet

>More generally, is there an analog of APPLE2-L for the Mac
>that is available on Bitnet?

MACSERVE@PUCC    (Princeton, NJ)
MACSERVE@IRLEARN (Dublin, Ireland)

"MACSERVE is a Macintosh software repository, containing many utilities,
 games, notes, and graphic items of interest for Macintosh users."

NOTE: Unlike LISTSERV, MACSERVE has an 'E' on the end.

Send the MACSERVE on your side of the "pond" the command DIR for a list
of files.

You may also be interested in INFO-MAC which is on the LISTSERVs at
BNANDP11, CANADA01, CEARN, DEARN, EBOUB011, HEARN, ICNUCEVM, IRLEARN,
POLYGRAF, RICE, and UCIUCVMD.  on the LISTSERV@FINHUTC it's known as
MAC-L.

MAC-USER on LISTSERV@IRLEARN appears to be another Mac list specifically
for EARN subscribers, and M-USENET on the LISTSERVs at RICE and CEARN
redistribute digests of the USENET Mac Digest.

HEINEKEN@MTUS5.BITNET (08/03/88)

Date: 2 August 88, 13:34:44 EST
From: Steve King                                     HEINEKEN at MTUS5
To:   INFO-APPLE at BRL.ARPA

>I'll be uploading them to comp.sys.apple in a month or so. We are right now
>updating all of them (some of them date back to 1983 and are hopelessly
>obsolete!) and turning them into uploadable text. In the meantime, if anyone
>Keith Rollin                                               amdahl\
>Developer Technical Support                           pyramid!sun !apple!keith
>Apple Computer                                             decwrl/

I'm not quite straight on how everything gets cross-posted around here.
Will these find their way to Bitnet?  If they're not automatically cross-
posted, would some kind soul please post them over here, too?

                                              --Steve King
                                                HEINEKEN @ MTUS5.bitnet

abc@BRL.MIL (Brint Cooper) (08/03/88)

If everything works as expected, material posted to comp.sys.apple is
'gatewayed' to info-apple@brl.mil.  The Bitnet listserver is a
'subscriber' to info-apple, so all the Bitnet subscribers should see
whatever is posted to the Usenet group comp.sys.apple.

I suggest that we avoid duplicate postings until we determine that
something didn't get through.

-Brint
<aka info-apple-request@brl.mil>

SWGRAHAM@MTUS5.BITNET (08/04/88)

Date: 3 August 88, 14:19:37 EST
From: SWGRAHAM at MTUS5
To:   INFO-APPLE at BRL.MIL

RE: Several Miscellanous Topics

>MACSERVE@PUCC    (Princeton, NJ)
>MACSERVE@IRLEARN (Dublin, Ireland)

>"MACSERVE is a Macintosh software repository, containing many utilities,
> games, notes, and graphic items of interest for Macintosh users."

>NOTE: Unlike LISTSERV, MACSERVE has an 'E' on the end.
>Murph Sewall     Sewall@UCONNVM.BITNET

Thanks for the help, Murph. Thanks also to Doug Heacock, who responded
at length to my request. I have now have quit a bit of info about Macserve
that I am willing to share with anyone on request.

---------

>I have been using IIGIF on my //C with surprisingly nice results. What other
>machines will the graphic files work on and what programs are required to use
>them. I just got a MAC+ on extended load from the local dealer and
>was wondering if there was a way to transport graphics between it and my //C.
>Bob Church CS656@OUACCVMB

 The above mentioned Macserve has a program called Giffer, which
 converts GIF files; unfortunately, it works only on a Mac II.
 There is a freeware  program called MacDown which will display
 MacPaint pictures on an  Apple II+,IIe,IIc, or IIgs.
 Does anyone know of a way to display Apple II pictures on a Mac?

-------------------------
The "Input Anything " topic has been beaten to death, so I'll keep
this brief. Those of you vitally interested in this topic can find
a long discussion in the Sept. and Oct. 1985 issues of Open-Apple.

