[comp.sys.apple] Senate Bill S.198

davidbrierley@lynx.northeastern.edu (05/26/89)

Here is what the S.198 says:

To amend title 17, United States Code, the Copyright Act to protect

		certain computer programs.

	Be it enacted by the Senate and the House of Representatives of

the United States of America in Congress assembled, That this Act be cited

as the "computer Software Rental Amendments Act of 1989."

	SEC. 2. Section 109(b) of title 17, United States Code, is

amended by --

	  (1) amending paragraph (1) to read as follows:

	"(b)(1) Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (a), unless

authorized by the owners of copyright in the sound recording or the owner

of copyright in a computer program (including any tape, disk, or other

medium embodying such program), and in the case of a sound recording in

the musical works embodied therein, neither the owner of a particular copy

of a computer program (including any tape, disk, or other medium

embodying such program), may, for the purposes of direct or indirect

commercial advantage, dispose of, or authorize the disposal of, the

possession of that phonorecord or computer program (including any tape,

disk, or other medium embodying such program) by rental, lease, or

lending.  Nothing in the preceding sentence shall apply to the rental,

lease, or lending of a phonorecord for nonprofit purposes by a nonprofit

library or nonprofit educational institution."; and

	  (2) amending paragraph (3) to read as follows:

	"(3) Any person who distributes a phonorecord or a copy of a

computer program (including any tape, disk, or other medium embodying

such program) in violation of clause (1) is an infringer of copyright

under section 501 of this title and is subject to the remedies set forth

in sections 502, 503, 504, 505, and 509.  Such violations shall not be a

criminal offense under section 506 or cause such person to be subject

to the criminal penalties set forth in section 2319 of title 18."

nazgul@obsolete.UUCP (Kee Hinckley) (05/26/89)

    	"(3) Any person who distributes a phonorecord or a copy of a

    computer program (including any tape, disk, or other medium embodying
						   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    such program) in violation of clause (1) is an infringer of copyright
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^

But wait.  My *toaster* probably embodies a computer program!

Home:	obsolete!nazgul@bloom-beacon.mit.edu
Work:	nazgul@apollo.com
BBS:	obsolete!pro-angmar!nazgul@bloom-beacon.mit.edu
	    or
	nazgul@pro-angmar.cts.com  (somewhat slower though)
	617/641-3722 (300/1200/2400)

-------

rang@cpsin3.cps.msu.edu (Anton Rang) (05/26/89)

In article <memo.131326@lynx.northeastern.edu> davidbrierley@lynx.northeastern.edu writes:
>Here is what the S.198 says:

 [ ... ]
>the musical works embodied therein, neither the owner of a particular copy

>of a computer program (including any tape, disk, or other medium

>embodying such program), may, for the purposes of direct or indirect
  			       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>commercial advantage, dispose of, or authorize the disposal of, the
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>possession of that phonorecord or computer program (including any tape,

>disk, or other medium embodying such program) by rental, lease, or

>lending.

  If I'm interpreting this correctly, this means that non-profit
groups (i.e. libraries, user groups, etc.) can still loan out
programs.  Just businesses can't.  Maybe this will kill the rampant
piracy in the IBM world based on the mail-order places where you pay
$5 to get a Lotus/Word/??? disk for a week....

+---------------------------+------------------------+
| Anton Rang (grad student) | "VMS Forever!"         |
| Michigan State University | rang@cpswh.cps.msu.edu |
+---------------------------+------------------------+

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (05/28/89)

In article <8905261424.AA22018@obsolete.UUCP> nazgul@obsolete.UUCP (Kee Hinckley) writes:
>But wait.  My *toaster* probably embodies a computer program!

So, if you distribute a copy of the program in your toaster, you're
violating the Copyright on that program.  What's the problem?

nazgul@obsolete.UUCP (Kee Hinckley) (05/28/89)

> In article <8905261424.AA22018@obsolete.UUCP> nazgul@obsolete.UUCP (Kee Hinckley) writes:
> >But wait.  My *toaster* probably embodies a computer program!
>
> So, if you distribute a copy of the program in your toaster, you're
> violating the Copyright on that program.  What's the problem?

No, the bill doesn't say that you can't *copy* the program.  It says
that you can't rent/lease/lend for profit *any* copy of the program,
including the original.

    ...the owner of a particular copy
    of a computer program (including any tape, disk, or other medium
    embodying such program), may, for the purposes of direct or indirect
    commercial advantage, dispose of, or authorize the disposal of, the
    possession of that phonorecord or computer program (including any tape,
    disk, or other medium embodying such program) by rental, lease, or
    lending.

Admittedly no one is likely to come after me for renting toasters,
but this does make it illegal, and I have trouble conceiving of a way
to phrase it that takes into account future media, yet doesn't make
it illegal to do things they didn't intend.  The problem is what
they really mean is "you can't lend/lease/rent anything it's easy
for someone to copy".  But the definition of "easy" changes over time.

						-kee

Home:	obsolete!nazgul@bloom-beacon.mit.edu
Work:	nazgul@apollo.com
BBS:	obsolete!pro-angmar!nazgul@bloom-beacon.mit.edu
	    or
	nazgul@pro-angmar.cts.com  (somewhat slower though)
	617/641-3722 (300/1200/2400)

-------

>>But wait.  My *toaster* probably embodies a computer program!
>
>So, if you distribute a copy of the program in your toaster, you're
>violating the Copyright on that program.  What's the problem?

Under the law, you'd be able to give away the toaster when it becomes
obsolete, but if you sell it at a yard sale, you've commited a felony :-(

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

paul@athertn.Atherton.COM (Paul Sander) (05/30/89)

In article <10335@smoke.BRL.MIL>, gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:
> In article <8905261424.AA22018@obsolete.UUCP> nazgul@obsolete.UUCP (Kee Hinckley) writes:
> >But wait.  My *toaster* probably embodies a computer program!
>
> So, if you distribute a copy of the program in your toaster, you're
> violating the Copyright on that program.  What's the problem?

No, if you *loan* your toaster to a friend who may *buy* it from you, you
are in violation of the Copyright on that program.  Remember, the bill
states that programs can't be distributed in *any* medium, including
toasters.
--
Paul Sander        (408) 734-9822       | Do YOU get nervous when a
paul@Atherton.COM                       | sys{op,adm,prg,engr} says