[comp.sys.apple] GS Resource Editors

hzink@pro-nucleus.cts.com (Harry Zink) (06/05/89)

With the impending release of system 5.0 for the GS, and the consequent
availability of resource forks (which are a blessing on the Mac) I would like
to bring up the subject of resource Editors for the GS - more precisely: Are
there any available right now?

dseah@wpi.wpi.edu (David I Seah) (06/05/89)

In article <8906051019.AA24521@crash.cts.com> pnet01!pro-sol!pro-nucleus!hzink@nosc.mil writes:
>With the impending release of system 5.0 for the GS, and the consequent
>availability of resource forks (which are a blessing on the Mac) I would like
>to bring up the subject of resource Editors for the GS - more precisely: Are
>there any available right now?

The upgrade notification for TML Pascal II notes that a resource editor has
been added!  It ships July 1st, I think.  I don't know if the resource editor
is a stand alone one, though.  I am not sure how it will even work! :(

Is there any degree of compatibility between Mac resources and GS resources?

Dave Seah (dseah@wpi.wpi.edu)

jazzman@claris.com (Sydney R. Polk) (06/06/89)

From article <8906051019.AA24521@crash.cts.com>, by hzink@pro-nucleus.cts.com (Harry Zink):
> With the impending release of system 5.0 for the GS, and the consequent
> availability of resource forks (which are a blessing on the Mac) I would like
> to bring up the subject of resource Editors for the GS - more precisely: Are
> there any available right now?

The new APW update has a Rez (a resource compiler) and a little pre-release
resource editor.  the resourc editor can eat disks, and is not recommended
at this point.  Rez works just like MPW on the Mac.

We are waiting for the MPW IIGS Cross developement version.

--
Syd Polk           | Wherever you go, there you are.
jazzman@claris.com | Let the music be your light.

jazzman@claris.com (Sydney R. Polk) (06/06/89)

From article <2572@wpi.wpi.edu>, by dseah@wpi.wpi.edu (David I Seah):
> In article <8906051019.AA24521@crash.cts.com> pnet01!pro-sol!pro-nucleus!hzink@nosc.mil writes:
> The upgrade notification for TML Pascal II notes that a resource editor has
> been added!  It ships July 1st, I think.  I don't know if the resource editor
> is a stand alone one, though.  I am not sure how it will even work! :(
>
> Is there any degree of compatibility between Mac resources and GS resources?

Well, considering that the release notes we have have no predefined resources,
they can be as compatible as you like.  However, I am sure that the II group
will define some standard ones.

--

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (06/06/89)

In article <10245@claris.com> jazzman@claris.com (Sydney R. Polk) writes:
>Well, considering that the release notes we have have no predefined resources,
>they can be as compatible as you like.

Eh?  There are plenty of standard resource types--they may not be defined in
the Resource Manager chapter, but they're defined.

No, there is not a whole lot of compatibility with Mac resources.  We have
1-word resource types and 2-word resource IDs (the mac has 4-character resource
types and 1-word IDs).  Probably the format of the String resources is pretty
compatible, but I haven't really looked.  Most stuff is different.

And the format of the forks is very different, too.

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

mdavis@pro-sol.cts.com (Morgan Davis) (06/10/89)

Network Comment: to #7957 by pnet01!crash!apple.com!claris!jazzman

I wonder if the MPW Cross Development System will ever incorporate a resource
converter.  ResEdit on the Mac such a pleasure to use, it would be nice to be
able to utilize it for creating GS/OS resources with the help of a conversion
program.  Or, is there a IIGS version of ResEdit in the works?

UUCP: crash!pnet01!pro-sol!mdavis		ProLine:  mdavis@pro-sol
ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-sol!mdavis@nosc.mil	MCI Mail: 137-6036
INET: mdavis@pro-sol.cts.com			ALPE|BIX: mdavis

mmunz@pro-beagle.cts.com (Mark Munz) (06/11/89)

Network Comment: to #8627 by pnet01!crash!pro-sol.cts.com!mdavis

> Or is there a IIGS version of ResEdit in the works?

Morgan, I think Apple includes a mini-ResEditor with System 5.0 and according
to some of the stuff I've read and seen, a full-blown ResEditor from a 3rd
party should be available in September..

--Mark Munz

In article <8906110816.AA28645@crash.cts.com> pnet01!pro-beagle!mmunz@nosc.mil writes:
>Network Comment: to #8627 by pnet01!crash!pro-sol.cts.com!mdavis
>
>> Or is there a IIGS version of ResEdit in the works?
>
>Morgan, I think Apple includes a mini-ResEditor with System 5.0 and according
>to some of the stuff I've read and seen, a full-blown ResEditor from a 3rd
>party should be available in September..
>
>--Mark Munz

The System Software release does not include a resource editor of any type.
What will be available from APDA as development tools, on the other hand, has
not yet been announced.

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions expressed in this tome
Send PERSONAL mail ONLY (please) to:  | should not be construed to imply that
AppleLink PE: Matt DTS  GEnie: AIIDTS | Apple Computer, Inc., or any of its
CompuServe: 76703,3030                | subsidiaries, in whole or in part,
Usenet:  mattd@apple.com              | have any opinion on any subject."
UUCP:  (other stuff)!ames!apple!mattd | "So there."