[comp.sys.apple] Kermit and Modems

MTHUR000@TUFTS.BITNET (05/26/89)

I have found your e-mail address in some documentation for Apple
Kermit, and I would like to ask some questions.

At present I have an old 1200-baud modem (Era-2, by Microcom)
which I cannot get to run Kermit or anything except the
proprietary software that came with it.  I want to replace it
with a 2400-baud modem; my problem is that I want to be sure
that it will run Kermit with my Apple 2E.

Can you tell me whether Kermit is fussy about modems, so that
I will know whether or not I have a real worry here?  I have
been unable to find anyone that is actually using Kermit with
a 2E.  It would be even better if you could tell me any modems
that you know work; I have been considering buying an
Epic 2400 Classic II or a Prometheus Promodem 2400A.

One more thing: an article in the May 1989 issue of A-Plus says that
a commercial software program called ProTERM includes a
Kermit protocol.  Do you know anything about this?

I will appreciate very much any information that you can
give me.
                             Sincerely yours,
                             Bill Reynolds

>I have found your e-mail address in some documentation for Apple
>Kermit, and I would like to ask some questions.

What version (the current version is 3.85; depending on how old a Kermit
you have, you may or may not be able to get it to work with an ERA2).

>At present I have an old 1200-baud modem (Era-2, by Microcom)
>which I cannot get to run Kermit or anything except the
>proprietary software that came with it.  I want to replace it

The ERA2 appears to software to be a Hayes (clone) Smartmodem attached
to a Super Serial card (setup most other comm programs for SSC and Hayes
and they'll work fine).  I don't recall whether the ERA2 supports interrupts
or not -- if not, you'll have to tell Kermit to use the Microtek 622
driver and put up with the flow control problems -- you'll be able to
download files however).

>with a 2400-baud modem; my problem is that I want to be sure
>that it will run Kermit with my Apple 2E.

The issue is the serial card rather than the modem.  If you use a REAL
Super Serial card or a clone that's close enough to support interrupts,
Kermit will work; HOWEVER if you haven't enhanced your //e AND your host
doesn't support X-ON/X-OFF, then you'll still having some annoying character
losses for which enhancing the //e is the only fix that really works.

>Can you tell me whether Kermit is fussy about modems, so that
>I will know whether or not I have a real worry here?  I have
>been unable to find anyone that is actually using Kermit with
>a 2E.  It would be even better if you could tell me any modems

You have just 'found' perhaps 200 users of Kermit with //e's :-)

>that you know work; I have been considering buying an
>Epic 2400 Classic II or a Prometheus Promodem 2400A.

I trust someone else will tell you whether those, and other internal modems
support interrupts (otherwise they appear to software as Hayes & SSC).

>One more thing: an article in the May 1989 issue of A-Plus says that
>a commercial software program called ProTERM includes a
>Kermit protocol.  Do you know anything about this?

The Kermit protocol in older versions of ProTERM (which some mail order
houses may still be selling) has some bugs in it.  I'm told that the
VT100 emulation in Columbia's public domain Kermit is better, but whether
that's a problem or not depends on how picky your host is about EXACT
emulation.  Kermit-65 sure costs a LOT less :-)

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

ch1@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Chris Helferty) (05/31/89)

In article <8905261104.aa05274@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> MTHUR000@TUFTS.BITNET writes:

>Can you tell me whether Kermit is fussy about modems, so that
>I will know whether or not I have a real worry here?  I have
>been unable to find anyone that is actually using Kermit with
>a 2E.  It would be even better if you could tell me any modems
>that you know work; I have been considering buying an
>Epic 2400 Classic II or a Prometheus Promodem 2400A.

I have an old Prometheus Promodem 1200A and it works just fine with
Kermit.  The only thing I can say about getting an internal modem for a
IIe is that you might want to invest in a cooling fan, too.  My
Prometheus can get quite warm in there and cause weird things to happen
on hot summer nights.  Pretty rare occurrences, though.

				Jon Pearsall
				University of Pittsburgh
				NASA Industrial Applications Center