[comp.sys.apple] Apple to IBM

hlb@loral.UUCP (05/26/89)

Does anyone have information on transferring data from IBM pc to Apple
with a null modem?

Thanks

ricks@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Richard M. Smith) (05/30/89)

I'm not sure I fully understand your question, but if you want to connect
a MAC and a PC for file transfer purposes, you might consider MacLinkPlus.
This packages contains a cable, manual, and diskettes. MacLink has programs
that run on both boxes. After starting the program on the PC you use the
Mac program to complete communication, and do the file transfers. MacLink
has some nice features.  First, it is easy to select the various communication
parameters. Next MacLink allows you to change PC drives and directories, and
list files. MacLink also has a lot of translators available, allowing you
to not only transfer a file, but to translate it from one format to another.
Maclink supports data rates to 57.6k baud. I have a PC and a MAC connected
via 10 - 15ft. of cable and I can run at 57.6k!!

Since my two PC serial ports must handle 1 mouse, 1 laser printer, my Unix
mainframe umbilical connection, AND the MAC connection, I use a "blackbox"
switch box for routing. The "blackbox" I use (actually a Patchman), has a
built-in null modem which can be switched in. I connect the Maclink cable
to the switch box, select the null modem, and I'm ready to go.

MacLink is available from:       DataViz Inc.
                                 35 Corporate Drive
                                 Trumbull, CT 06611
                                 (203) 268-0030

(Usual non-affliation disclaimers go here ...)

srh@docwrk.UUCP (Steven R. Houser) (05/31/89)

In article <2056@loral.UUCP> hlb@loral.UUCP writes:
>Does anyone have information on transferring data from IBM pc to Apple
>with a null modem?
>
>Thanks

By "Apple," do you mean Apple II?  If so, I would recommend ProTerm for the
Apple side of the connection.  I use it on a null modem connection with my
AT&T 7300.  It provides many different file transfer potocols, including
kermit and several different kinds of xmodem.  ProTerm is a windowed
communication program designed to be similar to the MS-DOS ProComm.  It's
available on many Apple II bulletin boards.

ProComm for the IBM PC is available on most MS-DOS bulletin boards.  It has
a Host Mode, which I imagine would allow for file transfers, and a variety
of file transfer protocol.  Datastorm Technologies, the manufacturer, asks for
payment, but only after you've had a chance to try out the program.

ProTerm has a Host Mode, too. I have succesfully transferred files between
ProComm in terminal mode and ProTerm in Host Mode.  I haven't tried it with
ProComm in Host Mode, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

I would recommened trying out these two programs, especially since there's
no initial $$$ investment.

Steve

Steven R. Houser    The Document Workshop | "Man is the only animal who
                                          | laughs--or needs to."
srh@docwrk.UUCP      CompuServe 71401,373 |
uunet!osu-cis!n8emr!uncle!oink!docwrk!srh |                  Mark Twain

nuwilken@ndsuvax.UUCP (Scott Wilken) (06/02/89)

In article <36@docwrk.UUCP> srh@docwrk.UUCP (Steven R. Houser) writes:
>In article <2056@loral.UUCP> hlb@loral.UUCP writes:
>>Does anyone have information on transferring data from IBM pc to Apple
>>with a null modem?
>>
>>Thanks
>

>By "Apple," do you mean Apple II?  If so, I would recommend ProTerm for the
>Apple side of the connection.  I use it on a null modem connection with my
>AT&T 7300.  It provides many different file transfer potocols, including
>kermit and several different kinds of xmodem.  ProTerm is a windowed
>communication program designed to be similar to the MS-DOS ProComm.  It's
>available on many Apple II bulletin boards.

Well Steve, if you are using a copy of ProTERM downloaded from a bulliten
board, you are engaging in piracy.  ProTERM is only LEGALLY available from
Checkmate technologies, its not freeware or sharware.

Scott Wilken

nuwilken@ndsuvax.UUCP
nuwilken@plains.nodak.edu (Internet)

In article <36@docwrk.UUCP> srh@docwrk.UUCP (Steven R. Houser) writes:
>By "Apple," do you mean Apple II?  If so, I would recommend ProTerm for the
>Apple side of the connection.  I use it on a null modem connection with my
>AT&T 7300.  It provides many different file transfer potocols, including
>kermit and several different kinds of xmodem.  ProTerm is a windowed
>communication program designed to be similar to the MS-DOS ProComm.  It's
>available on many Apple II bulletin boards.

