[comp.sys.apple] Need Chameleon

mead@hamal.usc.edu (Dick Mead) (06/07/89)

	I need to find a working copy of Chameleon. This
	is a utility program that can transfer files between
	Apple DOS/PRODOS/PASCAL/CPM diskettes. I have tried
	the version I found on Genie (version 1.0) but this
	one keeps giving me an error message about Disk I/O
	error, even though it does not actually access a disk
	at the time. I have tried 3 different systems (IIe/c/gs)
	and 3 versions of prodos (101/111/114) with the same
	results. All other features seem to work, as I can
	read directories of the disks of the 4 types. The date
	of this program is in 1987, so maybe someone knows of a
	newer version, that works. Thanks in advance.

	Dick <mead@hamal.usc.edu>

>    I need to find a working copy of Chameleon. This
>    is a utility program that can transfer files between
>    Apple DOS/PRODOS/PASCAL/CPM diskettes. I have tried
>    the version I found on Genie (version 1.0) but this
>    one keeps giving me an error message about Disk I/O
>    error, even though it does not actually access a disk
>    at the time. I have tried 3 different systems (IIe/c/gs)
>    and 3 versions of prodos (101/111/114) with the same
>    results. All other features seem to work, as I can
>    read directories of the disks of the 4 types. The date
>    of this program is in 1987, so maybe someone knows of a
>    newer version, that works. Thanks in advance.

The version on APPLE2-L worked when I tried it before posting it.  Since
it's been there for 2 years and others apparently have downloaded it, I
gather it's an uncorrupted copy.  I don't own a IIgs so there could be
some problem that doesn't appear on my //e or //c.

The Chameleon program will do what you want.  It is available in
files 87-00030 and 87-00031 on the APPLE2-L list server at the BITNET
node BROWNVM.  To obtain these files, send the commands

GET APPLE2-L 87-00030
GET APPLE2-L 87-00031
  to: LISTSERV@BROWNVM.BITNET <--- NOTE! to LISTSERV not to APPLE2-L!!!

An even better alternative would be to send the SHAREWARE FEE to the address
displayed by the program (and in the documentation) and ask for the latest
version by return mail.

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

thomasw@vlsi3.CS.Concordia.CA (Thomas Wieland 1728423) (06/09/89)

In article <8906071043.aa02588@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (Murph Sewall) writes:

>The Chameleon program will do what you want.  It is available in
>files 87-00030 and 87-00031 on the APPLE2-L list server at the BITNET
>node BROWNVM.  To obtain these files, send the commands
>
>GET APPLE2-L 87-00030
>GET APPLE2-L 87-00031
>  to: LISTSERV@BROWNVM.BITNET <--- NOTE! to LISTSERV not to APPLE2-L!!!

Sorry if this question has been asked before, but when you say "send the
commands..." - is that the same as sending those two lines by E-mail to the
given address?  Or are those ftp commands (why the uppercase then?).

>An even better alternative would be to send the SHAREWARE FEE to the address
>displayed by the program (and in the documentation) and ask for the latest
>version by return mail.
Problem is, if you don't have the program, you also don't know the address.
Would you know it by any chance?  I would be very interested in a program that
does what Chameleon seems to do.  I've tried the Universal File Converter
utility, but found it unsatisfactory as it does not recognize ProDOS paths
(only S6,Dn), is slow, and generally cumbersome to work with (the user interface
sucks!)

If possible, send answers by E-mail to my address above, our news system is
a bit flakey at the moment and swallows ~1/2 of all articles.

>Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
>Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
>Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
>U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
>           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

Thomas Wieland                      E-mail:  thomasw@jupiter.cs.concordia.ca
Dept. of Computer Science               or:  thomasw@concour.cs.concordia.ca
Concordia University
Montreal, PQ  Canada                 Phone:  (514) 848-3039

sb@pro-generic.cts.com (Stephen Brown) (06/10/89)

Network Comment: to #2252 by pnet01!crash!bloom-beacon.mit.edu!usc!hamal.usc.edu!mead

There is a DOS 3.3/CPM disk that converts text files between the two
environments.  Of course, if you want to go DOS <-> ProDOS, you'll need
something like Copy II Plus. I'm not sure what will handle Pascal.

Anyway, if you're interested, you can order "DOS-CP/M HYBRID", disk CPM-11 or
disk A-133 from LOGIC, Canada's oldest and largest Apple User Group. Disks are
$11.48 (Canadian) for non-members. Send money order or VISA number to:

LOGIC
P.O. Box 696, Station "B",
Willowdale, Ontario
CANADA   M2K 2P9

LOGIC stands for the "Loyal Ontario Group Interested in Computers", and is
registered in the province of Ontario as a non-profit organization.

Stephen Brown

ProLINE: sb@pro-generic.cts.com

-------->Sometimes you feel like a nut
                   sometimes you don't<----------

larryv@pro-carolina.UUCP (Larry Virden) (06/10/89)

Network Comment: to #3408 by obsolete!SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET%cunyvm.cuny.edu

I have never been able to get a copy of Chameleon to work on my IIgs, and
I have downloaded from apple2-l several times, as well as from a couple of
other sources.  Perhaps there is a relationship here - I have never been
able to get a downloaded version of kermit to exec either!

>>The Chameleon program will do what you want.  It is available in
>>files 87-00030 and 87-00031 on the APPLE2-L list server at the BITNET
>>node BROWNVM.  To obtain these files, send the commands
>>
>>GET APPLE2-L 87-00030
>>GET APPLE2-L 87-00031
>>  to: LISTSERV@BROWNVM.BITNET <--- NOTE! to LISTSERV not to APPLE2-L!!!
>>
>Sorry if this question has been asked before, but when you say "send the
>commands..." - is that the same as sending those two lines by E-mail to the
>given address?  Or are those ftp commands (why the uppercase then?).

email the two lines.  BITNET doesn't support 'ftp' (case, however,
doesn't matter -- LISTSERV will buy mixed case commands).

>If possible, send answers by E-mail to my address above, our news system is
>a bit flakey at the moment and swallows ~1/2 of all articles.

In general, I think it courteous to (try anyway) send answers to the
individual who asks a question as well as to the list (when the answer is
likely to be of wider interest).

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

ALBRO@NIEHS.BITNET (06/14/89)

There have been several messages, some of which are juotations from other
messages, suggesting that Chameleon may not work on a IIgs.  I checked an
old copy of Chameleon 1.0 that I knew was working on a IIe.  The boot disk
ran ProDOS-8 v.1.4, jumping into Prosel, from which Chameleon was selected.
This was on a IIgs with 1.25M of memory , one 3.5" drive, and one 5 1/4"
drive.  Bootup was from the 3.5" drive.  The only non-ProDOS disk I had
handy was a DOS 3.3 5 1/4" floppy (which was in the 5 1/4" drive, as you
might suspect).  File transfers between the two worked fine.

However ***   Chameleon must be allowed to find and identify the disks.  If
you put a disk in a drive after Chameleon has booted, you must make the
menu selection that allows Chameleon to re-check the drives.  There is no
way for you to tell Chameleon what kind of disks are where, if it doesn't
know by itself.  In any case, Chemeleon worked the same way on my IIgs as
on the IIe.  So those having problems with it may have received corrupted
downloads.

-Phil Albro-