[comp.sys.apple] HEADERS

ALBRO@NIEHS.BITNET (05/24/89)

Andy Nicholas <CsNET: Shrinkit@moravian.edu> writes:
[several layers of >> quotes skipped]
>I am extremely opposed to any move to have ShrinkIT automatically add
>a Binary II header to the files IT creates.  In my opinion, that
>should be the job of the terminal program transmitting these files,
>just as it is done in the Macintosh community.  In this I whole-
>heartedly agree with Don Elton.

Maybe there is some confusion here, but if not, I wholeheartedly
disagree with the second half of this.  I send files to many sites
other than The Source, GEnie, etc, including from my office to my
lab.  I do not want those files altered in any way by the comm
program!  If I want any kind of header attached to the files, I
will add it myself.  I can not _depend_ on the receiver automatically
and reliably stripping an "extraneous" header.  What happens with a
real Binary II file?  Two Binary II headers during transmission so
one can be stripped (maybe) by the receiver?

Since many Apple files wind up stored on another brand of computer
that doesn't store ProDOS filetypes anyway, once a header has been
stripped, the return of the file will be typeless (def.=txt)
anyway.

It is not necessary to turn automatic Binary II unpacking off while
receiving a NuFX archive anyway.  The comm program will see that it
is not Binary II and not try to unpack it.  The BBS (or whatever)
index should contain the information (NuFX, Binary II, DDD or
whatever); if not, every user should _use_ the recommended file
name extensions (.SHK, .BNY, .BQY, .LBR, etc) so the recipient will
know what unpacker to use.  In that regard I uploaded (to ALPE) a
simple utility to check downloaded files and identify the program
used to archive it (called ARCHIVE.ID).  It will identify files
packed with ShrinkIT, BLU, ALU, The Librarian, DDD, DDD.PRO, PBH,
DigiPack.GS, DDDeluxe, and I forget the others.  It doesn't look
at the file type/auxtype entries in the directory, so doesn't
care if everything is type TXT.  Oh, yes, also ACU.

If you want a comm program to automatically add a Binary II header
during uploading, you can always use Freeterm.GS or MouseTalk.
Personally, I have never found that useful.

Flames to: ALBRO@NIEHS.BITNET.  Thanks.

-Phil Albro-

delton@pro-carolina.UUCP (Don Elton) (05/26/89)

Network Comment: to #3018 by obsolete!ALBRO%NIEHS.BITNET%cunyvm.cuny.edu

Re: BNY headers added by comm programs.  Whenever TIC gets around to
automatically adding BNY headers it won't add them to existing BNY files and
it will allow you to optionally turn off the feature for cases where you don't
need or want it added.  The default will be to add it though you can easily
change the default in the startup script file if so desired.

UUCP: [ sdcsvax nosc ] !crash!pro-carolina!delton
ARPA: crash!pro-carolina!delton@nosc.mil
INET: delton@pro-carolina.cts.com

Pro-Carolina: 803-776-3936 (300-2400 baud, login as 'register')
     US Mail: 3207 Berkeley Forest Drive, Columbia, SC  29209-4111