[comp.sys.apple] Proline Networking

tsouth@pro-pac.cts.com (System Administrator) (05/02/89)

Hi Folks!

        With the advent of the latest Proline software update, the entire
proline network has finally become a true networking system capable of
interfacing through a varied amount of systems.  Although I would not want
to infringe upon the `rules' of this feed in blatant commercial advertising
I would like to point out that new improvements in the system have finally
put us at the point where there are no more hacks, no more quick patches,
no more manual updating of the system, no more answering network messages
offline, and no more intra-network problems with return headers that use
standard bangs.

        So, as a proline sysadm, I would like to encourage any Apple ][
owners out there to check into this networking system.  For $200 you can
turn your Apple computer into a fountain of information and not have to
go through the tons of crap that I have seen poor souls on Fido networks
have to swim through.

        Personal enhancements to the system are abounding each and every
day.  There are tons of people out in the net that crave to help each
other establish this network to its possible potential.  And believe me,
we would love to have more of you become one of us.  But, remember that
the Proline system is not a transfer BBS, nor do most of us want to be
known for this.  Proline is an information center with no real rivals
in the Apple world to what it does best -- network!

        If you want more information on the Proline system you can
pass almost any of the proline root users a note (including me!) to
point you in the right direction, or contact Morgan Davis, our
benevolent guru. :)

Todd South

--
UUCP: {nosc, uunet!cacilj, sdcsvax, hplabs!hp-sdd, sun.COM}
                        ...!crash!pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-pac!tsouth

jlongen@pacsbb.UUCP (joseph longenecker) (05/16/89)

Todd Smith mentioned Proline Networking.  Origionally I thought that
Proline was BBS Software.  Is there now a network of Proline Nodes?
If so, does this network deal mainly with Apple II stuff?  If it is a
network, how does one access it?

Thanks.  Joseph Longenecker
rutgers!cbmvax!temvax!pacsbb!jlongen

delton@pro-carolina.UUCP (Don Elton) (05/17/89)

Network Comment: to #2691 by obsolete!bpa!temvax!pacsbb!jlongen%rutgers.edu

ProLine sites are networked with each other and with a couple of UNIX sites
(hence the link to uucp et al).  Most of the traffic on ProLine sites is Apple
oriented (for example my own site is to provide tech support etc for my Talk
is Cheap program) but other usenet feeds such as Mac, Amiga, IBM PC etc are
also piped in as well.  Just call a site and look around.  There's a list of
sites on every site including my own (see .signature below).

UUCP: [ sdcsvax nosc ] !crash!pro-carolina!delton
ARPA: crash!pro-carolina!delton@nosc.mil
INET: delton@pro-carolina.cts.com

Pro-Carolina: 803-776-3936 (300-2400 baud, login as 'register')
     US Mail: 3207 Berkeley Forest Drive, Columbia, SC  29209-4111

blake@pro-party.cts.com (System Administrator) (05/18/89)

Network Comment: to #9547 by obsolete!bpa!temvax!pacsbb!jlongen%rutgers.edu

> Origionally I thought that Proline was a BBS software.

It is a BBS Package

> Is there now a network of ProLine nodes?

There has always been a "network" of ProLine nodes.  Thats the big selling
feature of the package.  The "network" is networked mail and
mailinglists/newsgroups gatewayed from USENET.

There are, however, a couple of Conferences (similar to USENET newsgroups or
mailing lists") that rarely, if ever, pass outside of the proline "network"
one of these is "chatter-net" which is on about 10 proline sites and is a
general interest discussion.  There is also a proline information mailing list
that originates on pro-sol and contains information about the software, bugs,
mods, etc.

To access it, just call your friendly [:-)] neighborhood ProLine.
______

UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!blake
ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-party!blake@nosc.mil
INET: blake@pro-party.cts.com

Blake Farenthold        | CIS: 70070,521        | Source: TCX023
P.O. Box 17442          | MCI: BFARENTHOLD      |  GEnie: BLAKE
San Antonio, TX 78217   | BBS: 512/829-1027     | Delphi: BLAKE

Sirald@cup.portal.com (Andrew Lionel Dalrymple) (05/18/89)

	Given that Pro-Line is mainly apple oriented, I would
think that the posting of it would be most welcome.

daveharv@pro-novapple.UUCP (Dave Harvey) (05/18/89)

Network Comment: to #6452 by obsolete!bpa!temvax!pacsbb!jlongen%rutgers.edu

>Todd Smith mentioned Proline Networking.  Origionally I thought that
>Proline was BBS Software.  Is there now a network of Proline Nodes?
>If so, does this network deal mainly with Apple II stuff?  If it is a
>network, how does one access it?

>Thanks.  Joseph Longenecker

Proline is BBS software and runs on Apple II's.  Almost all of the sites
running the software are connected to a Proline network.  Individual sites
deal with a variety of subjects, including Apple II, MACs, Amiga, etc.  Many,
like my own site receive both MAC and Apple II newsgroups.  As far as how you
access them, you can call one of the sites located in various cities
throughout the country and from that point have access to various newsgroups.
Most of the Proline sites are privately owned and supported, so communications
costs connecting the sites are born by the individual site operators.
Obviously, by the way, you can access Proline sites via the gateways, just
like I'm doing now in the other direction.

proline: pro-novapple!daveharv
uucp: crash!pro-novapple!daveharv
arpa: crash!pro-novapple!daveharv@nosc.mil
Internet: daveharv@pro-novapple.cts.com
Northern Virginia Apple Users Group >pro-novapple< 703-671-0416/300-2400 baud

nazgul@obsolete.UUCP (Kee Hinckley) (05/18/89)

    	Given that Pro-Line is mainly apple oriented, I would
    think that the posting of it would be most welcome.

