[comp.sys.apple] CarpetBagger NDA & AW 2.0 Incompatibility?

shatara@memit.dec.com (Chris Shatara) (06/02/89)

Has any one experienced any problems with Appleworks V2.0 when the Carpet
Bagger NDA is installed.  I had Carpet Bag and Cache NDA's installed on my
System Disk 4.0  After a few days, I tried to run Appleworks.  It began to
run and then it bombed...shortly after the Prodos 8 startup screen.

I have the no Beagle Bros utilites or anyother AW enhancement tool. The
only patches I have are one patch for pulling in the date from the //gs
and the other to bypass the need for hitting the space bar.  (these are
the first two items of AppleworksPatcher 3.0 routine).  AW had been
running fine for over a year with these patches.

Any experience here?

/chris shatara

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (06/02/89)

In article <211@mountn.dec.com> shatara@memit.dec.com (Chris Shatara) writes:

>Has any one experienced any problems with Appleworks V2.0 when the Carpet
>Bagger NDA is installed.  I had Carpet Bag and Cache NDA's installed on my
>System Disk 4.0  After a few days, I tried to run Appleworks.  It began to
>run and then it bombed...shortly after the Prodos 8 startup screen.

AppleWorks 2.0 calls DeskStartup on the GS, which it shouldn't do.  This,
in turn, calls the Init routines of all NDAs installed, which is bad
because those routines are allowed to assume that the desktop environment
is all set up for them.  Crashes can easily result.

Patches have been published (in A2-Central and, I think, inCider) to stop
AppleWorks from calling DeskStartup.

Try upgrading to AppleWorks 2.1 or patching out the DeskStartup in AW2.0.

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.