[comp.sys.apple] Mac sounds on the IIgs

userDBUG@ualtamts.BITNET (Dan Berry) (06/06/89)

>emerrill@pro-carolina.UUCP (Eric Merrill) wrote:
>Does anyone know of a conversion program that would let me use
>Mac sounds on my GS?
Well, I don't know of any program other than the one that I
wrote a few months ago.  The principle behind it, however, is
extremely simple.  I've only been using a sound file on the Macs
known as the FSSD-type -- that is, the Fractal Software Sound
Digitizer type (or compatible).  The sound files consists of only
the waveform data needed for the Mac (or the GS for that matter).
---
All I did was go and use the Apple File Transfer utility to move
the sounds from the Mac to ProDOS, wrote (actually, I rewrote an
older M/L sound routine I did) a program to put it into the Sound
chip's dedicated RAM and play the waveform.  There's just one
catch -- the Mac has different speeds (11 KHz, 22 KHz, 7.4 KHz &
another one I forgot about) in which it plays back these waves.
---
But, by adjusting the GS' DOC chip (namely the 'resolution' and
'frequency' parameters) and having it play an oscillator in one-
shot mode, it will manage it quite well.  In fact, once I got the
one to go it was just a few lines more before I got a rather
haunting 30 oscillators going at different frequencies akin to
something alien.
---
When I get back home I'll have to remember to post my version
(I'm at work).  But there's one more thing: I've really been
having a rough time tracking down a workable version of BINSCII
on a floppy.  Could someone favor me and send a copy on a 5.25"
via land mail to 10535 - 52 Street, Edmonton Alberta, zip code
T6A 2G7 ??   It would be tremendously appreciated!
"You know what I hate?  It's people that act like they're God
when I know that's not the reason why I put them down here..."