[comp.sys.apple] [QUESTION]: How to speed up the LASER 128 repeat-key...

Sirald@cup.portal.com (Andrew Lionel Dalrymple) (05/31/89)

Hello,

	Would any h/w tech-types know WHAT it is in the LASER
128 that I need to tweek to speed up the repeat key?  It goes
much too slow for doing things like the underline boarders
you see above and below my message.

Cordially,

   A. DALRYMPLE		sirald@cup.portal.com
			sun!portal!cup.portal.com!sirald

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (06/01/89)

In article <18970@cup.portal.com> Sirald@cup.portal.com (Andrew Lionel Dalrymple) writes:

>Hello,
>
>	Would any h/w tech-types know WHAT it is in the LASER
>128 that I need to tweek to speed up the repeat key?  It goes
>much too slow for doing things like the underline boarders
>you see above and below my message.
>

>Cordially,
>
>   A. DALRYMPLE		sirald@cup.portal.com
>			sun!portal!cup.portal.com!sirald

	Well, lets see.  If *I* had a Laser 128, and I wanted to
	improve on it, I would probably jump all the resistors
	(no resistance, then it should run faster, right?)

	:-) :-) :-) :-)

Cary Farrier

jac@paul.rutgers.edu (J. A. Chandross) (06/02/89)

Sirald@cup.portal.com (Andrew Lionel Dalrymple)
> 	Would any h/w tech-types know WHAT it is in the LASER
> 128 that I need to tweek to speed up the repeat key?

Having never seen the inside of a Laser, I can only speculate how they
generate the repeat.  It is common practice to use a 555 timer chip to
generate pulses to a keyboard encoder repeat frequency input.  The frequency
to this chip is controlled by a resistor-capacitor pair.  If you look at
a 555 data sheet you'll find the appropriate values for all sorts of time
constants.  Just pick the rate you want and replace the resistor of the RC
pair.  I've done this on an Apple ][+ a great many years ago, and it worked
very nicely.

Needless to say, this probably voids your warranty, and I won't buy you a
new Laser if you butcher it.

Jonathan A. Chandross
Internet: jac@paul.rutgers.edu
UUCP: rutgers!paul.rutgers.edu!jac

jdm@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (James D Mooney,205K,7,2913548) (06/06/89)

From article <18970@cup.portal.com>, by Sirald@cup.portal.com (Andrew Lionel Dalrymple):

> Hello,
>
> 	Would any h/w tech-types know WHAT it is in the LASER
> 128 that I need to tweek to speed up the repeat key?  It goes
> much too slow for doing things like the underline boarders
> you see above and below my message.

According to the Laser 128 Technical Reference Manual, autorepeat
at a *fixed* rate is provided by the keyboard encoder.  The
keyboard encoder for the 128 (and 128/EX) is an 8048 chip,
which is a simplified 8080 with 1K ROM (not PROM) on chip.
Most likely the speed is encoded in the ROM and cannot be changed
unless you can produce an 8048 with a modified program.  It is
a general purpose CPU; there is no place for an external
timing input.
Jim Mooney				Dept. of Stat. & Computer Science
(304) 293-3607				West Virginia University
					Morgantown, WV 26506
INTERNET: jdm@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu

jac@paul.rutgers.edu (J. A. Chandross) (06/07/89)

jdm@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (James D Mooney,205K,7,2913548)
> According to the Laser 128 Technical Reference Manual, autorepeat
> at a *fixed* rate is provided by the keyboard encoder.  The
> keyboard encoder for the 128 (and 128/EX) is an 8048 chip,
> which is a simplified 8080 with 1K ROM (not PROM) on chip.
> Most likely the speed is encoded in the ROM and cannot be changed
> unless you can produce an 8048 with a modified program.  It is
> a general purpose CPU; there is no place for an external
> timing input.

I expect that they have a software delay loop.  However, if you feel
adventurous, you can replace the 8048 with an 8748.  The 8748 is an
8048 but has an EPROM instead of a mask programmed ROM.  If you call
up the Laser people I'm sure they'll tell you the location to change.
And it is very easy to burn an 8748, and they only cost a few bucks..