[comp.sys.apple] IIgs Animation

jstich@pro-avalon.cts.com (Jonah Stich) (06/07/89)

I'm programming (attempting to at least) my IIgs in assembly, and was
wondering if anybody could tell me how to do good animation. I've read Leo J.
Scanlon's section (in his book _Apple IIgs Assembly Language Programming_) but
the routines he presents are *SLOW*. I'm looking for something that gets
somewhat closer to the animation used in games.

I've also perused the Sample Code from APDA dealing with animation, but in
that example, the shapes had to be coded into the program. For more
sophistocated animation, with 25+ shapes, typing them all in in hex could get
quite irksome!

I've thought that the best way to approach the problem would be to load a
picture into memory (created with any paint program) and then copy the figures
to the screen. Am I totally barking up the wrong tree here?

Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Jonah

-- jstich@pro-avalon

UUCP: crash!pro-nsfmat!pro-avalon!jstich
ARPA: crash!pro-nsfmat!pro-avalon!jstich@nosc.mil
INET: jstich@pro-avalon.cts.com

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (06/09/89)

In article <8906080857.AA21986@crash.cts.com> pnet01!pro-simasd!pro-avalon!jstich@nosc.mil writes:
>I've thought that the best way to approach the problem would be to load a
>picture into memory (created with any paint program) and then copy the figures
>to the screen. Am I totally barking up the wrong tree here?

	I am told that the fastest way to copy the figures to the
	screen is rather
	obtuse.  It involves setting the stack pointer to the beginning of
	graphics memory and PEAing each word of data onto the stack, which
	is now the screen.  I suppose that you would either have to save
	a picture in a modified format or load it in in a special way, because
	the picture would actually look like this : PEA <value> PEA <value>
	etc.  So to display the picture, you could JSR to it.  Sounds
	slick but I have never tried it.

Cary Farrier
+------------------------------------+
| #include "All.Standard.Disclaimers"|
+------------------------------------+

ralphw@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (06/10/89)

In article <32331@apple.Apple.COM> farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) writes:
>In article <8906080857.AA21986@crash.cts.com> pnet01!pro-simasd!pro-avalon!jstich@nosc.mil writes:
>>I've thought that the best way to approach the problem would be to load a
>>picture into memory (created with any paint program) and then copy the figures
>>to the screen. Am I totally barking up the wrong tree here?
>
>	I am told that the fastest way to copy the figures to the screen...
>	.. involves setting the stack pointer to the beginning of graphics
>	 memory
Of course, only an Apple //GS or other 65802/65816-based system can do this,
so it's suprising to see this advocated by someone at Apple :-)

Any chance that Apple will start supplying 65802's in their 8-bit machines?

--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.
Internet: ralphw@{ius{3,2,1}.,}cs.cmu.edu    Phone:(412) CMU-BUGS

orcus@pro-lep.cts.com (Brian Greenstone) (06/10/89)

Network Comment: to #4322 by pnet01!crash!pro-avalon.cts.com!jstich

I am presently writing a short article on IIgs animation and shape drawing.  I
should have the article finished within the week and I'm going to put it up on
AppleLink.