[comp.sys.apple] Pirating...

pdinh@pro-nucleus.cts.com (Paul Dinh) (05/27/89)

I'm not supporting pirating but come on. A buyer decides to spend 45 bucks for
a GS game (the average price). He/she expects it to be good, but lately, the
software for the GS have not been up to par. I can see why people resort to
pirating as an alternative..

>I'm not supporting pirating but come on. A buyer decides to spend 45 bucks for
>a GS game (the average price). He/she expects it to be good, but lately, the
>software for the GS have not been up to par. I can see why people resort to
>pirating as an alternative..

I can see why people might resort to Nintendo (or even an Amiga), but the
logic behind what you're saying is that the IIgs owner WANTS the game (just
doesn't WANT to pay $45).  Why is the IIgs owner a better judge of the
games value than the producer?  If it isn't worth $45, it'll cost less
soon (buy those "on sale" games quickly as they'll disapper soon after).

Prices (for lots of things) are too high because other people PAY that much.
If you all would just stop buying all those worthless games, programmers
would have to make them better or charge less :-)

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

jasona@pro-europa.cts.com (Jason Asbahr) (05/30/89)

(Gee, aren't we lucky that we lack an "N"-for-immediate-next option?)

Hmm...Someone mentioned pirates selling software.  *I've* never seen that
done.  Most of the unauthorized copying activity that I am privy to involves
no money at all.  None.  - but -  This has been entirely among non-business
types...

  Most of the users with "pirated" copies are hobbyists.  As someone else
mentioned, a business can't AFFORD to use pirated software.  However, the
hobbyist generally writes his own programs and participates in free exchange
of them.  It is almost second nature to treat commercial programs
likewise.

-=-
UUCP: {nosc, uunet!cacilj, sdcsvax, hplabs!hp-sdd, sun.com}
                        ...!crash!pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-europa!jasona
ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-europa!jasona@nosc.mil
INET: jasona@pro-europa.cts.com - BITNET: pro-europa.uucp!jasona@psuvax1

MSER001@ECNCDC.BITNET (05/30/89)

Somewhere, someone writes:
>Hmm...Someone mentioned pirates selling software.  *I've* never seen that
>done.  Most of the unauthorized copying activity that I am privy to involves
>no money at all.  None.  - but -  This has been entirely among non-business
>types...
Hmmmm.  I use to be involved with a couple other people in an Apple Dealership,
and saw some really "strange" things going on.  I saw some Hardware sellers
of various machines that actually gave a xeroxed manual, software with
"written" labels, NO serial number, and figured no one would notice.  Well,
the Accountant was having problems with the software, called the software
company, and of course would not get any help because they did not have
the serial numbers.  And he actually paid for the software.  A call to the
company that sold the system gave NO help.  I told them to call the software
company, and relay the information if they really wanted something done.  I
then left, and let them make the decision.
(What would you do in this case?)

I have also seen one computerland owner give pirated copies of software
out to people, and actually SOLD the pirated copies.  He figured they would
never notice the difference.

But having been a partner in an Apple dealership gave me some unique insights
to what was sometimes going on out in the world of "Move them boxes" type
attitude.  But to my knowledge, we never did the same...

Scott hutinger   mser001@ecncdc.bitnet

rich@pro-exchange.cts.com (Rich Sims) (05/30/89)

Comment to message from: pnet01!crash!pro-europa.cts.com!jasona (Jason Asbahr)

> Most of the users with "pirated" copies are hobbyists.  As someone else
> mentioned, a business can't AFFORD to use pirated software.

A local bank has been purchasing copies of Word Perfect for $25.00 from a
local vendor.  (I think that was the price!)  If necessary, the vendor would
permit someone to make a copy of the original manual, also.

Tell me again about what "businesses can't afford".  The same bank freely
copies Lotus 123 for internal distribution.  Of course, when the individual
gets the program, and complains about not knowing how it works, they'll also
copy the manuals for them.  I suppose the theory here is that this is a
"lesser" offense than purchasing an illegal copy.  :-)

> ... participates in free exchange of them.  It is almost second nature
> to treat commercial programs likewise.

If "theft" is "their" (yours, too??) _second_ nature, what's the _first_??
Murder?  Rape?  Child Molesting?  Seems like the primary ought to at least be
something more "interesting" than the secondary!!

