[comp.sys.apple] S.198

davidbrierley@lynx.northeastern.edu (05/26/89)

     A copy of S.198 (previously referred to on Info-Apple) has been
posted here.  The bill mentions that libraries and other non-profit
organizations may lend materials.  Public domain software and shareware
are, by definition, not affected by this proposed legislation.  The real
problem of this legislation is that people who are considering buying a
package cannot legally try it out on their own first.  Furthermore,
people who have compatible-model computers won't always know if a new
software release will run on their machine; as many software publishers
do not test their products on clones and clone manufacturers can't possibly
test all software on their machines.

                                          davidbrierley@lynx.northeastern.edu

>     A copy of S.198 (previously referred to on Info-Apple) has been
>posted here.  The bill mentions that libraries and other non-profit
>organizations may lend materials.  Public domain software and shareware
>are, by definition, not affected by this proposed legislation.  The real
>problem of this legislation is that people who are considering buying a
>package cannot legally try it out on their own first.  Furthermore,
>people who have compatible-model computers won't always know if a new
>software release will run on their machine; as many software publishers
>do not test their products on clones and clone manufacturers can't possibly
>test all software on their machines.

<Thank goodness $1.25 a movie rentals aren't affected ;-) >

Numerous publishers send our (non-profit) computer club demonstration copies
of all sorts of software.  Software vendors DO want to sell their products.
Perhaps, a consequence of the legislation would be even more demo programs
(even game demos which feature only one level of a multilevel game are
possible).

BTW Marketers often get awfully excited about one legislative bill (state
as well as federal) or another.  Some of us earn a modest second income
doing market studies detailing all the horrid (or at least inconvenient)
consequences that one or another proposed act could bring.  Most (more than
99%?) of these bills never make it out of committee.

Thousands of bills are introduced in the Congress every session that are
going absolutely nowhere (but your Congressperson gets to make speeches
saying "My distinguished colleague Senator Farquart and I have introduced
a bill that will solve all the World's problems... <so if only you'll
re-elect me we'll all live happily ever after :-> ).

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

davidbrierley@lynx.northeastern.edu (05/29/89)

     If it will be illegal to lend toasters then just think what else
will be illegal to lend:  computers, printers, calculators, and even
automobiles (which often have microprocessors to handle fuel injection and
other functions)!

                                      davidbrierley@lynx.northeastern.edu

krb20699@UXA.CSO.UIUC.EDU ("Ad finem...") (05/29/89)

     I doubt toasters can be duplicated with the ease that software can.  All
it takes is a $39 bitcopier, and an opinion that matches Long John Silver's.
Unless they create matter copiers...
						     Ken.
						krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

>     If it will be illegal to lend toasters then just think what else
>will be illegal to lend:  computers, printers, calculators, and even
>automobiles (which often have microprocessors to handle fuel injection and
>other functions)!

Zounds!  I hadn't thought of that - used car salesmen will be commiting
an actual felong (there are those who'll insist they've engaged in highway
robbery all along anyhow).  Somebody really should write Senator Hatch
(if he's the author) before hearings on this bill turn truly silly.

nazgul@obsolete.UUCP (Kee Hinckley) (05/29/89)

>      I doubt toasters can be duplicated with the ease that software can.  All
> it takes is a $39 bitcopier, and an opinion that matches Long John Silver's.
> Unless they create matter copiers...

There's a firm in the Boston area that specializes in non-destructive
teleportation.  They use it for sending machine parts to ships and the
like.   You simply give them the part, and they teleport a copy of it to
the ship.

						-kee

(Oh, you want to know how it *works*?  They scan the whole thing with
a laser and get a *very* high-precision 3D model.  The model is then
translated into commands for a computer controled lathe, and the commands
are radioed to the ship.  I don't think the technique works for toasters
yet :-)

Home:	obsolete!nazgul@bloom-beacon.mit.edu
Work:	nazgul@apollo.com
BBS:	obsolete!pro-angmar!nazgul@bloom-beacon.mit.edu
	    or
	nazgul@pro-angmar.cts.com  (somewhat slower though)
	617/641-3722 (300/1200/2400)

-------

rich@pro-exchange.cts.com (Rich Sims) (05/30/89)

Comment to message from: pnet01!crash!cunyvm.cuny.edu!SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET

>>     If it will be illegal to lend toasters then just think what else
>>will be illegal to lend:  computers, printers, calculators, and even
>>automobiles (which often have microprocessors to handle fuel injection and
>>other functions)!

and how about all those back issues of Nibble?  :-)

> Somebody really should write Senator Hatch
> (if he's the author) before hearings on this bill turn truly silly.