I did not edit the newsgroups line and remove comp.sys.ibm.pc because some
IBM people may be interested in this too if they are going to transfer from
an Apple to an IBM.

ProTerm is -NOT- freeware/shareware as was implied above. It is a commercial
product that is well worth the investment. It is the best terminal program
I've ever used. Ascii Express comes in a fairly distant second. {No wonder
that ProTerm now seems to be the program almost everyone uses but AE was the
program they used before ProTerm came out}.
..
..
..
>ProTerm has a Host Mode, too. I have succesfully transferred files between
>ProComm in terminal mode and ProTerm in Host Mode.  I haven't tried it with
>ProComm in Host Mode, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work.
>
>I would recommened trying out these two programs, especially since there's
>no initial $$$ investment.

As I just said, that is INCORRECT about ProTerm (unless you want to be a
pirate {OH NO! The naughty "P" word!! Egad. heh heh heh heh}). Oh yes, I will
just ad a little input of my own into the piracy discussion here. ProTerm is
one program I never would have seen had it not been for piracy, and I think
that I would have bought NO programs and just used public domain software/
written my own. In fact, I probably would know a lot more about programming,
but we won't get into that.  ProTerm, CopyIIPlus, and ProSel [when I get a
hard drive for the latter] will all have been bought by me, which I would have
never seen had it not been for piracy.

srh@docwrk.UUCP (Steven R. Houser) (06/04/89)

>Well Steve, if you are using a copy of ProTERM downloaded from a bulliten
>board, you are engaging in piracy.  ProTERM is only LEGALLY available from
>Checkmate technologies, its not freeware or sharware.
>
>Scott Wilken
>
>nuwilken@ndsuvax.UUCP
>nuwilken@plains.nodak.edu (Internet)

Oops.  Guess I'd better get my check in the mail to Checkmate Technologies.

The copy I got from the BBS had the company's address on it, but it contained
no warnings about it not being public domain.  I assumed that if it was
from a BBS, it was at least shareware.

Steve

--

Kreme@cup.portal.com (Lewis Kreme Butler) (06/04/89)

|                                                   ProTerm is a windowed
|communication program designed to be similar to the MS-DOS ProComm.  It's
|available on many Apple II bulletin boards.
|
|ProComm for the IBM PC is available on most MS-DOS bulletin boards.  It has
|a Host Mode, which I imagine would allow for file transfers, and a variety

Porterm is available from Checkamte Techologies in Tempe, AZ.  It costs about
$130 dollars.  I believe ProComm is also a copyrighted program.  In other
words, these programs would not be availbale on the ordinary local BBS.

You would have to have access to a pirate BBS.  These are rather difficult
to get access to sometimes....

-Kreme@cup.portal.com

daveharv@pro-novapple.UUCP (Dave Harvey) (06/08/89)

Network Comment: to #7007 by obsolete!n8emr!uncle!oink!docwrk!srh%tut.cis.ohio-state.edu

>kermit and several different kinds of xmodem.  ProTerm is a windowed
>communication program designed to be similar to the MS-DOS ProComm.  It's
>available on many Apple II bulletin boards.

>I would recommened trying out these two programs, especially since there's
>no initial $$$ investment.

>Steve

Proterm is a copyrighted commercial program and is marketed by Checkmate
Technologies.  It shouldn't be up on bulletin boards.  It sells for about $80
at discount software stores.

proline: pro-novapple!daveharv
uucp: crash!pro-novapple!daveharv
arpa: crash!pro-novapple!daveharv@nosc.mil
Internet: daveharv@pro-novapple.cts.com
DIALCOM: 164:NVC100
Northern Virginia Apple Users Group >pro-novapple< 703-671-0416/300-2400 baud

dale@pro-colony.UUCP (System Administrator) (06/09/89)

Network Comment: to #6883 by pnet01!crash!ucbvax.berkeley.edu!imagen!atari!portal!cup.portal.com!Kreme

ProComm is a shareware IBM comm program.  It is available on many bbs's.  I
believe the shareware fee is around $60.00 from DataStrom.

Dale

 uucp   : crash!pnet01!pro-colony!dale                     pro-colony
 arpa   : crash!pnet01!pro-colony!dale@nosc.mil          (214) 370-7056
 proline: dale@pro-colony                            3/12/2400 baud - 24 hrs