[comp.sys.apple] Joystick Conversion

tribby@hpindda.HP.COM (David Tribby) (06/21/89)

I've got a joystick that goes back to my ][+ days. It has the old style
connector, which still works with the GS on the socket located about in the
middle of the mother board. The joystick connector is just a smidgen too
large to fit through any of the cable mounting holes in the back of the
GS. When I want to use the joystick, I have to take the lid off the GS.

Anyone know where I can get an adapter to convert from the old to new
style connectors? Then I could use the joystick port on the back of
the GS (same style as on the //e).

Thanks,
  - Dave Tribby

APTC1%MKVAX1@msus1.BITNET (Verbal masterbation in the body of beauracratic nonsence) (06/22/89)

Well, I had the same set up.  All I did is take a good sharp razor to the edges
of the pot and trimmed the connector down to fit through the small access
hole/slot on the back of the GS.  Not worth pouring a lot into that old Joystick
because it really doesn't work great at full speed anyway.

nuwilken@ndsuvax.UUCP (Scott Wilken) (06/22/89)

In article <6230037@hpindda.HP.COM> tribby@hpindda.HP.COM (David Tribby) writes:
>I've got a joystick that goes back to my ][+ days. It has the old style
>connector, which still works with the GS on the socket located about in the
>middle of the mother board. The joystick connector is just a smidgen too
>large to fit through any of the cable mounting holes in the back of the
>GS. When I want to use the joystick, I have to take the lid off the GS.
>
>Anyone know where I can get an adapter to convert from the old to new
>style connectors? Then I could use the joystick port on the back of
>the GS (same style as on the //e).
>
>Thanks,
>  - Dave Tribby

Well, I dont know where you can buy one, but I built one.  All the pinouts
you need (all two of em :) are in the manuals that came with your gs.

Just buy a 9 pin connecter (male I believe, but its been so long since ive
looked that I forget..  Obviously it is easy enuf to figure if you look), a
jacket for the 9 pin connector, a 16 pin DIP socket (Wire wrap is the easiest
to deal with if you know how to use a wrapping tool), and some wire.  All
these parts are readily available at *ANY* electronics store (I found all the
parts at a local radio shack (ick!)).

Just follow the pinouts in the manuals and connect the proper pins together.
The whole thing takes like 10 or 15 minutes to do.

Scott

! Internet:  nuwilken@Plains.NoDak.EDU         AppleLink PE:  Wilken          !
! UUCP:      uunet!ndsuvax!nuwilken            GEnie Mail:    S.WILKEN1       !
! Bitnet:    NUWILKEN@NDSUVAX                  CompuServe:    75130,1571      !

>I've got a joystick that goes back to my ][+ days. It has the old style
>connector, which still works with the GS on the socket located about in the
>middle of the mother board...
>
>Anyone know where I can get an adapter to convert from the old to new
>style connectors? ...

I've got a Pad-Apple and a simple adaptor I picked up at an AppleFest or a
tag sale (I don't remember which) and both are less than fully satisfactory.
The problem is that the connection between the adaptor and the 9-pin connectors
isn't solid, and the ones I have don't permit the screws to lock the connection
into place :-(

Pad-Apple (which I got so long ago I haven't the address handy, but I believe
they still advertise in the Apple magazines, and someone on the net's bound
to post the address) does makes versions that plug into the internal 16 pin
and provides BOTH an external 16 pin and 9-pin (or two external 16 pins, or
2 external 9-pins).  Pad-Apple uses a ribbon cable which exits through the
top but is thin enough to permit the top to be closed over it.

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

lipo@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Patrick Lipo) (06/23/89)

I also own a couple of II+ Joysticks that I use on my GS.
It seems that with a little tricky manuevering of the connector
you CAN get those things to fit.  (I know, my old stick is
an utter behemoth.)  You just have to be very careful.
However, there is another way.  If you don't want to do all
that wiring, there is an adapter I obtained a couple of years
ago made by... I think... a company called Wico.  I don't know
whether it's still available.

---
! !
---