Agreed!

UUCP: crash!pro-exchange!rich
ARPA: crash!pro-exchange!rich@nosc.mil
INET: rich@pro-exchange.cts.com

tmurphy@wpi.wpi.edu (Tom [Chris] Murphy) (05/31/89)

In article <memo.131330@lynx.northeastern.edu> davidbrierley@lynx.northeastern.edu writes:

>     A copy of S.198 (previously referred to on Info-Apple) has been
>posted here.  The bill mentions that libraries and other non-profit

A copy was also posted on a local group on campus.  It seemed to me that
non-gainful loans (no financial gain involved) was unaffected.  So I could
still load someone a program, record, video tape, etc. legally.  The problem
I see is with video rental stores.

Tom

--
Thomas C. Murphy         Worcester Polytechnic Institute CAD Lab
Internet:   tmurphy@zaphod.wpi.edu       tmurphy@wpi.wpi.edu

lmb7421@ultb.UUCP (L.M. Barstow) (06/01/89)

Somehow, after reading through the text of the bill, I don't think there
will be much chance of it getting through the system...VCR-rental and
production companies would be really out of a spot, as would
Nintendo-rental places (our area is full of them...some of the video
stores rent them, too.).

--
Les Barstow     LMB7421@RITVAX.BITNET
...rutgers!rochester!ritcv!ultb!lmb7421.UUCP

daveharv@pro-novapple.UUCP (Dave Harvey) (06/01/89)

Network Comment: to #6840 by obsolete!davidbrierley%lynx.northeastern.edu

>are, by definition, not affected by this proposed legislation.  The real
>problem of this legislation is that people who are considering buying a
>package cannot legally try it out on their own first.  Furthermore,
>people who have compatible-model computers won't always know if a new
>software release will run on their machine; as many software publishers
>do not test their products on clones and clone manufacturers can't possibly
>test all software on their machines.

>                                        davidbrierley@lynx.northeastern.edu

One alternative is to shop for software at those stores that allow software to
be returned with no questions asked, such as Egghead for one.  I'm sure
there're others that have the same policy.  I've done that with a number of
programs that I wasn't sure would run on my computer.  Bought it one day
and took it back the next day.

proline: pro-novapple!daveharv
uucp: crash!pro-novapple!daveharv
arpa: crash!pro-novapple!daveharv@nosc.mil
Internet: daveharv@pro-novapple.cts.com
DIALCOM: 164:NVC100
Northern Virginia Apple Users Group >pro-novapple< 703-671-0416/300-2400 baud

Kreme@cup.portal.com (Lewis Kreme Butler) (06/07/89)

B. Dalton's Software Etc. (of all places!) allows a 30 day return on all
purchases.  No questions asked, and not for credit.  Actually return your
money!  (What a country!)

-Kreme

samt@pro-europa.cts.com (Sam Theis) (06/09/89)

Comment to message from: pnet01!crash!uunet.uu.net!portal!cup.portal.com!Kreme (Lewis Kreme Butler)

Lewis Kreme  Butler writes:

| B. Dalton's Software Etc. (of all places!) allows a 30 day return on all
| purchases.   ...

Yeah, on all 10 software packages that they carry for Apple computers.  The
Software, Etc.'s in Houston have reduced their software stock by 50% or more.
The stores are really getting empty.  Most of the stuff that they do carry is
a couple of years old.

Sam
----
UUCP: {nosc, uunet!cacilj, sdcsvax, hplabs!hp-sdd, sun.com}
                        ...!crash!pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-europa!SamT
ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-europa!SamT@nosc.mil
INET: SamT@pro-europa.cts.com - BITNET: pro-europa.uucp!SamT@psuvax1