[comp.sys.apple] custom icon questions again

hartkopf@tramp.Colorado.EDU (HARTKOPF JEFFREY M) (06/13/89)

To Dave Lyons:  For some reason I couldn't get this letter to you through
E-mail like I was able to with my first one, so I'll post it...

Dave,

Sorry to bother you again but I'm stuck once more trying to draw icons in
windows with DrawIcon.  I guess my problem isn't that I'm not doing the
DrawIcon parameters right, but that my icon format must be wrong.
I figured out how to draw an icon in a dialog box using NewDItem, where
the format for the icon was

MyIcon:
record
	BoundsRect:	Rect;
	Data:		Array[1..11, 1..7] of byte;
end;

(remember I'm using TML Pascal).  Then I used the StuffHex procedure like

StuffHex(@MyIcon.Data[1], 'abcdef12345678');
StuffHex(@MyIcon.Data[2], '00030030400201');
StuffHex(@MyIcon.Data[11],'10357182748274');

or whatever (this for the Dialog box version).  Now in your letter to me you
said I should do it using an array of char like array[0..200] of char, and
then using StuffHex like

StuffHex(@MyIcon[0], '1029492412a2');
StuffHex(@MyIcon[6], '........

and so on.  Is this the method for IconItem's or DrawIcon?  I tried this way
but it still didn't work with DrawIcon.  What exactly is the format for
a DrawIcon icon?

Thanks very much.  Hopefully I won't have to bother you again. :-)

--Jeff Hartkopf,  hartkopf@tramp.Colorado.EDU

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (06/13/89)

In article <9365@boulder.Colorado.EDU> hartkopf@tramp.Colorado.EDU (HARTKOPF JEFFREY M) writes:
>To Dave Lyons:  For some reason I couldn't get this letter to you through
>E-mail like I was able to with my first one, so I'll post it...

Actually, I think your letter did get through...it's probably lying on my
floor.  (All together now...let's say "Dave is way behind and really should
never print out a message instead of replying to it immediately.")

>[...] I figured out how to draw an icon in a dialog box using NewDItem, where
>the format for the icon was
>
>MyIcon:
>record
>	BoundsRect:	Rect;
>	Data:		Array[1..11, 1..7] of byte;
>end;

That's fine.  Even better than Array[0..xxx] of byte, since it makes the
structure more obvious.  It doesn't matter how many bytes you put on a
line, as long as your declaration matches your StuffHex statements.

>or whatever (this for the Dialog box version).  Now in your letter to me you
>said I should do it using an array of char like array[0..200] of char, and
>then using StuffHex like
>
>StuffHex(@MyIcon[0], '1029492412a2');
>StuffHex(@MyIcon[6], '........
>
>and so on.  Is this the method for IconItem's or DrawIcon?

You can StuffHex for any purpose you want.  It'll work for either iconItems
and for DrawIcon icons, but you need to stuff *different* data for DrawIcon
than you need to stuff for iconItems.

>What exactly is the format for a DrawIcon icon?

See Toolbox Ref Vol 2, page 17-3.  The format is different from DrawIcon.

>--Jeff Hartkopf,  hartkopf@tramp.Colorado.EDU

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

In article <32384@apple.Apple.COM> dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) writes:

>You can StuffHex for any purpose you want.  It'll work for either iconItems
>and for DrawIcon icons, but you need to stuff *different* data for DrawIcon
>than you need to stuff for iconItems.
>
>> [I wrote] What exactly is the format for a DrawIcon icon?
>
>See Toolbox Ref Vol 2, page 17-3.  The format is different from DrawIcon.

This is great, and I know I need those manuals but I haven't been able to get
them yet.  However I really need to know the answer to my question (format
for a DrawIcon icon) now, so if someone would be so kind as to summarize
for me what it says on page 17-3 of Volume 2, I would be VERY grateful.
In particular, if they give an example of making an icon of the right
format and with the right kind of data for DrawIcon.

Thanks so much.

Jeff Hartkopf
hartkopf@tramp.Colorado.EDU
University of Colorado at Boulder