[comp.sys.apple] System 7.0

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) (05/10/89)

I agree that the description of 7.0 sounds like Apple is
addressing most of the complaints/suggestions/etc. for
improving the Mac system.

I have a question to which somebody may know the answer.
The document states that to use virtual memory, I could
install the PMMU chip in my Mac II. I phoned our campus
distributor, and all they know about is the 68030 board
which sells for about $1,600. They said it would probably
take about three weeks for information from Apple to
trickle down to them. The Apple release says that the
68851 PMMU chip is "currently available." Does anyone
have a ballpark figure on what such a chip costs/will cost?

Steve Goldfield

REWING@TRINCC.BITNET (05/10/89)

The list price I believe for a the 68851 PMMU chip is about $495.
Granted, this cost is a bit steep for Virtual memory, but compare it
to real DRAM prices, and it may seem a bargain.

--Rick Ewing
  Apple Atlanta

kateley@Apple.COM (Jim Kateley) (05/10/89)

In article <24216@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) writes:
>I have a question to which somebody may know the answer.
>The document states that to use virtual memory, I could
>install the PMMU chip in my Mac II. I phoned our campus
>distributor, and all they know about is the 68030 board
>which sells for about $1,600. They said it would probably
>take about three weeks for information from Apple to
>trickle down to them. The Apple release says that the
>68851 PMMU chip is "currently available." Does anyone
>have a ballpark figure on what such a chip costs/will cost?

The 68851 PMMU is available from Apple as a finished goods product.
It's part number is M0221, and has a SRP of $499.00, which includes
dealer installation (which is required).  It has been on the retail
finished goods price pages for quite awhile, under the A/UX products
section.

Jim Kateley          UUCP: {sun, voder, nsc, mtxinu, dual}!apple!kateley
S,P,HnS!             DOMAIN: kateley@apple.COM  Applelink: kateley1
Disclaimer:   What I say, think, or smell does not reflect any policy or
	      stray thought by Apple Computer, Inc.

>I agree that the description of 7.0 sounds like Apple is
>addressing most of the complaints/suggestions/etc. for
>improving the Mac system.

Facinating as all the 'System 7.0' stuff is, isn't info-mac the place
for it (us Apple 2 types appreciate moderate mac info, but the several
messages about 7.0 don't appear aware that info-apple = Apple 2)?

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

labc-3dc@e260-3f.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) (05/10/89)

Discussions about the Macintosh do not belong in comp.sys.apple; please
edit your "Newsgroups:" lines so that you don't cross-post to an Apple II
only group.

Thank you.

--
fadden@cory.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
...!ucbvax!cory!fadden

>> Facinating as all the 'System 7.0' stuff is, isn't info-mac the place
>> for it...
>
>I read info-apple from Usenet, where the group is called comp.sys.apple.  The
>header on the newsgroup says that the group contains information about Apple
>micros, which would seem to include Macs.

comp.sys.apple is somewhat older than the Macintosh (or even the Lisa :-),
and the UUCP backbone administrators say it would be a major hassle to
change the name to comp.sys.apple2.  Since our site hasn't access to USENET,
I don't know all the lists, but I am aware of many of them.

>Also, the System 7.0 info was posted from someone on Usenet, and it was posted
>to comp.sys.mac, comp.sys.mac.programmer, and comp.sys.apple.  If someone else

Alas, by the time the mail gets to BITNET all evidence of what lists
messages may have been cross-posted to has been removed (which is more
of a bother when someone submits a question, and it isn't clear that it's
been cross-posted to a group with readers more likely to be able to supply
an answer).

>on Usenet posts a followup message without editing the newsgroup line, his/her
>followup line will go to all the newsgroups that were listed in the original
>article.  Unfortunately, most people DO NOT edit the newsgroup line.

I sometimes overlook what "reply all" has done, but I try not to (our
mailer has a nice "exclude" command for removing the extraneous addresses
which "reply all" may add).  Everyone should learn to EDIT DESTINATION
LINES!!! (Maybe we can encourage improved net ettiquette by cross-posting
this comment?).

>This is not a flame at you...

Not to worry - I'm 'well done' already (mostly my own fault ;-)

cramer@athens.iex.com (Bill Cramer) (05/11/89)

In article <30398@apple.Apple.COM> kateley@Apple.COM (Jim Kateley) writes:
>The 68851 PMMU is available from Apple as a finished goods product.
>It's part number is M0221, and has a SRP of $499.00, which includes
>dealer installation (which is required).  It has been on the retail
>finished goods price pages for quite awhile, under the A/UX products
>section.

