[comp.sys.apple] User Support.... and more!

neilhncc1701d@pro-cyon.UUCP (Neil Haldar) (05/14/89)

     Ok, look here folks...
     System Disk v5.0 will/is certainly VERY fast. I was not at Applefest, but
from what I've read, it must be. Apple announced the Video Overlay Card (well,
a month sooner), and it too is good. That was point one.

     Point two: As someone pointed out, Apple tells alot about the future of
the Mac. What about the //?? Hardly anything...

     Point three: Alot of magazines for OTHER computers have been writing
about the demise of the Apple //. I can think of an article an Amiga friend
read to me that rather violently attacked the IIgs specifically and how the
//s are dying/dead/buried.

     Point four: We, the Apple // users ourselves, doubt that Apple will do
anything in the way of announcments for the //, and so have concocted that the
// is dying...

     Look folks, IT'S POSSIBLE!! Perhaps Apple wishes to move on to bigger and
better markets where the $$$ lies.

     I've said it once, and I'll say it again... we need to support ourselves!
Write our own software, come up with our own mods to whatever, and possibly,
homemade hardware... That's all possible...

     At least then, if (IF) Apple does drop the //, we'll be prepared...

     Please, no flames, constructive critisizims are ok, and any comments will
be answered...
  DISCLAIMER: Everything I post here is so amazingly bizarre that it simply
              _HAS_ to be my opinion.
  How much of a bottle of Coke is fizz??
  Neil Haldar, 512 Westover Lane, Mansfield,OH  44906
  GEnie: N.HALDAR
  UUCP: crash!pnet01!pro-cyon!neilhncc1701d
  ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-cyon!neilhncc1701d@nosc.mil
  INET: neilhncc1701d@pro-cyon.cts.com
"Only human arrogance would assume the message must be meant for man."
                                              - Mr. Spock, Star Trek IV

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (05/16/89)

In article <8905150839.AA04525@crash.cts.com> pnet01!pro-sat!pro-cyon!neilhncc1701d@nosc.mil writes:

>     Ok, look here folks...
>     Point two: As someone pointed out, Apple tells alot about the future of
>the Mac. What about the //?? Hardly anything...

I don't think this is quite true. Apple has announced System Disk 5.0 for the
Apple IIGS, and has promised a new Apple II sometime 12-18 months after the
SF AppleFest (ie, not officially an announcement). Score = 1 1/2.

Apple has made certain direction statements concerning System Disk 7.0 for the
Macintosh (again, NOT an announcement). Score = 1/2.

Apple II wins here!

>     Point three: Alot of magazines for OTHER computers have been writing
>about the demise of the Apple //. I can think of an article an Amiga friend
>read to me that rather violently attacked the IIgs specifically and how the
>//s are dying/dead/buried.

Yeah, and I wish they'd stop doing that! They're killing the market! Look at
all the turmoil they've caused with their unfounded rumours.

>     Point four: We, the Apple // users ourselves, doubt that Apple will do
>anything in the way of announcments for the //, and so have concocted that the
>// is dying...
>
>     Look folks, IT'S POSSIBLE!! Perhaps Apple wishes to move on to bigger and
>better markets where the $$$ lies.
>
>     I've said it once, and I'll say it again... we need to support ourselves!
>Write our own software, come up with our own mods to whatever, and possibly,
>homemade hardware... That's all possible...

Hear, hear! That's the spirit I like to see. A computer is only popular if its
owners are behind it! it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with how
aggresively Apple updates it. Remember, for the first 6 years of Apple's exist-
ance, there were only the Apple II and II+. It seemed pretty popular then, and
only because people like you were writing neato games, databases, spreadsheets,
word processors, exploiting AppleSoft, revving DOS 3.x, etc. It could still be
that way.

Anyone got any good ProDOS hacks? How about getting Integer BASIC to run under
ProDOS? Glen Bredon patched the SCSI manager. I myself patch QuickDraw to make
it over twice as fast (before those nasty guys in Engineering made it over
4 times as fast). John Brooks wrote his own APW Linker to make it many times
faster. Andy Nicolas wrote a groovy archiver. Dave Lyons has written many
handy utilities such as Davex, Nifty List, and Diced.

Just food for thought...
INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions

NETOPRMS@NCSUVM.BITNET (Michael Steele) (05/19/89)

What's all this *BS* about Applefest being a flop and the Apple II dying.

LOOK!  I was at Applefest and I've TALKED to the engineers, according to them
 there are over 100 engineers working on the II and each engineer has 4 support
 people...that makes 400 devoted to the II. This rough guesstamate is proof
 that the II isn't going to die anytime soon, otherwise why would Apple waste
 so much money hiring all these people to work on the II.

Where are the "Apple II is going to die" rumors coming from?  Mac magazines....
.well this makes since.  Mac people don't see a reason for the II so they would
 just as soon see Apple spend the money on the Mac instead of "wasting" it on
 developing an "outdated" machine.

 There has been talk of the merging of hte GS and the MAC line, and some
 complaints, but I don't see anything wrong with being able to run MAc software
 on my GS++, do you?
  Michael Steele  co-sysop of NCSU Apple Users BBS
10 meg Apple downloads(latest PD software), Tech/Pascal/PCP discussion
919-783-9010 (PC Pursuitable NCRTP)  Call today!  919-783-9010
BITNET: netoprms@ncsuvm.bitnet
ARPA: mikes@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu     JANET:mikes%ncsuvx.ncsu.edu@uk.ac.ucl.cs
UUCP:...!ncsuvx!mikes           ACSNET:mikes%ncsuvx.ncsu.edu@munari.oz