The software, or the mailing list?  If the former, aside from
the fact that it would probably involve dozens of postings, it's
a commericial product.  If the latter, it's not much use unless
you are considering buying the product.  If so let
mdavis@pro-sol.cts.com (the author) know and he can send you
information on it, as in fact can any of the ProLine sysops,
including myself.
						-kee

Home:	obsolete!nazgul@bloom-beacon.mit.edu
Work:	nazgul@apollo.com
BBS:	obsolete!pro-angmar!nazgul@bloom-beacon.mit.edu
	    or
	nazgul@pro-angmar.cts.com  (somewhat slower though)
	617/641-3722 (300/1200/2400)
-------

mdavis@pro-sol.cts.com (Morgan Davis) (05/19/89)

Network Comment: to #7274 by pnet01!crash!rutgers.edu!bpa!temvax!pacsbb!jlongen

> Todd Smith mentioned ProLine networking.  Originally, I thought that
> ProLine was BBS software.

It is, and then some.

> Is there now a network of ProLine nodes?

There has been a ProLine network since late 1985.

> Does this network deal mainly with Apple II stuff?

No, not just Apple II material.  ProLine systems are different from most BBSs
because they attract users from all different computer camps.  Since we have
gateways into UUCP (which allow us to receive Internet newsgroup traffic) our
sites can subscribe to a variety of newsfeeds, Apple and non-Apple types.

> If it is a network, how do you access it?

You'll see a lot of return addresses and signatures in messages from
Info-Apple that contain a "pro-" prefix before a site name.  You'll know
instantly that the site is a ProLine site.  Take a look at the headers and
signatures now and you'll see that there are quite a number of different
Apple-based ProLine systems that participate in the Internet.

To access the ProLine network you need to go through a gateway that runs the
P-Net software.  There is one that doesn't, but I don't know if the system
administrator is keen on the idea of the Internet piping traffic through his
UNIX box to get to his ProLine machine.  Known gateways are: crash!pnet01,
simasd!pnet07, and orbit!pnet51.  There may be others, but I can't recall
all of them off the top of my head.  To get to any ProLine site, just get
your message to the gateway site like so:

        ...crash!pnet01!pro-xxxxx!username

where xxxxx is the ProLine node name.  We are registered in the .cts.com
domain, and all gateways (so far) reside within the UUCP network.

Our network also maintains an internal newsgroup called, appropriately enough,
"proline".  The group is mostly for ProLine system administrator's usage, but
it is a public feed.  If anyone out there in net land wants to receive this
feed, write to a sysop of a P-Net site to ask for a subscription.  (Since
P-Nets are on the fringe of the network, they're the best nodes for
redistribution of the "proline" newsfeed).

--Morgan Davis

UUCP: crash!pnet01!pro-sol!mdavis		ProLine:  mdavis@pro-sol
ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-sol!mdavis@nosc.mil	MCI Mail: 137-6036
INET: mdavis@pro-sol.cts.com			APE, BIX: mdavis

danield@pro-grouch.UUCP (Daniel Davidson) (05/19/89)

Network Comment: to #430 by pnet01!crash!rutgers.edu!bpa!temvax!pacsbb!jlongen

Yes, ProLine is BBS software. Yes there is a network of ProLines. the easiest
way to access the ProLine Network is to call up you favorite/local proline.
the system administrator should be happy to try and answer any Quesitons you
have.

Daniel  ( sysop@pro-grouch.cts.com)
BITNET : danield%pro-grouch.cts.com@nosc.mil  | ProLine: danield@pro-grouch
UUCP: crash!pnet01!pro-grouch!danield         | INET:danield@pro-grouch.cts.com
ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-grouch!danield@nosc.mil| All opinions here in are MINE!!

>   Given that Pro-Line is mainly apple oriented, I would
>think that the posting of it would be most welcome.

What EXACTLY are you asking for?  The software is COMMERCIAL and it's
author is a regular reader (sometimes contributor) to info-apple.  Even
if Morgan made it public domain, the whole package is MUCH too large
for efficient network distribution.

There's LOTS of public domain and shareware software for which net
distribution isn't practical.  Computer clubs (The 'Big Red Computer Club'
423 Norfolk Avenue, Norfolk, NE 68701 is a pretty good deal for only
$19.95 a year if you haven't a local club) are a far more efficient source
for most shareware and public domain software.

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

Sirald@cup.portal.com (Andrew Lionel Dalrymple) (05/24/89)

	Sorry... I was fully misunderstood earlier.  When I
said "I would think the posting of it would be good", I did
not mean the BBS s/w.  I had ment the LIST OF NODES.  I live
in San Jose, CA -- Bay Area; and out of all the computer news-
papers, I can't find one ProLine system to call.