[comp.sys.apple] Supporting our own Apple //s

nelson@pro-europa.cts.com (Nelson Minar) (05/18/89)

It seems to me that some of the best Apple software has ALWAYS been home
brewed.  The best example would be terminal software, especially for the Apple
Cat modem. Even now we have the budding IInix project - a brave attempt to
port Unix over to an Apple //.

However, if we Apple users do get "dumped" from Apple, its going to require
some sort of organization to keep things going.  If 18 people release ProDOS
3.0, then no one will know what to run - standards are very convienient things
to keep going.

I remember reading a story recently about some computer built that was quite
powerful. Hacker types recognized what a neat machine it was, and for a year a
lot of people bought them, at which point the company turned around and
orphaned the computer.  Since then, one of the largest user groups around has
formed around that computer, with the sole intent of advancing software
development for it, and they are largely successful.

Apple has to give up on the // some time. The //e and ][+ technology is well
over 10 years old now, and eventually no one else is going to buy into it.
Accept this, and dig your fallout shelter.

nelson@pro-europa.cts.com                                  cogito ergo non sum
...!crash!pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-europa!nelson

>However, if we Apple users do get "dumped" from Apple, its going to require
>some sort of organization to keep things going.  If 18 people release ProDOS
>3.0, then no one will know what to run - standards are very convienient things
>to keep going.

The organization already exists.  It's known as Video Technologies (makers
of the Laser 128 series of clones).  They are PRAYING that Apple will be
inept enough to drop the Apple 2 so they can cut a larger slice of a very
lucrative market which Apple doesn't seem to really appreciate.

In fact, I'm not so sure I'd be unhappy about such an eventuality as I'll
bet a 32-bit Apple 2 (65832 CPU) would emerge from Video Technologies while
Apple seems less than enthusiastic about the whole idea.  Why not?  We've
been dumb enough (and Asian entrepeneurs have been perceptive enough) to
"outplace" color TV, VCR's, DRAM chips, and HDTV development; isn't it
logical that home computing should be next?

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (05/19/89)

In article <8905190106.aa17267@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (Murph Sewall) writes:
>[stuff deleted] Why not?  We've
>been dumb enough (and Asian entrepeneurs have been perceptive enough) to
>"outplace" color TV, VCR's, DRAM chips, and HDTV development; isn't it
>logical that home computing should be next?

	Actually, American companies haven't dropped the ball on at least
	one of the above, HDTV.  As a matter of fact, Apple is involved
	with HDTV development (One of the news magazines had an article
	on it a while ago).

Cary Farrier

>   Actually, American companies haven't dropped the ball on at least
>   one of the above, HDTV.  As a matter of fact, Apple is involved
>   with HDTV development (One of the news magazines had an article
>   on it a while ago).
>
>Cary Farrier

While it's good to know that Apple computers in the 21st Century may feature
motion picture theater quality graphics, the Japanese generally are conceded
to have an ENORMOUS lead over U.S. firms in HDTV development (enoough to
seriously worry even the Defense Department).  Becoming "involved" (late to
the game) and a quarter will get you a cup of coffee (it's all vaporware
until we can actually buy one).

Apple's "involved" in developing a new IIgs too (isn't it ;-)

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

tsouth@pro-pac.cts.com (System Administrator) (05/21/89)

Re:

>Date:         Sat, 20 May 89 13:28:52 EST
>From: Murph Sewall <pnet01!crash!cunyvm.cuny.edu!SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET>
>Subject:      Re: Supporting our own Apple //s

>>   Actually, American companies haven't dropped the ball on at least
>>   one of the above, HDTV.  As a matter of fact, Apple is involved
>>   with HDTV development (One of the news magazines had an article
>>   on it a while ago).
>>
>>Cary Farrier

>While it's good to know that Apple computers in the 21st Century may feature
>motion picture theater quality graphics, the Japanese generally are conceded
>to have an ENORMOUS lead over U.S. firms in HDTV development (enoough to
>seriously worry even the Defense Department).  Becoming "involved" (late to
>the game) and a quarter will get you a cup of coffee (it's all vaporware
>until we can actually buy one).

>Apple's "involved" in developing a new IIgs too (isn't it ;-)

>Murph Sewall     Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]

Of course, we all know that HDTV in current implementation will also
cause every channel to use twice their current bandwidth.  Some of
the implementations of current technology in HDTV that I have seen will
allow the sets to be used as Mac II quality monitors.  Of course, this
is biased since the only computer that I have seen connected to such a
setup is a Mac II.

Hmm...  IIgs+ with the brand new HDTV compatible monitor!  Naw, never
work...  We could get all of the television stations to change all of
their transmitters, but since there's obviously no purchasing power in
the world of Apple II computers it would never sell... :)

Todd South

--
UUCP: {nosc, uunet!cacilj, sdcsvax, hplabs!hp-sdd, sun.COM}
                        ...!crash!pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-pac!tsouth