Sid Graham
swgraham@mtus5

HEINEKEN@MTUS5.BITNET (08/08/88)

Date: 8 August 88, 08:38:50 EST
From: Steve King                                     HEINEKEN at MTUS5
To:   INFO-APPLE at BRL.MIL

> However, ATP has this annoying little problem of requiring the
> solid-apple key to be depressed for the arrows to work properly in
> emulation mode.  I have tried to compensate for this problem by
> defining macros for the arrow keys.  (ie. ^[[A, ^[[B, etc.)
> This scheme /seems/ to work without any problems on my VMS account,
> but it gives me problems in Unix.  For example, when I run
> Visual News and depress the arrow key, it gives me two erros
> that say undefined key.  Why should this be?  Of course, this problem
> is easily corrected by depressing the closed-apple key, but that is
> very annoying and requires who hands to do it.  Are there any
> problems that might arise from defining the ansi sequences as macros,
> or is there anyting special that unix requires to work with vt100
> emulators?
> Gregory A. Tucker

Using macros for cursor keys shouldn't be an intrinsic problem.  Whenever
you depress a key, ATP grabs it, checks its macro table to see if you've got
a macro set up for that key, and initiates the proper series of keystrokes
(meaning, it either sends your macro or just passes on the key you pressed.)
This is all it does with the CA-Arrow combinations to give cursor control
under VT100, unless I miss my guess.  You say that your macros work under
VMS, but not Unix.  ATP's predefined CA-Arrow combinations always work...
Hmmm...  I'd say you didn't define your macros *quite* right.  It looks like
your VMS machine is more forgiving than your Unix machine in the way it
handles keystrokes.  I don't know the VT100 cursor commands myself, but I'd
guess you need to alter your macros slightly to get the Unix machine to accept
them.  After all, the "built-in" CA-Arrow "macros" work fine...  Just find
out *EXACTLY* what codes they're sending and emulate them.

                                               --Steve King
                                                 HEINEKEN @ MTUS5.bitnet

JCKASPER@MTUS5.BITNET (08/09/88)

Date: 8 August 88, 22:55:41 EST
From: John C. Kasperski   (Otherwise known as "Jc")  JCKASPER at MTUS5
To:   INFO-APPLE at BRL.ARPA

Hello.

I'm looking for a S16 version of ProSEL.  Is there such a thing?   I hope
so.  I really like ProSEL, but it can't launch S16 files... well it can,
except when you quit out of the sys 16 program does not return to Prosel.  It
just ends with the "Reboot, Execute Start program, or Enter prefix" menu.

I tried using the launcher, but didn't care for it.   The finder is way too
slow.  Is there anyway to convert a SYS file to a S16 file?

Right now I have the system boot S16, then load in ProSEL.  And... if I want
to run any S16 files.. I first run the Launcher from ProSEL, so that the S16
program will have something to quit to.  Then have the Launcher run ProSEL and
ProSEL run the Sys 16 program.   There has to be an easier way than this?!?!?

What about a short Sys 16 file that all it did was start ProSEL?  Wouldn't that
work?  START would run this SYS16 file... that ran ProSEL.  ProSEL would
execute the S16 program and would Quit back to the little SYS16 file that
would rerun ProSEL again?  Does anybody else besides me follow this?
Does anybody know how to create a short 1 line SYS16 file that will do this?
I don't, YET!

The only thing that I'm not sure about with the above suggestions... is the
Quit codes... I think there will be an extra few floating around.
w3(~
){_bxDqt({_w3qw3d8t(

  <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

HEINEKEN@MTUS5.BITNET (08/10/88)

Date: 10 August 88, 08:37:59 EST
From: Steve King                                     HEINEKEN at MTUS5
To:   INFO-APPLE at BRL.MIL

Jim Elliott:  Before I start complaining about it, let me congratulate you
on writing one of the finest terminal emulators available for the Apple //!
Now, on to the complaint... :-)

I'm using VT52 emulation (I'd use VT100, but with highlighting showing up
as inverse it can be *ugly* [and no, I can't think of a better way to do it,
either!]) and I re-define the arrow keys to be cursor keys.  However, I still
need to send a line-feed character to my host.  (<RETURN> is treated like the
<SEND> key on IBM 3161 terminals, and <LF> is mapped to work like the 3161's
<RETURN>.  Don't you just love emulation? :-)  The CA-Arrow combos are too
awkward for me to consider using.  Is there some way I can define a macro
to send a straight <LF> *WITHOUT* checking the rest of the macro table to
see if <LF> has itself been re-defined?  Zlink lets me do this (which is
why I happen to be using Zlink at the moment...)

