[comp.sys.apple] Slot 3 and Aux slot conflicts

henigan@quando.UUCP (06/01/89)

A quick question,

I have an 128K enhanced //e with an Apple 64k extended 80-col card in
the aux slot, what cards ( type of card) can I put in slot 3, a ram
card, acelerator card, clock card, Z80 card, coms card? etc.

Any help comments will be appreciated, replies to this info-apple list,
I read it every day, or by e-mail.

 Kevin Henigan. Bitnet:   UNIDO!quando!henigan OR henigan%quando@UNIDO(.bitnet)
  Quantum GmbH  UUCP:     {backbone}!unido!quando!henigan OR henigan@quando.uucp
    Dortmund    internet: mitvma.mit.edu!UNIDO.bitnet!quando!henigan
    Germany     internet: henigan%quando%UNIDO.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu

>I have an 128K enhanced //e with an Apple 64k extended 80-col card in
>the aux slot, what cards ( type of card) can I put in slot 3, a ram
>card, acelerator card, clock card, Z80 card, coms card? etc.

Generally, anything that doesn't have to be accessed via on-board ROM
will work (I have an accelerator in my slot 3).  A Z-80 card definately
won't work, methinks accessing a RAM disk in slot 3 would confuse many
programs that (sometimes) can use the AUX memory already in slot 3 as
RAM space.  I wonder if a Super Serial Card (which DOES have a ROM that
can be accessed from Applesoft with the card in a another slot) would work
if you ONLY used a comm program that bypasses the ROM?

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (06/02/89)

In article <8906010109.aa19127@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (Murph Sewall) writes:
> [...] methinks accessing a RAM disk in slot 3 would confuse many
>programs that (sometimes) can use the AUX memory already in slot 3 as
>RAM space.

There's a ProDOS 8 Technote defining a convention that allows programs to
tell the difference between a slot3 RAMdisk that uses Aux Memory and one
that doesn't.

I don't know how well this works in practice--there may be 3rd-party RAMdisk
drivers that don't follow the convention.

Anyway, this question is separate from the one of using non-disk cards in
slot 3.  There's no interference between a "slot 3" RAMdisk and the physical
slot 3.

>             I wonder if a Super Serial Card (which DOES have a ROM that
>can be accessed from Applesoft with the card in a another slot) would work
>[in slot 3] if you ONLY used a comm program that bypasses the ROM?

Yup, it will work if your comm program lets you configure it to use a serial
card in slot 3.

>Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
>Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
>Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
>U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
>           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

finder@pnet51.cts.com (Cris Breece) (06/02/89)

        It depends on how the card was designed and how it works.....
most cards will tell you wether or not you can use it in slot 3.  A large
quantaty of the AE cards will work in slot 3.

UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, uunet!rosevax, chinet, killer}!orbit!pnet51!finder
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!finder@nosc.mil
INET: finder@pnet51.cts.com