[comp.sys.apple] xmodem problems

msimmond@ub.d.umn.edu (Mark) (05/17/89)

I am having trouble downloading binary files using kermit so I thought that I
would try and use the xmodem at school but every time I try to use it I always
get no reply and eventuall my xmodem just times out and I get nothing received.
I was wondering if anybody has ever used the xmode that comes with UNIX and
what kind of xmodem is it, like xmodem or xmodem crc I haven't got either one to
work.

		Mark Simmonds
		msimmond@ub.d.umn.edu

gato@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (05/18/89)

     I've had a similar problem:  Xmodem starts fine, but it hangs after the
19th block.  Also, Xmodem-1k stops at 19 blocks, both checksum and CRC.  This
is a real pain, especially because the only system I have access to that has
a working Xmodem server is at 1200 baud.  Whoopee.
     Is there a simple fix, or is it a problem with the actual Xmodem protocol
on the system?
							Ken.
					Ignore above address:
						krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

labc-3dc@e260-3f.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) (05/20/89)

In article <15800002@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> gato@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>     I've had a similar problem:  Xmodem starts fine, but it hangs after the
>19th block.  Also, Xmodem-1k stops at 19 blocks, both checksum and CRC.  This
>is a real pain, especially because the only system I have access to that has
>a working Xmodem server is at 1200 baud.  Whoopee.

Are you sending or receiving?  I can only send to my UNIX account if I
log on in a certain way (directly through a port selector; if I log onto a
"terminal" account and transfer through there, it fails).  In fact, sometimes
the phone even hangs up...

There are widespread problems with the last block not being sent...

>     Is there a simple fix, or is it a problem with the actual Xmodem protocol
>on the system?

What comm program are you using?  I've found that an old version of Z-Link
will succeed in certain places where ProTERM fails.

--
fadden@cory.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
...!ucbvax!cory!fadden

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (05/21/89)

Note that block 19 of an Xmodem transfer has a block count in binary equal
to Control-S.  This is often interpreted by communications equipment as
a xon/xoff control sequence.  I know that I have to deal with a system in
which this cannot be turned off - thus I have to use kermit to communicate
with said system.
--
Larry W. Virden	 674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817
n8emr!lwv@cis.ohio-state.edu (Internet)