[comp.sys.apple] 8^

sher@cs.Buffalo.EDU (David Sher) (06/02/89)

Does anyone know how this was implemented in the old Applesoft Basic?
I'm willing to take an answer about any micros though.  I need to know
how they actually did it (there are three or four possible ways) not how
they were likely to have done it.  If you can tell me you'll get honorable
mention on a paper we are writing on how to use the weaknesses of computer
arithmetic to teach pre-calculus.
-David Sher
-David Sher
ARPA: sher@cs.buffalo.edu	BITNET: sher@sunybcs
UUCP: {rutgers,ames,boulder,decvax}!sunybcs!sher

aash@ms.uky.edu (aash) (06/02/89)

In article <6226@cs.Buffalo.EDU> sher@cs.Buffalo.EDU (David Sher) writes:
>Does anyone know how this was implemented in the old Applesoft Basic?
>(8 ^ (1/3)

I was always under the impression that they
used logs to calculate this kind of thing,
but of course I could be wrong.
Call it an educated guess?

aash

--
aash@ms.uky.edu, aash@ukma.bitnet    |"It's important to me that you know you |
(FTP archive at 128.163.128.6)       | are free, 'cause I never want to make  |