Thanks in advance for any help!

                                               --Steve King
                                                 HEINEKEN @ MTUS5.bitnet

HEINEKEN@MTUS5.BITNET (08/17/88)

Date: 17 August 88, 10:03:21 EST
From: Steve King                                     HEINEKEN at MTUS5
To:   INFO-APPLE at BRL.MIL

>My Apple IIe refuses to work properly.  When I turn it on the entire screen
>turns white, then changes to black and finally I get a message that says
>Kernel OK.
>It then locks up.  Resetting turns the speaker on and the sequence repeats.
>Kevin Meis

Boy, Kevin, are you in luck!  This looks like an easy one!

The Apple //e (and //c, and I assume the //gs) have a built in self-test
routine.  On the unenhanced //e the routine clears the hi-res screen to white,
then to black, repeats this, then says "Kernel OK" if everything is
hunky dory.  (The //c and the enhanced //e do the test by filling the lo-res
screen with garbage, messing around with it a bit, then displaying "System
OK".)  The self-test is invoked by holding down the solid-apple (SA) key
and resetting the computer.  Turning the power on is the equivalent of
resetting...

My guess is one of three things:
    1) Your SA key is stuck down.
    2) You've got a joystick or paddles connected, with one of the buttons
       stuck.  (SA is hard-wired to button(1) through an OR-gate.  They
       do exactly the same thing.)
    3) There's a short circuit somewhere in your machine making it seem like
       SA or button(1) is always pressed.  Since you've got some hardware
       experience, it shouldn't be too hard to track down the error.
       If you can't track down the problem easily, you might want to
       pick up Jim Sather's "Understanding the Apple IIe" (published by
       Quality Software, 1985) for such handy things as schematics and
       other details about the computer's innards.

                                             --Steve King
                                               HEINEKEN @ MTUS5.bitnet

HEINEKEN@MTUS5.BITNET (08/25/88)

Date: 24 August 88, 15:51:42 EST
From: Steve King                                     HEINEKEN at MTUS5
To:   INFO-APPLE at BRL.MIL

> what is  a good book, or book/disk combo for learning 6502 assembly?
> ---Mark Thacker

I've found that "Programming the Apple II in Assembly Language" by Rodnay
Zaks (Sybex, 1985) is an *excellent* Apple II assembly language guide.
It contains a LARGE reference section (at least one page per instruction),
concise descriptions of all the addressing modes, and includes the 65C02
instructions.  It also has more basic non-reference material, like basic
programming techniques and data structures.  Oh, yes, I/O and graphics
from assembler are covered as well.  I ran through the book (taking all the
self-tests and such) at the same time I was taking my first assembly
language classes here at Tech (8085 and Sperry 1100/80 at the same time,
and I just *had* to throw 6502 on top of it... :-) and I found Zaks' book
to be at least as good as my instructors on the basics.  The cost is
about $20 for a book the size of a mid-sized text book.

                                             --Steve King
                                               HEINEKEN @ MTUS5.bitnet

HEINEKEN@MTUS5.BITNET (09/03/88)

Date: 2 September 88, 18:47:12 EST
From: Steve King                                     HEINEKEN at MTUS5
To:   INFO-APPLE at BRL.MIL

I need some help writing a modem driver.  I've searched through the scant
Apple documentation on the Super Serial Card, but it wasn't much help.
I also live hundreds of miles from anywhere (I'm in Houghton, MI), so there's
no local help for me to turn to...

What I mainly need help with is initializing the SSC for I/O.  The big
questions are: what do I need to do and how do I go about doing it?  I've got
a feeling that once the card is properly initialized I/O shouldn't be too
much of a problem.  Correct me if I'm wrong!

