[comp.sys.apple] Comments re:GSOS 5.0

tomj@pro-pac.cts.com (Tom Jenkins) (05/17/89)

Hey finally someone speaks out for Apple!!!

Thank you Matt.  Your insight on this typical problem is greatly welcomed.
Again, I for one thank you for your views.  It is your tenacity and
perserverance that has held us (apple ][ owners) together in times such as
these.  Although I admit openly that I question Apple's policy toward
reviving the life of the ][ line, and even have publically stated (so shoot
me!) that if after this year, if I don't have the fabled factory funmachine
(GS+), I'm gonna move to MeSsy-DOS.  Ha Ha.

It is with honest opinion that I encourage you, and others, to offer the
technical defense needed to keep the Apple ][ line flourishing.  What a
surprise it is to download 135K of InfoApples, read through posts and post of
Macintosh Operating System 7.0 news (on the Info-Apple?...naw...) and to come
across a well thought out rebuttle to someone who may not have all the facts.

THESE KIND OF THOUGHTS ARE MOST WELCOMED!  Please keep in mind, that the
ProLine system is often where the future of Apple is shared with the common
modemer (and non-modemer alike) such as myself.  As you know, we typically
get information well ahead of the software and hardware stores.  To read
about the plus's and some internal details of an Operating System ahead of
it's release is truth to Apple's commitment concerning the ][ line.  Believe
me, I had some serious doubts before I read that post.  But after perusing
it, I am starting to believe that maybe, just maybe, there is life in the old
][ (and GS, since it does not work on older machines anyway).

May I recommend that you guys (at Apple) do a similar question answer thing
for version 5.0 of GSOS?  It would go a long way toward answering some
questions we all had I'm sure.

Once again, thanks Matt.

--
UUCP: {nosc, cacilj, sdcsvax, hplabs!hp-sdd, sun.COM}
                        ...!crash!pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-pac!tomj

davidr@pro-sol.cts.com (David Rahardja) (05/18/89)

Network Comment: to #7306 by pnet01!crash!pro-pac.cts.com!tomj

  That's right.

And, well, the GS support is really Going Slow, if you get what I mean. I
really wish that there will be some kind of upgrade for the //gs. *SPEED* is
most welcomed (I've got a TransWarp GS for the moment, but it's my friend's
and I've gotta return it soon) as I noticed that a 6.2MHz chip can really make
a visible difference in performance. Finder flies. DeluxePaint // fills in a
zap, everything works at turbo speed.

  And lots of other improvements. Have you seen the amount of Macintosh
additions that's popped out? Not to mention Mac MACHINES as well. The SE/30?
The Mac IIcx? When did the Apple II line ever get so much attention?

  So, someone should tell sugar-water-man Scully to note the Apple II line and
kick some ass in the offices and get the machine working.

      ____
  o__:o | |
   \__, (_|
      \  \

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (05/19/89)

In article <8905181737.AA02846@crash.cts.com> pnet01!pro-sol!davidr@nosc.mil writes:
>Network Comment: to #7306 by pnet01!crash!pro-pac.cts.com!tomj
>
>  That's right.
>
>And, well, the GS support is really Going Slow, if you get what I mean. I
>really wish that there will be some kind of upgrade for the //gs. *SPEED* is
>most welcomed (I've got a TransWarp GS for the moment, but it's my friend's
>and I've gotta return it soon) as I noticed that a 6.2MHz chip can really make
>a visible difference in performance. Finder flies. DeluxePaint // fills in a
>zap, everything works at turbo speed.

The system flies under 5.0, too.  You'll like it.  Anything that uses QuickDraw
is sped up considerably (like 2 or 3 times in some cases...it depends).  Games
that already do their own fast animation won't be affected, though.

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.