[comp.sys.apple] Apple and postscript

sysop@pro-generic.cts.com (Matthew Montano) (05/18/89)

pnet01!crash!cs.ucla.edu!lange mentioned something to the effect:

> Why does Apple insist on reinventing the wheel. Adobe can't be charging
> *THAT* much for postscript.

  There is no doubt about it that Apple can afford (physically) to purchase
the licenses for postscript and place them in the Mac //'s. Mind you the price
of those units would be about $500 more. I think Adobe makes about $800 per
laser printer sold with postscript, thats a LOT.. no wonder the founders of
Adobe are weathy and rightfully so for their intelligent marketing.

  But really, why would Apple let a piece of the proprietry setup be
controlled by a third party. Not one piece of the Apple // and Macintosh setup
(system software, hardware etc.) is owned or copyrighted by another company.
Running the entire ship means you control the entire ship, it's yours to do as
you feel. IBM is severly constricted by Microsoft and their control over
MS-DOS. NeXT pays many dollars to use postscript, mind you they have paid for
Mach and other pieces of design or hardware.

  Apple would like to maintain control over their own products, to guide them
into the future how they feel is right, whether you agree with this or not..
it WORKS. IBM and the clone market has really become a mess of incompatible
products with a lack of true direction and control. Letting Adobe control a
piece of the guarded system software/hardware design of an Apple machine would
be deadly to the market.

Matthew Montano - A TRUE apple guru, who will never give up his Apple //.

ProLine: sysop@pro-generic        |DDN :crash!pnet01!pro-generic!sysop
InterNet:sysop@pro-generic.cts.com|UUCP: hplabs!crash!pnet01!pro-generic!root

nazgul@obsolete.UUCP (Kee Hinckley) (05/20/89)

    controlled by a third party. Not one piece of the Apple // and Macintosh setup
    (system software, hardware etc.) is owned or copyrighted by another company.

On the contrary.  One piece is, and Apple will never let it happen
again.  The Basic interpreter in the Apple ][ is licensed from
Microsoft.  Ever wonder why Apple never put out a Basic for the
Mac?  The rumour mill says that they were going to, and that in
fact the program does exist, but it would have competed with Microsoft
Basic on the Mac, and Microsoft threatened to pull the AppleSoft
license if they released.

Mind you this is all rumour, and one shouldn't believe what you
hear.  But that's what it said in the article I read.  And if
true that would certainly explain Apple's reluctance to let it
happen again.

					-kee

Home:	obsolete!nazgul@bloom-beacon.mit.edu
Work:	nazgul@apollo.com
BBS:	obsolete!pro-angmar!nazgul@bloom-beacon.mit.edu
	    or
	nazgul@pro-angmar.cts.com  (somewhat slower though)
	617/641-3722 (300/1200/2400)

-------

>  But really, why would Apple let a piece of the proprietry setup be
>controlled by a third party. Not one piece of the Apple // and Macintosh setup
>(system software, hardware etc.) is owned or copyrighted by another company.

On the other hand, while they own less than 50%, I believe Apple is Adobe's
largest single stockholder.  Apple probably owns enough to effectively
exercise control if a proxy fight developed (John D. Rockefeller won a famous
proxy fight involving Standard Oil while owning but 11% of the shares himself,
or through his family).

The situation is far from the same as the dispute with Bill Gates (who DOES
own a controlling interest in Microsoft) over Mac Basic.  IF Microsoft
had attempted to void the license for Applesoft, they probably would have
been vulnerable to an anti-trust complaint (Robinson-Patman is a REAL
minefield :-) but the issue would have taken YEARS and LOTS of money
to settle (easier just to let Microsoft have the market for language
software).

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (05/24/89)

In article <8905200427.AA23433@obsolete.UUCP> nazgul@obsolete.UUCP (Kee Hinckley) writes:
>Basic on the Mac, and Microsoft threatened to pull the AppleSoft
>license if they released.

If Apple really was so stupid as to have signed a contract that gave
the other side the option of annuling the agreement at their whim,
then they deserve to suffer.

HHWON00@RICE.BITNET (05/24/89)

Actually, Apple did release a Basic for the Mac, cleverly named MacBASIC, but
Microsoft also released their MBASIC for the computer also (almost the same
time).  The Microsoft BASIC more accepted than MacBASIC because, well, the
name.  A lot of people (at Apple, I hear) were VERY upset because of this.

-Henry