[comp.sys.apple] II+ and IIe binaries

abc@BRL.MIL (Brinton Cooper) (05/15/89)

Folks,

	My wife has just "inherited" an Apple II+ with one drive and a
parallel printer card; no other card slots are occupied.  A few
questions immediately arose:

	We've found that none of the binary programs that she uses on
her IIE will run.  They don't even start up correctly. When we invoke
one of them, it doesn't even begin to execute.	Can anyone give me some
clues as to the cause?  She'd like to obtain software that she also uses
on the IIE; this is a classroom operation.  Some of her commercial
programs assert that  they'll run on any II-class machine, but we cannnot
make these run either; nor will any of the public domain binaries from
Big Red run on the II+.

	I've noticed that the catalogs sell II+ ROM sets.  Was there an
"upgrade" somewhere along the way?

	Can Prodos be made to run on a II+?

	What modifications are required to get lower case operation?

	Thanks, all.

_Brint

>   My wife has just "inherited" an Apple II+ with one drive and a
>parallel printer card; no other card slots are occupied.  A few
>questions immediately arose:
>
>   We've found that none of the binary programs that she uses on
>her IIE will run.

If NO other slots are occupied, then what you have is a 48K II+ -- first
problem is to order a 16K language card.  Still in the mail order ads I
think.

ProDOS WILL run on a II+, but it has to be patched to do so (I don't have
the patch handy, but you'll probably get 47 copies from various folks before
sundown :-)

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

In article <8905150022.aa13323@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> (Murph Sewall) writes:

>ProDOS WILL run on a II+, but it has to be patched to do so (I don't have
>the patch handy, but you'll probably get 47 copies from various folks before
>sundown :-)

It will too!  ProDOS continues to work on any Apple II+ or greater with 64K.
No patches required.

>Murph Sewall          Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
>Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
>Business School       sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
>U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
>           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]
>
>-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could
>            (subject to change without notice; void where prohibited)

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions expressed in this tome
Send PERSONAL mail ONLY (please) to:  | should not be construed to imply that
AppleLink PE: Matt DTS  GEnie: AIIDTS | Apple Computer, Inc., or any of its
CompuServe: 76703,3030                | subsidiaries, in whole or in part,
Usenet:  mattd@apple.com              | have any opinion on any subject."
UUCP:  (other stuff)!ames!apple!mattd | "So there."

>Patches? Patches?! We don't need no stinking patches! ProDOS is fully
>functional on my Apple ][+ with a 16K RAM card in slot 0 and the autostart ROMs
>(from an old Applesoft ROM card) on the motherboard.
>
>Michael Ziober

Oops (guess who's never owned a II+ -- and has a faulty memory).  It's
AppleWorks which needs the patches to run on a II+ (and possibly some other
applications need patches too).

Two other points about running //e software on a II+.  Recent //e software
often requires 128K (I don't know of any way to "fool" the software into
accepting RAM expansion cards available for the II+), and some //e software
requires an 'enhanced' //e (although some of those programs will work if a
65C02 is present AND you can install a 65C02 in a II+ <at modest expense>).

paul@athertn.Atherton.COM (Paul Sander) (05/16/89)

In article <8905150022.aa13323@SMOKE.BRL.MIL>, SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (Murph Sewall) writes:
> >   My wife has just "inherited" an Apple II+ with one drive and a
> >parallel printer card; no other card slots are occupied.  A few
> >questions immediately arose:
> >
> >   We've found that none of the binary programs that she uses on
> >her IIE will run.
>
> If NO other slots are occupied, then what you have is a 48K II+ -- first
> problem is to order a 16K language card.  Still in the mail order ads I
> think.
>
> ProDOS WILL run on a II+, but it has to be patched to do so (I don't have
> the patch handy, but you'll probably get 47 copies from various folks before
> sundown :-)

One source for 16K RAM cards is JDR Microsystems on Bascom Ave. in San Jose,
CA.  I just bought one from them in February.  These cards come with a one-
year warantee.  They also carry DISK ][ compatible disk controller that boot
both 13- and 16- sector diskettes.

Early versions of ProDOS will run on the ][ Plus -- I have version 1.0.2 and
have had no problems with it so far.  However, it is no longer sold.  I got
my copy from an authorized Apple dealer who just duplicated an old master
and gave it to me without documentation for no charge.

I have no connection with JDR other than having been a satisfied customer for
some years now.
--
Paul Sander        (408) 734-9822       | Do YOU get nervous when a
paul@Atherton.COM                       | sys{op,adm,prg,engr} says

express@pro-sol.cts.com (Jeff Goodman) (05/18/89)

Network Comment: to #7213 by pnet01!crash!BRL.MIL!abc

It could be the memory.  Even though alot of programs will run on both
machines (if they claim that) most commercial programs require at least 64K,
the basic II+ only came with 48K.  There are all kinds of upgrades to be had
but you need to read the software packages carefully, those that require
double hi resolution will not run the the II+ regardless of the amount of
memory you have.

paul@pro-europa.cts.com (Paul Hutmacher) (05/18/89)

Network Comment: to #2455 by pnet01!crash!cunyvm.cuny.edu!SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET

| ProDOS WILL run on a II+, but it has to be patched to do so (I don't have
| the patch handy, but you'll probably get 47 copies from various folks before
| sundown :-)

I don't even think you'll need a patch to run prodos on a ][+ as long as you
have 64k (read 48k on the board and a language card in slot 0).

