[comp.sys.apple] Appletalk on an GS and Appleshare

"@UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU (06/01/89)

I'd be interested to know if the new Appletalk FST and other Appletalk prgrams
on the new system disk require any modifications to Appleshare 2.0.

Specifically, there are several software programs (along with the hardware to
hook up to the Appletalk network) that run on the (gasp) IBM and act as an
Appleshare file server. Taking into account that they will run on an "AT" type
machine, and hard disk storage is cheaper over on the IBM side of the world,
it would be cheaper in the long run to set up an Appletalk network with the
IBM as the server.

I'd be extremely interested to see if anyone has successfully used a GS with
one of the IBM Appleshare work-alikes.

If there is interest, I'll post any replies to the net.

                                          Kevin Black

  UUCP: crash!pro-newfrontier!kblack
  ARPA: crash!pro-newfrontier!kblack@nosc.mil
  INET: kblack@pro-newfrontier.cts.com

"Progress doesn't enlighten people - It just makes them stupid in new ways"

jazzman@claris.com (Sydney R. Polk) (06/02/89)

From article <8906010557.AA09209@crash.cts.com>, by "@UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU:
> I'd be interested to know if the new Appletalk FST and other Appletalk prgrams
> on the new system disk require any modifications to Appleshare 2.0.
>
> Specifically, there are several software programs (along with the hardware to
> hook up to the Appletalk network) that run on the (gasp) IBM and act as an
> Appleshare file server. Taking into account that they will run on an "AT" type
> machine, and hard disk storage is cheaper over on the IBM side of the world,
> it would be cheaper in the long run to set up an Appletalk network with the
> IBM as the server.
>
> I'd be extremely interested to see if anyone has successfully used a GS with
> one of the IBM Appleshare work-alikes.
>
> If there is interest, I'll post any replies to the net.
>
>                                           Kevin Black

We haven't tried it with a PC.  It works with our VAX, it crashes after
it puts up the icon with our Suns.

--
Syd Polk           | Wherever you go, there you are.
jazzman@claris.com | Let the music be your light.

joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) (06/02/89)

Kevin

I had that thought when Apple II support was introduced about a year
ago.  My understanding of the technical realities are as follows:

Apple II support is NOT part of the AFP protocols and therefore is not
supported by ANY third party AFP compatible servers.  This includes
the IBM servers, Vax and Sun servers and dedicated HD boxes.   Apple
II support is an ADDED FEATURE of Apple's AppleShare 2.01 software and
is only feasable with a Macintosh as a server.

I would love to be proved wrong on this, but I believe it accurately
reflects the current state of the art.

Seymour Joseph

jazzman@claris.com (Sydney R. Polk) (06/02/89)

From article <Jun.1.17.31.08.1989.7375@elbereth.rutgers.edu>, by joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph):
> Kevin
>
> I had that thought when Apple II support was introduced about a year
> ago.  My understanding of the technical realities are as follows:
>
> Apple II support is NOT part of the AFP protocols and therefore is not
> supported by ANY third party AFP compatible servers.  This includes
> the IBM servers, Vax and Sun servers and dedicated HD boxes.   Apple
> II support is an ADDED FEATURE of Apple's AppleShare 2.01 software and
> is only feasable with a Macintosh as a server.
>
> I would love to be proved wrong on this, but I believe it accurately
> reflects the current state of the art.
>
> Seymour Joseph
We have a VAX at Claris that is running an AFP file server.  My GS with
system 5.0 has no trouble accessing this machine through the AppleShare FST.
It almost works with the Suns we have, crashing after drawing the icon on
the desktop.  I have a feeling that the Sun AppleShare emulation we
are using is doing something weird which the Mac doesn't care about but
the GS does.

Anyway, GSOS should read any valid AFP volume.  That's what the FST is
designed to do.  It does read the VAX.

--

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (06/02/89)

In article <Jun.1.17.31.08.1989.7375@elbereth.rutgers.edu> joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) writes:
>Kevin
>
>I had that thought when Apple II support was introduced about a year
>ago.  My understanding of the technical realities are as follows:
>
>Apple II support is NOT part of the AFP protocols and therefore is not
>supported by ANY third party AFP compatible servers.  This includes
>the IBM servers, Vax and Sun servers and dedicated HD boxes.   Apple
>II support is an ADDED FEATURE of Apple's AppleShare 2.01 software and
>is only feasable with a Macintosh as a server.

This doesn't sound right--my understanding is that AFP is just there,
and any machine that follows the protocol can access volumes using
AFP.

If you want to actually *boot* an Apple II or IIgs off of the server,
that's a different story--then some special support is required on
the server's end, so that it doesn't just sit there when an Apple II
says "Hey, who are all the available boot servers?"

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) (06/03/89)

Syd,

You are right, I beleive that a GS running System 5.0 should be able
to access any properly written AFP server.  The problems are:

1) You are running unreleased software.  It is not a reality for those
of us in the trenches.

2) I believe you that the system should be able to access any AFP
server, but I maintain that an Apple II can only BOOT from a Macintosh
based server running AppleShare 2.01 or newer.

Seymour

jazzman@claris.com (Sydney R. Polk) (06/03/89)

From article <Jun.2.16.47.03.1989.8291@elbereth.rutgers.edu>, by joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph):
> Syd,
>
> You are right, I beleive that a GS running System 5.0 should be able
> to access any properly written AFP server.  The problems are:
>
> 1) You are running unreleased software.  It is not a reality for those
> of us in the trenches.
True.  Should be released some time in the next two months.
I wish they would hurry up.
> 2) I believe you that the system should be able to access any AFP
> server, but I maintain that an Apple II can only BOOT from a Macintosh
> based server running AppleShare 2.01 or newer.
You may be right there.  We haven't tried to boot off of a VAX or Sun; just
access files there.