[comp.sys.apple] SmartPort eject call

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (06/15/89)

In article <722@lakesys.UUCP> barak@lakesys.UUCP (Mark Litscher) writes:
>Ok all of you apple guru's out there, I need help!
>
>I have a apple //c, with a unidisk 3.5, 1200bps modem, and a printer. I wrote
>this ml program in an attempt to get my unidisk to eject a disk. when I execute
>it nothing happens
>[...]
>1190 *--------------------------------
>1200 ctrllst    .eq *
>1210        .hs 00
>1220 *--------------------------------

There's the problem--you need TWO bytes for the length of the control
list.  (My, what a weird set of pseudo-ops!)

Note that your code really ought to be doing a STATUS call to identify the
device as type $01 (3.5" disk) before making Control call 4.
Revision A and B Apple SCSI cards interpret Control code 4 as FORMAT!
They were perfectly free to do this, since they were built while
Control code 4 was just a device-specific eject call for the UniDisk 3.5
and Apple 3.5 drives, not a general eject command.

>|  Mark Litscher                        |  "Ahead warp zillion!"             |
>|  barak@lakesys.COM                    |  "Ack phbbbt!"                     |

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

barak@lakesys.UUCP (Mark Litscher) (06/15/89)

Well that was my problem, I mis-read the examples in the //c tech. ref. taking
DW as DFB (2 bytes vs. 1 byte). Thanks alot!