[comp.sys.apple] Applesoft from DOS 3.3 to ProDOS

tomj@pro-pac.cts.com (Tom Jenkins) (05/24/89)

Help!  I am trying to rewrite an old Dos 3.3 Applesoft program and the darned
thing gets stuck in several places.  I need help in converting the following
from old 3.3 to ProDos:
the "&" sign - I know this is a call, can another be used?
the "& BELL" to ring the bell
I get an "NO BUFFERS AVAILABLE" when I try to run it.  Can I type "FREE"?
How do I convert "PRINT CHR$(4);"BRUN CODE" when CODE is the program I want to
run?
How do I load binary files?  In 3.3, it was "PRINT CHR$(4);"BLOAD WHATEVER"
How do I type the prefix for the disk on line?

And probably the best question of all - Is there some publication that I can
get that will explain the above?  Specifically the marrage between ProDOS and
Applesoft?  One that will tell me about all the ins and outs of basic
programming with ProDOS?

Thanks in advance for the time and effort of a response...

--
UUCP: {nosc, cacilj, sdcsvax, hplabs!hp-sdd, sun.COM}
                        ...!crash!pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-pac!tomj

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (05/25/89)

In article <8905240736.AA18691@crash.cts.com> pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-pac!tomj@nosc.mil writes:
>Help!  I am trying to rewrite an old Dos 3.3 Applesoft program and the darned
>thing gets stuck in several places.  I need help in converting the following
>from old 3.3 to ProDos:
>the "&" sign - I know this is a call, can another be used?

As far as Applesoft is concerned, "&" is just a command that jumps to $3F5.
There must be a binary file with your program containing some machine
language utilities.

>the "& BELL" to ring the bell

That would be part of the abovementioned binary file.  You could probably just
"PRINT CHR$(7);" instead.

>I get an "NO BUFFERS AVAILABLE" when I try to run it.  Can I type "FREE"?

NO BUFFERS AVAILABLE probably means you're trying to BLOAD (or BRUN) something
at an address that is already in use by BASIC.SYSTEM.  This is probably the
machine language "&" package.

Under BASIC.SYSTEM you can't just move HIMEM down the same way you could under
DOS 3.3.

>How do I convert "PRINT CHR$(4);"BRUN CODE" when CODE is the program I want to
>run?
>How do I load binary files?  In 3.3, it was "PRINT CHR$(4);"BLOAD WHATEVER"

These BLOADs and BRUNs shouldn't need modification, except as required by any
rearranging of memory usage that you need to do.

>How do I type the prefix for the disk on line?

BASIC.SYSTEM is designed to behave like DOS 3.3 *until* you use the PREFIX
command.  You can still use ,S and ,D options to access devices by slot and
drive.

>And probably the best question of all - Is there some publication that I can
>get that will explain the above?  Specifically the marrage between ProDOS and
>Applesoft?  One that will tell me about all the ins and outs of basic
>programming with ProDOS?

There's a book called _BASIC Programming With ProDOS_ that would be immensely
helpful.  Addison-Wesley.

There are no doubt other books, and back issues of Open-Apple/A2-Central are
always good.

>UUCP: {nosc, cacilj, sdcsvax, hplabs!hp-sdd, sun.COM}
>                        ...!crash!pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-pac!tomj
>ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-pac!tomj@nosc.MIL
>INET: tomj@pro-pac.CTS.COM - BITNET: pro-pac.UUCP!tomj@PSUVAX1

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.