[comp.sys.apple] ProDOS on ][+

m.tiernan@pro-angmar.UUCP (Michael Tiernan) (05/19/89)

Network Comment: to #575 by obsolete!dlyons%apple.com

Mr Lyons, as I remember, ProDOS will even run on a 48K machine as long as you
don't try to run BASIC.SYSTEM.  So a BIN file that doesn't use the BI should
still run, right?

Of course I haven't looked at any of the new tech notes, all the ones that I
paid for are now obsolete. "Thanks Apple".

<< MCT >>

BCS Apple/Boston Connection     [MCT] (617) 893-5681
GEnie                           M.Tiernan
AppleLinkPE                     M Tiernan
BCS Net                         Michael Tiernan
obsolete!pro-angmar!m.tiernan@bloom-beacon.mit.edu
obsolete!pro-angmar!m.tiernan@bu-it.bu.edu
pro-angmar!m.tiernan@obsolete.uucp
m.tiernan@pro-angmar.cts.com

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (05/20/89)

In article <8905190435.AA18959@obsolete.UUCP> m.tiernan@pro-angmar.UUCP (Michael Tiernan) writes:
>Network Comment: to #575 by obsolete!dlyons%apple.com
>
>Mr Lyons, as I remember, ProDOS will even run on a 48K machine as long as you
>don't try to run BASIC.SYSTEM.  So a BIN file that doesn't use the BI should
>still run, right?
>
>Of course I haven't looked at any of the new tech notes, all the ones that I
>paid for are now obsolete. "Thanks Apple".

Booting on a 48K machine was in the original design for ProDOS 8, but it was
taken out either before the first public release or a long time ago.  Early
documentation included diagrams for 48K systems, but they didn't mean much (I
think there was an addendum telling you to cross out those pictures).

Technotes are freely distributable.  They get mailed to Apple Partners and
Apple Associates, and you can download them from APPLE2-L (right?), CompuServe,
GEnie, AppleLink, AppleLink--Personal Edition, several FTP sites, or you can
get them on the A2-Central disk of the month (I assume they will release the
updates on there...they put out the whole set a few months ago).

The technotes will continue to be revised and improved every 2 months, whether
you like it or not.  Even if it makes your old ones obsolete.  (Maybe you can
depreciate your old ones on your taxes.)

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.