I'm running an enhanced Apple //e, SSC clone (which purports to be 100%
compatible.  I believe it; I haven't had any problems with Zlink, TIC, ATP,
ASCII Express, or any other terminal software I've ever used), and
Prometheus 2400 modem.  For input I plan on writing an interrupt-driven
circular buffer.  For output, I'm planning on writing a routine to use
in place of COUT1.  The routine will go something like:

BASIC or assembly language call to COUT.
    COUT calls my output routine.
        My routine:
        Point CSW to slot 3 (80 column screen).
        Call COUT1 to print character.
        Point CSW to slot 2 (SSC).
        Call COUT1 again to send character through modem.
        Return.

This should let me use normal PRINT statements from BASIC, if I so desire.

Any help in doing the initialization would be extremely helpful!
for
Oh, BTW, a while back someone offered to send me a BASIC program which does
the initialization correctly.  Please send it, if the offer's still open!

Thanks!

                                                --Steve King
                                                  HEINEKEN @ MTUS5.bitnet

JCKASPER@MTUS5.BITNET (09/04/88)

Date: 3 September 88, 22:33:10 EST
From: John C. Kasperski   (Otherwise known as "Jc")  JCKASPER at MTUS5
To:   INFO-APPLE at BRL.ARPA

HELP!

I'm trying to hook up an Apple ][gs color RGB monitor (15 pin) to a
Toshiba 1100 RGB port (9 pin).  Have any suggestions???

I need to use the Toshiba 1100 in order to run the IBM package FTTERM.  I have
a PC Transporter, but FTTERM does not recognize the GS modem port while running
in IBM mode, so I'm stuck using the Toshiba for any file transfers to this
particular mainframe  (I tried porting CMS Kermit over to it, source code
and everything, but did not have any luck.)

Please mail any responses back to me.  There are still about 200+ posting that
I still haven't read yet.

  <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

HEINEKEN@MTUS5.BITNET (09/11/88)

Date: 10 September 88, 12:00:02 EST
From: Steve King                                     HEINEKEN at MTUS5
To:   INFO-APPLE at BRL.MIL

To Bob Dyas:

Forgive me posting to the list, but my mailer can't find you...

About the Apple stuff you've got for sale:
If the Aztec C compiler kicks out 6502 code, I'm EXCEEDINGLY interested!
I'm moderately interested in the CP/M setup.
Could you please send more info re: the circuit and logic sims?

                                             --Steve King
                                               HEINEKEN @ MTUS5.bitnet

                                               PO Box 195
                                               Houghton, MI 49931

HEINEKEN@MTUS5.BITNET (09/27/88)

Date: 26 September 88, 16:15:26 EST
From: Steve King                                     HEINEKEN at MTUS5
To:   INFO-APPLE at BRL.MIL

Yes, PLEASE send me the SSC driver source!  Also, would you please tell me
where you found the information in the first place?  I can't find *ANYTHING*
constructive here.  Heck, if I could even find a data sheet for the 6551 ACIA
the card uses I might be able to whip something together...

                                              --Steve King
                                                HEINEKEN @ MTUS5.bitnet

P.S.  Please forgive posting to the list.  Seems my mailer can't find
you...   Come to think of it, it's suddenly having trouble finding the
list.  This is the third time I've had to send this note!

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (10/03/88)

In article <8809301002.aa11515@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> HEINEKEN@MTUS5.BITNET writes:

>Yes, PLEASE send me the SSC driver source!  Also, would you please tell me
>where you found the information in the first place?  I can't find *ANYTHING*
>constructive here.  Heck, if I could even find a data sheet for the 6551 ACIA
>the card uses I might be able to whip something together...
>
>                                              --Steve King
>                                                HEINEKEN @ MTUS5.bitnet

You know, a really good place to get info like this is at used book stores,
particularly ones that specialize in technical books, such as Powell's
technical annex here in portland.  Alos, note that you can get data books
from manufacturers, sometimes free, or from parts stores when they get new
ones, they give you the old.  I have several shelves of old data books, most
in te 1983-1986 range, which for all but the very latest and greatest is
just fine.  Places like Jameco will sell you data sheets on just about any
chip they sell.

Finally, last ditch for some, first for fools like me, there's the code
itself.  I spent a few hours disassembling the SSC Rom once.  Very
educational.