Give that a try first.

paul@pro-europa.cts.com                       |   "Open the pod bay door HAL"
...!crash!pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-europa!paul   |  "Sorry Dave, I can't do that"

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (05/19/89)

In article <8905181636.AA01926@crash.cts.com> pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-europa!paul@nosc.mil writes:
>Network Comment: to #2455 by pnet01!crash!cunyvm.cuny.edu!SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET
>
>| ProDOS WILL run on a II+, but it has to be patched to do so (I don't have
>| the patch handy, but you'll probably get 47 copies from various folks before
>| sundown :-)
>
>I don't even think you'll need a patch to run prodos on a ][+ as long as you
>have 64k (read 48k on the board and a language card in slot 0).

Correct:  no patches are necessary to run ProDOS 8 on an Apple II+.  Just make
sure you have at least 16K in slot 0, and make sure you are *not* using ProDOS 8
version 1.3 (it had a 65C02 instruction in there accidentally, making it fry in
entertaining ways on a II+ or unenhanced IIe).

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

brianw@microsoft.UUCP (Brian Willoughby) (05/19/89)

In article <3142@athertn.Atherton.COM> paul@athertn.Atherton.COM (Paul Sander) writes:
>Early versions of ProDOS will run on the ][ Plus -- I have version 1.0.2 and
>have had no problems with it so far.  However, it is no longer sold.  I got
>my copy from an authorized Apple dealer who just duplicated an old master
>and gave it to me without documentation for no charge.
>
>--
>Paul Sander
>paul@Atherton.COM
>{decwrl,sun,hplabs!hpda}!athertn!paul

I recently purchased ORCA/M for my II Plus/Applesoft clone. ORCA is based on
ProDOS 8 v1.2, and it runs with no modification on my 64K home-made clone.

I am curious as to how Apple feels about copying ProDOS for no charge,
since my ORCA package warned that I should not use ProDOS 8 when not booting
the ORCA disk, and they even said I shouldn't copy it to any of my other disks!

Brian Willoughby
uw-beaver!microsoft!brianw

jim@pro-nebulous.UUCP (System Administrator) (05/21/89)

Network Comment: to #1624 by pnet01!crash!BRL.MIL!abc

To use lower case on a II+ you need two things.  You need an enhanced video
chip and a piece of wire to modify the keyboard.  If you can't find a video
chip e-mail me and I can get you one for $25.

To do the keyboard mod take a piece of wire (Radio Shcak has one with
mini-chip leads that works great, part number 278-016.)  Connect it from pin 1
one the 74LS251 chip.  If you are looking at it from the front it is the one
right in front of the game i/o port.  Pin one is in the lower right hand
corner.  Connect the other end to pin 24 of the keyboard encoder.  Right under
the keyboard you will see 25 parallel wires and 1 is closest to the power
supply so the 24th is the second from the right.  Real easy.  With that you
can type in lowercase but you still can't see it with out the video chip.

One other thing is that unless the software recognises the video chip and is
configured for the shift key mod, none of this will work.

   /                               |                                   /
   |        Jim Goddard            |  The mind commands the body and   |
   | Snail: 1189 Forest Brook Ct.  |   it obeys.  The mind orders      |
   |  mail: Marietta, Ga.  30068   |   itself and meets resistance.    |
   |_______________________________|         - Isaac Asimov            |
  /                                |__________________________________/
  | ProLine:  jim@pro-nebulous                                        |
  | UUCP: crash!pnet01!pro-party!pro-nebulous!jim                     |
  | ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-party!pro-nebulous!jim@nosc.mil            |
  | INET: jim@pro-nebulous.cts.com                                    |
  | ALPE: NW Man                     Delphi:  JGODDARD                |
 /___________________________________________________________________/

In article brianw@microsoft.UUCP (Brian Willoughby) writes:

>I am curious as to how Apple feels about copying ProDOS for no charge,
>since my ORCA package warned that I should not use ProDOS 8 when not booting
>the ORCA disk, and they even said I shouldn't copy it to any of my other disks!
>
>Brian Willoughby
>uw-beaver!microsoft!brianw

This is a standard part of the Apple Software Licensing agreement - it
basically says that Byte Works licensed the software for use with ORCA, and
your purchase of ORCA doesn't give you free reign to do with the Apple
software as you please.  Of course, this isn't an official interpretation,
but it's part of all Apple Software Licensing agreements that I've ever
seen.

(Those people who would like to ship ProDOS or GS/OS with their own software
need to contact Apple's Software Licensing dept. at (408) 974-4667.)

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions expressed in this tome
Send PERSONAL mail ONLY (please) to:  | should not be construed to imply that
AppleLink PE: Matt DTS  GEnie: AIIDTS | Apple Computer, Inc., or any of its
CompuServe: 76703,3030                | subsidiaries, in whole or in part,
Usenet:  mattd@apple.com              | have any opinion on any subject."
UUCP:  (other stuff)!ames!apple!mattd | "So there."

lwv@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG (Larry Virden) (05/28/89)

Matt, is there a way that User Groups can license the prodos, gs/os and
dos 3.3 software so that they can put it on their library disks?  If so,
who would they contact about this?  Thanks!

--
Larry Virden  via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP:  ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!lwv