Is there some magic involved in the upgrade or is it as simple as dropping
the chip into the empty socket?  ($499 seems like a reasonable price for
the average Mac user, but being a Mac abuser, I'd like to have the opportunity
to bend a few pins for myself :-)

Bill Cramer
IEX Corporation
Plano, Texas
{uunet,killer,convex}!iex!cramer

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (05/12/89)

Murphy - honestly, I didnt talk mark into making those cross postings!
But here again is an example of what I was trying to tell folks a couple
of weeks ago when I posted a request for discussion about a rename of the
comp.sys.apple group to comp.sys.apple2.  I have received approx 7 msgs
agreeing that this should be done, 2 msgs stating that it would be too hard
and 2 who wanted to know why I wanted to do it.

Not too resounding.  Sigh...

--
Larry W. Virden	 674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817
n8emr!lwv@cis.ohio-state.edu (Internet)

prl3546@tahoma.UUCP (Philip R. Lindberg) (05/13/89)

From article <24216@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, by steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield):
> I agree that the description of 7.0 sounds like Apple is
> addressing most of the complaints/suggestions/etc. for
> improving the Mac system.
	    ^^^^^^^

> Steve Goldfield

Hey!  What is this doing here?!?!?

prl3546@tahoma.UUCP (Philip R. Lindberg) (05/13/89)

From article <8905092140.aa04248@SMOKE.BRL.MIL>, by REWING@TRINCC.BITNET:
> The list price I believe for a the 68851 PMMU chip is about $495.
> Granted, this cost is a bit steep for Virtual memory, but compare it
> to real DRAM prices, and it may seem a bargain.
>
> --Rick Ewing
>   Apple Atlanta

Hey, People!  We have enough stuff to wade through here without having to
listen to this MAC STUFF!?!?!

STEVENS@SENECA.BITNET (05/13/89)

From:   info-apple@BRL.MIL
To:     MURRAY STEVENS <STEVENS@SENECA>
CC:
Subj:   Re: System 7.0

>From:         "Larry W. Virden" <n8emr!lwv@TUT.CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU>
>
>Murphy - honestly, I didnt talk mark into making those cross postings!
>But here again is an example of what I was trying to tell folks a couple
>of weeks ago when I posted a request for discussion about a rename of the
>comp.sys.apple group to comp.sys.apple2.  I have received approx 7 msgs
>agreeing that this should be done, 2 msgs stating that it would be too hard
>and 2 who wanted to know why I wanted to do it.
>
>Not too resounding.  Sigh...
>
>Larry W. Virden         674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817
>n8emr!lwv@cis.ohio-state.edu (Internet)
>75046,606 (CIS) ; LVirden (ALPE) ; osu-cis!n8emr!lwv (UUCP)

Sorry Larry!
I received the "It's tooo hard" responses b4 i could reply with My vote.

IF it is tooo hard to change the list name, then disregard the rest of this!

BUT if not then I vote we change the name.
I think that there is MORE than enough mail generated about the //'s without
the Mac pushing it's nose in here, and the LIST name IS a little ambiguous.
 You know it was less than a year ago that the hot topic on this list was
whether to make a seperate //gs list!!

So! I see 3 alternatives.
1. change the name
2. stop talkin Macs!
3. tell me to shut up

Seriously though, there may be more people out there, like me, who saw the
 "It's too Hard" messages and didn't respond. so if (I repeat) it is not too
hard to change the name, then why not put it to a vote.

Murray
Stevens@Seneca
Thanks In advance, In retrospect, and otherwise For LISTENING

lbotez@pro-simasd.cts.com (Lynda Botez) (05/15/89)

System Overview

Q:  Why is Apple talking about System 7.0?

A:  Geesh... I dunno.  Seems like everyone at Apple Computer is so consumed
    Macintosh fever that they tend to forget that the "dull and boring"
    relative, the Apple II people, aren't really interested in all that
    Mac stuff.

>Q:  Why is Apple talking about System 7.0?
>
>A:  Geesh... I dunno.  Seems like everyone at Apple Computer is so consumed
>    Macintosh fever that they tend to forget that the "dull and boring"
>    relative, the Apple II people, aren't really interested in all that
>    Mac stuff.

While I have previously expressed disinterest in all the follow-up stuff,
I WOULD like to continue receiving Apple's Press Releases and other notices
about ANY products (including Mac systems software).

We've all noticed that responses to posts frequently don't edit the
newsgroups lines, so Mark is posting separately to each list -- meaning
the Mac follow-ups should soon disappear.

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

jim@pro-nebulous.UUCP (System Administrator) (05/21/89)

Network Comment: to #1620 by pnet01!crash!beaver.cs.washington.edu!ssc-vax!shuksan!tahoma!prl3546

I couldn't agree more.  Why don't you Mac folks post on comp.system.mac
(Info-Mac-Digest) and leave Info-Apple alone?

Jim.