[comp.sys.apple] HELP HELP HELP HELP

nuwilken@ndsuvax.UUCP (Scott Wilken) (06/05/89)

I sincerly hope that someone can help me here, because no one else seems to
be able to.

I have an original Epic Classic 2400 inside my IIgs, and I cant get it to
work correctly with the Applelink software.  The strange thing is that it
works 100% correctly with all other software I own (ProTERM, Mousetalk, etc).

I set everything up the way it should be in for applelink to recognize it (as
a super serial card in slot 2 with a hayes connected to it).  The error message
I get is "No I/O board detected in this slot".

I called AppleLink customer service in hope that they had heard of a similar
problem and knew how to solve it.  They walked me through the whole set-up
process, and even checked ALL the settings in my control panel.  Everything
was set up the way it should have been.

On my own, I have tried several different temporary hardware modifications,
including disabling interrupts on the board (which are normally enabled).  I
also ran the self-test on the modem, and it came out OK.

There are no DIP switches on an Epic, so there is no problem there either.

Has anybody else had this problem, or at least know how to fix it?  The chip
on the board is a standard 6551.

Thank you very much in advance for any help you can give me...

Scott Wilken

nuwilken@ndsuvax.UUCP
nuwilken@ndsuvax.BITNET
nuwilken@plains.NoDak.edu     Internet

S.WILKEN1  GEnie mail

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (06/05/89)

In article <2715@ndsuvax.UUCP> nuwilken@ndsuvax.UUCP (Scott Wilken) writes:
>I sincerly hope that someone can help me here, because no one else seems to
>be able to.
>
>I have an original Epic Classic 2400 inside my IIgs, and I cant get it to
>work correctly with the Applelink software.  The strange thing is that it
>works 100% correctly with all other software I own (ProTERM, Mousetalk, etc).
>
>I set everything up the way it should be in for applelink to recognize it (as
>a super serial card in slot 2 with a hayes connected to it).  The error message
>I get is "No I/O board detected in this slot".

I vaguely remember that the solution is to simply ignore the error message and
go ahead.  If your problems persist, leave me personal mail and I'll put you
in touch with someone who has an Epic & is using it with no trouble on a GS.

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

delton@pro-carolina.UUCP (Don Elton) (06/06/89)

Network Comment: to #3332 by obsolete!blake!ndsuvax!nuwilken%beaver.cs.washington.edu

The AppleLink software, when it tells you it can't detect a ROM in slot 2
gives you the option to use the card anyway so you should answer yes and the
EPIC will then work fine with AppleLink.

UUCP: [ sdcsvax nosc ] !crash!pro-carolina!delton
ARPA: crash!pro-carolina!delton@nosc.mil
INET: delton@pro-carolina.cts.com

Pro-Carolina: 803-776-3936 (300-2400 baud, login as 'register')
     US Mail: 3207 Berkeley Forest Drive, Columbia, SC  29209-4111