Sean kamath

PS. Then again, there's always the net.  Send me e-mail (kamath@reed.bitnet)
if you want more.

--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs ihnp4}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET: kamath@reed.BITNET

HEINEKEN@MTUS5.BITNET (11/02/88)

Date: 1 November 88, 15:10:46 EST
From: Steve King                                     HEINEKEN at MTUS5
To:   INFO-APPLE at BRL.MIL

I'm still left behind in the dark ages with only an Apple //e, so I sure
wouldn't mind seeing the GS people get their own discussion.  But
someone had a good point that soon the GS may be, for all practical
purposes, the only Apple II.  Seriously, if it weren't for the GS traffic,
how busy do you think this list would be?  I tend to think that it would
die a slow death, leaving us ][, ][+, //e, and //c owners without any
sort of discussion group.

So, put my vote in for making a GS-specific group, but only if there will
be enough traffic here still to warrant both groups being cross-posted
between Bitnet and the Internet.

                                              --Steve King
                                                HEINEKEN @ MTUS5 (bitnet)

sklein@cdp.UUCP (11/07/88)

For what it's worth...

I'm a ][+ owner who enjoys reading about the IIGS.  I suspect that the
lack of messages posted by non-GS owners has mostly to do with the fact
that the GS has been outselling the //e and //c for quite some time now.

I doubt *any* ][, ][+, //e or //c owners have any reservations about posting
their questions/thoughts/ideas here.  I'm not intimidated by IIGS.

-Shabtai Klein
| Oh dear, where can the matter be? | UUCP:      uunet!pyramid!cdp!sklein   \
| When it's converted to energy     | Internet:  cdp!sklein@arisia.xerox.com |
| There is a slight loss of parity  | BitNet:    cdp!sklein%labrea@stanford  |
| Johnny's so long at the fair      | PhoneNet:  (301) 424-2029              |
 \__________________________________________________________________________/

SWGRAHAM@MTUS5.BITNET (11/10/88)

Date: 9 November 88, 13:19:13 EST
From: SWGRAHAM at MTUS5
To:   INFO-APPLE at BRL.MIL

 I tried posting this last week, but it was bounced back, presumably
 because of all the trouble that famous virus caused. Here's another
 attempt:

>As to 8 bit specific questions, here's one. I have a //C with an
>extra meg of memory. I use the PRODRIVE file included in the package to
>connect the /RAM drive. (it's a ZRAM). The problem is that PRODRIVE is a
>binary file and must have BASIC loaded
>to run. Does anyone know of a system file that will do this? It would have to
>support partitioning. I'd really like to see a DAVEX command for this, as I
>end up in DAVEX anyway.

>CS656%OUACCVMB.BITN

  It is not difficult to turn PRODRIVE into a system file. Here's how:

 CREATE PRODRIVE.SYSTEM,TSYS
 BLOAD PRODRIVE,A$2000
 Poke 8212,1
 BSAVE PRODRIVE.SYSTEM,A$2000,L1488

 Some comments:

 1. When this file is run, it installs /RAM, then issues the Prodos
    quit code. If you started from Davex, this will take you back
    to Davex.

 2. The purpose of the poke in the third line is to tell Prodrive that
     you want to issue the quit code upon exiting. Without this line,
     you'll probably get dumped in the monitor.

 3. You should double-check and make sure that I got the length of the file
    correct in the fourth line.

  Sid Graham
  Dept. of Mathematics
  Michigan Tech
  Houghton MI
  swgraham at mtus5.bitnet

SWGRAHAM@MTUS5.BITNET (11/14/88)

Date: 13 November 88, 22:54:53 EST
From: SWGRAHAM at MTUS5
To:   INFO-APPLE at BRL.MIL

>From:         Aashi Deacon <aash@G.MS.UKY.EDU>
>There IS interest here for technical "other apple" information.
>I have an apple //c and, for instance, would like to know of
>some good reference books (not the wimpy books that came with it).
>I would also like a good assembly language book, and
>some good information about C compilers.

>AND (haha, i want everthing no? :-)  how about some information
>on how to upgrade memory?  add a hard drive?  modem?  external
>keyboard?  will an extended keyboard (like for Mac II) work?