UUCP: crash!pro-exchange!rich
ARPA: crash!pro-exchange!rich@nosc.mil
INET: rich@pro-exchange.cts.com

shawn@pnet51.cts.com (Shawn Stanley) (06/01/89)

jasona@pro-europa.cts.com (Jason Asbahr) writes:
>Hmm...Someone mentioned pirates selling software.  *I've* never seen that
>done.  Most of the unauthorized copying activity that I am privy to involves
>no money at all.  None.  - but -  This has been entirely among non-business
>types...

You just have to know how it happens.  Many users pay BBS "subscription fees"
to have the ability to download software pirated by the sysop.  The sysop is
making money off the deal.

>  Most of the users with "pirated" copies are hobbyists.  As someone else
>mentioned, a business can't AFFORD to use pirated software.  However, the
>hobbyist generally writes his own programs and participates in free exchange
>of them.  It is almost second nature to treat commercial programs
>likewise.

Habit does not make right.  Actually, it occurs to me that most of the users
with pirated copies are actually game players.  I know of several people that
trade pirated games back and forth in what amounts to a sort of barter system.

UUCP: {uunet!rosevax, amdahl!bungia, chinet, killer}!orbit!pnet51!shawn
INET: shawn@pnet51.cts.com

Kreme@cup.portal.com (Lewis Kreme Butler) (06/04/89)

Someone said that there are subscription rates for  pirate BBS's....

Oh really?  Where?  I have never, in my four years of BBSing, seen a board
with a fee.  The only things I have seen that cost are Portal, Genie, and
other services like that, vertainly never a private Pirate BBS.  You need
to find a new number list or something.

-Kreme

tmurphy@wpi.wpi.edu (Tom [Chris] Murphy) (06/06/89)

In article <19116@cup.portal.com> Kreme@cup.portal.com (Lewis Kreme Butler) writes:
>Someone said that there are subscription rates for  pirate BBS's....
>

>Oh really?  Where?  I have never, in my four years of BBSing, seen a board
             ^^^^^

Connecticut.  I don't know if they were pirate boards, but they did charge
a fee for use.  This was some time ago, but the practice still seems to
be there.

Tom

shawn@pnet51.cts.com (Shawn Stanley) (06/06/89)

Kreme@cup.portal.com (Lewis Kreme Butler) writes:
>Someone said that there are subscription rates for  pirate BBS's....
>
>Oh really?  Where?  I have never, in my four years of BBSing, seen a board
>with a fee.  The only things I have seen that cost are Portal, Genie, and
>other services like that, vertainly never a private Pirate BBS.  You need
>to find a new number list or something.

You don't have to subscribe to a pay-BBS to know it costs you money to use.
Just read the notice and move on if you're not willing to pay.

I've seen several, including pirate and non-pirate.  They weren't hard to
stumble across.

UUCP: {uunet!rosevax, amdahl!bungia, chinet, killer}!orbit!pnet51!shawn
INET: shawn@pnet51.cts.com

>Oh really?  Where?  I have never, in my four years of BBSing, seen a board
>with a fee.

The Hartford Apple club's board (the H.U.G.E. 'Bit Bucket') has a fee
(modest but enough to keep out the hooligans) because it's a club member
board (annual dues include the fee).  We may still have one or two users
who pay the BBS fee without paying the club dues (the difference is $10 -
heck the subscription to the Apple Pulp alone is worth that -- read
Vaporware in the original hard copy :-)

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

hzink@pro-nucleus.cts.com (Harry Zink) (06/09/89)

Network Comment: to #1356 by pnet01!crash!ucbvax.berkeley.edu!imagen!atari!portal!cup.portal.com!Kreme

that DID in fact charge for access to their system.  The fee was usually a
one-time lifetime membership fee of around $10 or so.  There were a few BBS'
that did ask (and I'm sure receive) for fees around $20-$30, which was pretty
outrageous..

These days, though, I am indeed hard pressed to find any BBS that still
charges for access.

|UUCP: crash!pro-nucleus!hzink          |Pro-Line: hzink@pro-nucleus        |
|ARPA: crash!pro-nucleus!hzink@nosc.mil |Internet: hzink@pro-nucleus.cts.com|
|"They're just questions Leon...                                            |
| In answer to your query, they're written down for me." -Blade Runner      |