[comp.sys.apple] License from Apple cont..

MSER001@ECNCDC.BITNET (05/23/89)

Also note that the APDAlog, Spring 1989; states on page c-12 that the GSBug
and Debugging Tools version 4.0b1 require a license from apple before shipping
a product, but page c-2 Apple II system disk v 3.1 does not state this.
Nor does page c-14 say that the Apple IIGS system disk v4.0 need to be
licensed from apple to ship with a product.  It does not even mention anything
about this.  BUT...System Software v6.0.3 (page c-43) does state that you
must License before shipping the system software with a product.

Now my question is...why does only the Macintosh system software require
a license from apple according to the APDA catalog?  Don't they like the
II series OS software or what?  How am I to know what the truth actually is,
when my only source of information which is directly from Apple tells me
nothing?  I be confused again...it must be ongoing.

scott hutinger   mser001@ecncdc.bitnet

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (05/24/89)

In article <8905231046.aa01203@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> MSER001@ECNCDC.BITNET writes:
[...]
>Now my question is...why does only the Macintosh system software require
>a license from apple according to the APDA catalog?  Don't they like the
>II series OS software or what?  How am I to know what the truth actually is,
>when my only source of information which is directly from Apple tells me
>nothing?  I be confused again...it must be ongoing.
>
>scott hutinger   mser001@ecncdc.bitnet

I haven't looked in the APDAlog to verify this stuff, but it sounds incomplete.
You *do* need to license the Apple IIgs or Apple II System Disk if you want
to distribute GS/OS or ProDOS stuff with your product.

For the most accurate information about software licensing, contact the
Software Licensing people at (408) 974-4667 or Apple Computer Inc, 20525
Mariani Ave MS: 38I, Cupertino CA 95014, ATTN: Software Licensing Department.

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

prw@meccts.MECC.MN.ORG (Paul Wenker) (05/25/89)

In article <8905231046.aa01203@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> MSER001@ECNCDC.BITNET writes:
>Now my question is...why does only the Macintosh system software require
>a license from apple according to the APDA catalog?  Don't they like the
>II series OS software or what?  How am I to know what the truth actually is,
>when my only source of information which is directly from Apple tells me
>nothing?  I be confused again...it must be ongoing.
>
>scott hutinger   mser001@ecncdc.bitnet

Despite what the APDA catalog says (or doesn't say), you do need a
license to ship any part of the GS system disk with your product.
This was also true of DOS 3.3.  The license fee is quite reasonable.
The last time I looked, it was $50-$100 per product per year.

-Paul Wenker			UUCP: prw@mecc.mn.org
-MECC, Advanced Development	AppleLink: MECC.TECH

MSER001@ECNCDC.BITNET (05/26/89)

>Despite what the APDA catalog says (or doesn't say), you do need a
>license to ship any part of the GS system disk with your product.
>This was also true of DOS 3.3.  The license fee is quite reasonable.
>The last time I looked, it was $50-$100 per product per year.

I contacted software licensing today, and am receiving a packet of information
about such.  But, APDA really should have the licensing information for
the II series, and not just the Macintosh.

Another person almost slipped through licensing Apples OS, since the information
is not availabe through what I thought of as "normal channels".  I hope that
since APDA is now an officially Apple, that the information will be updated
in the future.  As I was under the impression that ADPA was now Apple, and they
knew how to get the correct information.

Oh well, live and learn.  And always contact the Correct dept.

>-Paul Wenker                    UUCP: prw@mecc.mn.org
>-MECC, Advanced Development     AppleLink: MECC.TECH

Scott Hutinger     mser001@ecncdc.bitnet

(Hey, I think I got it right this time Murph!  Well sort of...)