Reference Books:
 Here are four to start with:
  1. Apple IIc Technical Reference Manual ( published by Addison-Wesley,
     about $25)
  2. What's Where in the Apple by William F. Lubbert, published by
     Micro Ink. This is an oldie but a goodie. It was written back in
     1982, and it doesn't have any info on ProDos, but it does have a
     lot of stuff that is still useful. It's the only place that I've
     ever seen a list of all the entry points of Applesoft Basic.
  3. ProDos Inside and Out by Dennis Doms and Tom Weishaar. This
     contains a lot of info about BASIC as well as ProDos.
  4. Beneath Apple ProDos by Don Worth and Peter Lechner. Learn the arcane
     secrets of the MLI interface.

If you don't have a good bookstore handy, you can order most of these
from Open-Apple, P.O. Box 11250, Overland Park, KS 66207.

Memory:
  Try Applied Engineering or Checkmate. Applied Engineering makes Z-Ram
Ultra, which has been out for a few years and comes in 256K, 512K, and
1 Meg models. I bought a 512K model about two years ago. My only regret
is that I didn't put out the extra bucks for 1 Meg. I see from the latest
Nibble (Dec. 88) that AE has a new memory card for the IIc and IIc+ called
Ram Express.

Hard Drives:
  Chinook Technology sells a 20MB hard drive for the IIc at $750.
They have an ad on page 62 of the December Nibble.

Modem:
  Any modem that uses the RS232 interface should work. Try your local
dealer or a mail order place.

Assembly Language:
    I learned assembly language from a book entitled Apple Machine Language
for Beginners, published by Compute! Magazine. It comes with its own
type-in assembler. If you're more serious about assembly language than I
am, you'll probably want to buy a commercial assembler like Merlin Pro, and
one of the six books on 6502 Assembly Language listed in the Open-Apple
catalog.

Extended Keyboard:
   Not bloody likely.

If you have any further questions, just let me know.
Sid Graham                 Bitnet:swgraham@mtus5
Math Dept.                 Internet:swgraham@mtucs.edu
Michigan Tech              Houghton, MI 49931
"Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be
 prosecuted." -- Mark Twain

SWGRAHAM@MTUS5.BITNET (11/22/88)

Date: 21 November 88, 15:29:14 EST
From: SWGRAHAM at MTUS5
To:   INFO-APPLE at BRL.MIL

-

>I am using a //C with a Unidisk 3.5 drive. Does anyone know of a good block
>editor for this system? Copy//+ won't touch the Unidisk in Bitcopy or Sector
>edit mode. This seems strange, since it's easy enough to type in the code to
>access blocks. If I can't find something I'll write a program to do the job.
>Let me know if you'd like a copy.

   Try Diskworks by Jerry Hewett.
According the docs,it will handle any ProDos volume up to 65536 blocks.
It's available on Apple2-L as 88-00658.

Sid Graham                 Bitnet:swgraham@mtus5
Math Dept.                 Internet:swgraham@mtu.edu

JCKASPER@MTUS5.BITNET (05/14/89)

Date: 14 May 89, 01:47:37 EST
From: John C. Kasperski   (Otherwise known as "Jc")  JCKASPER at MTUS5
To:   INFO-APPLE at BRL.MIL

Does anybody know what the price to upgrade from ProSEL-8 to ProSEL-16 is?

  <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

bsherm@umbio.MIAMI.EDU (Bob Sherman) (05/18/89)

in article <8905140155.aa00508@SMOKE.BRL.MIL>, JCKASPER@MTUS5.BITNET says:

> Date: 14 May 89, 01:47:37 EST
> From: John C. Kasperski   (Otherwise known as "Jc")  JCKASPER at MTUS5
> To:   INFO-APPLE at BRL.MIL
>
> Does anybody know what the price to upgrade from ProSEL-8 to ProSEL-16 is?

The upgrade costs just 20 American greenbacks, mailed directly to the
author. As one who has already upgraded, let me say it is worth every
penny.
--
  Internet  -- bsherm%umbio@umigw.miami.edu
  UUCP      -- {uunet!gould}!umbio!bsherm